So disappointed with Royal Caribbean

12 minutes ago, Jarmo said:

I have never seen a bad performance of Cats on any RC ship.

It's not about a good or bad performance of Cats on RC ships -- as far as the performance on Oasis it's pretty good. The problem is most people can't get into the story line or plot as it's loosely defined. Yes there is amazing dancing, lovely songs, silliness 99.9% of the time, and Memory is a terrific song - but that's about it. Your experience?

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It's not about a good or bad performance of Cats on RC ships -- as far as the performance on Oasis it's pretty good. The problem is most people can't get into the story line or plot as it's loosely defined. Yes there is amazing dancing, lovely songs, silliness 99.9% of the time, and Memory is a terrific song - but that's about it. Your experience?

I have never seen a performance of Cats on any RC ship.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I left before halftime. Great costumes and performers were fine.  I just prefer a plot.  Life’s too short to sit through something on vacation that I don’t enjoy.  

26 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I keep punishing myself each cruise by giving Spectra's Cabaret another chance.  😞

But I do enjoy WWRY every time.

Not spectra the other one maybe it’s not anthem but I swore it was. It’s long it might be about a family that lost their mom. No one really knows what it’s about. It’s long and the only color seems to be gray. It’s from the 20s. Spectra is ok because it’s short. 

"Cats" is a musical adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" -- music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by T.S. Eliot (and others).  It has no plot.  It's like a cat -- it just wanders around and does what it thinks is interesting.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Just now, LadyZolt said:

"Cats" is a musical adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" -- music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, lyrics by T.S. Eliot (and others).  It has no plot.  It's like a cat -- it just wanders around and does what it thinks is interesting.  🙂

There is a loosely configured plot - about a cat chosen to be reborn, but few can figure it out. Lots of people hate on Andrew Lloyd Webber, but his other musicals have been much more popular and loved.

• Like 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

There is a loosely configured plot - about a cat chosen to be reborn, but few can figure it out. Lots of people hate on Andrew Lloyd Webber, but his other musicals have been much more popular and loved.

I love Andrew Lloyd Webber.  My favorite of his is "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and I'm pretty sure I know most of the lyrics to the songs in it.  "Phantom of the Opera" is a close second.  I love Cats -- "Mr. Mestoffelees" is my favorite song (I know for everyone else, it's "Memory," but I like the magical cat song.)  Still, if you want a plot, CATS is not the production to see.  😉 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

Not spectra the other one maybe it’s not anthem but I swore it was. It’s long it might be about a family that lost their mom. No one really knows what it’s about. It’s long and the only color seems to be gray. It’s from the 20s. Spectra is ok because it’s short. 

The Gift.  Yeah, that's a strange one.

The production shows on Empress, Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign, Legend, Splendour, Rhapsody, Enchantment, Grandeur, Vision, Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel, Serenade, Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Independence, Liberty.

What is the plot?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Four letter word...... CATS!!!!!

My oh my what a train wreck!   Some people in a board room somewhere actually said, "This is great!  Let's make this a featured show on one of our premier cruise ships.  We'll make millions!"

Do the actors and actresses actually enjoy performing in this debacle?  

I will never watch this show again.

Choice: Walk barefoot over hot coals, then broken glass, then rusty nails, then cute kittens or.... rewatch Cats?  Easy decision.

Your title is correct in terms of the production shows. Royal Caribbean shows since Nick Weir took over are more miss than hits. Original shows by RCL like The Effectors, Columbus the Musical, 270 shows, Voices, etc are so bad. The visual effects are amazing but the plot and song choices are corny. Also how many versions of the Showgirls show can they put on the ships? Same show just different titles.

The new aqua shows are basic carbon copies of each other like Hiro, Intense, Aqua 80s. Same choreography just different music. The choice for broadway shows is pretty much outdated ones that have passed their prime except hairspray. 
In my opinion, the only area that the RCL production show team has consistently delivered great shows is with the Ice shows. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tx121 said:

Your title is correct in terms of the production shows. Royal Caribbean shows since Nick Weir took over are more miss than hits. Original shows by RCL like The Effectors, Columbus the Musical, 270 shows, Voices, etc are so bad. The visual effects are amazing but the plot and song choices are corny. Also how many versions of the Showgirls show can they put on the ships? Same show just different titles.

The new aqua shows are basic carbon copies of each other like Hiro, Intense, Aqua 80s. Same choreography just different music. The choice for broadway shows is pretty much outdated ones that have passed their prime except hairspray. 
In my opinion, the only area that the RCL production show team has consistently delivered great shows is with the Ice shows. 

Hairspray not passed it’s prime? It hit Broadway 20 years ago and been gone for 13 years. The movie is 15 years old.  It’s been many years since I saw Hairspray on a Royal ship.  For shows, it’s no spring chicken.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Hairspray not passed it’s prime? It hit Broadway 20 years ago and been gone for 13 years. The movie is 15 years old.  It’s been many years since I saw Hairspray on a Royal ship.  For shows, it’s no spring chicken.   

yes it is an older production but it is still enjoyable to watch and not passed it’s prime (meaning it is still popular) unlike cats, grease, we will rock you. 

Edited by tx121

6 hours ago, loman said:

I am not one for musicals of any kind. I will go to variety shows though .

But not that guy with the whip show .

Hahahaha I know which show you mean with the whip. I skip it every time too. Just not my thing. It's been on liberty I think every time. 

I have cats to look forward to on oasis I think.

I did oasis twice when it was almost brand new and it had hair spray. Have oasis booked with john next march. 

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Some of the songs are a bit silly, but if at the end you are not tearing up at Memory, you have no heart.  Or you have never had a pet.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Or you have fallen asleep.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bound4Bermuda said:

Boarding in 9 days. My 14-year-old theater kid and I are fully prepared for it to be terrible, but we’re going to force ourselves to see it through. Hopefully we can laugh about how bad it is??

If you have seen it before and like it then you will also like it on the ship. They do a good job putting on a bad show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you have seen it before and like it then you will also like it on the ship. They do a good job putting on a bad show.

That’s a good perspective, lol. We have not seen it yet. But just based on what I’ve read on this board between this and the other Cats/Oasis thread, it sounds like it’s almost a feline version of Scientology. From an outsider’s perspective, it’s a futile effort to try to understand the logic of what these cats believe, but I can understand that they believe they’re being chosen to ascend to space or whatever. 🤷‍♀️ Yet, I’m prepared for this to be less entertaining than that Leah Remini Scientology expose show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

I love Andrew Lloyd Webber.  My favorite of his is "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and I'm pretty sure I know most of the lyrics to the songs in it.  "Phantom of the Opera" is a close second.  I love Cats -- "Mr. Mestoffelees" is my favorite song (I know for everyone else, it's "Memory," but I like the magical cat song.)  Still, if you want a plot, CATS is not the production to see.  😉 

I love Joseph as it’s original cantata.  Then they expanded it to a full musical and ruined it.  The difference between the original music and the added is jarring and just does not mesh IMHO.  As for Cats - 🎶McCavity the Mystery Cat is called the Hidden Paw🎶