Cost of drinks as they figure into the 'is it worth it' calculation

As everyone know, the Deluxe Beverage package (DBP) has been incrementally going up over the last 12 months.  I understand ALL of the multitudes of reasons why they are and also understand the RCL needs to make a buck... (A-hem - cough/cough/cough)...

To make a better personal choice calculation, we also need to know what the on-board price of drinks are doing as well...At they going up as well?  If so, what is the going rate for a cocktail that is covered by the DBP?

If the per-drink price is not going up then how does RCL justify the increase?

They justify it because they can charge whatever the market will allow. If people are willing to pay higher costs and they're still selling just as many drink packages (or at least making just as much profit) then technically, by economics principles, they were not charging enough previously.

At some point the supply and demand curves will stop intersecting and they'll stop raising prices, but unless people stop buying at the higher price, they have no good business reason to lower them.

As to your question regarding the "is it worth it" conundrum...well, that's a personal decision. For me, the alcohol package is way too overpriced for me to see value in it. I'm not going to drink enough alcohol (or non-alcohol) beverages 7 days in a row to get the dollar-for-dollar value out of it, and there's not enough intrinsic value in the "all inclusiveness feeling" of having it.

I buy the refreshment package. It cost me $189. The alcohol package would cost me $603. I might drink $50-$100 worth of alcohol all week (if any), so if I pay out of pocket for that, I'm at $289 (refreshment package + out-of-pocket expense). It's not worth it to me to pay an additional $313 just to have the peace of mind of having the all-inclusive feeling, or "just in case" I want to drink more alcohol. I know myself, I know I won't drink an additional $313 of alcohol. 

People seem to forget that you're still allowed to drink alcohol on a cruise even if you don't have the package. You can pay out of pocket for drinks. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

.At they going up as well?

The basic math hasn't changed much - generally, if you know for sure you'll have at least 5 alcoholic drinks per day every day, get the package in the planner.

• Like 3

I manage that pretty well through day 4 or 5.  Unfortunately I find I wimp out after that.  We are trying OOP this time.  I have mixed feelings about it.  As a “frugal” type, I know I will drink less because it’s not prepaid.  But with it, I would force myself to drink more than I would want.  Thankfully will be Diamond after this cruise.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, poocher said:

I manage that pretty well through day 4 or 5.  Unfortunately I find I wimp out after that.  We are trying OOP this time.  I have mixed feelings about it.  As a “frugal” type, I know I will drink less because it’s not prepaid.  But with it, I would force myself to drink more than I would want.  Thankfully will be Diamond after this cruise.

Plus the two bottles of wine per cabin can help get through dinners.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The basic math hasn't changed much - generally, if you know for sure you'll have at least 5 alcoholic drinks per day every day, get the package in the planner.

Agree 100%.    Don’t understand the need to be so precise 

Something else that isn't brought up much (if at all)... many will say "when you add the specialty coffees, bottled water, juices, etc, it's easy to get your money's worth."  

BUT, all of those are also available with the refreshment package.   From what I've been seeing the difference between the refreshment & DBP is ~$50/day.  Assuming $15 (including tip)/alcoholic drink, and you need to average 3.33 ALCOHOL drinks every day to make the package "worth it".  Now, some may say 3 drinks and the extra $5 is part of the "all inclusive feel".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Plus the two bottles of wine per cabin can help get through dinners.

Yes, I am debating with myself over bringing wine & a 12 pack of diet ginger ale.  I know my husband will balk at carrying stuff on board 🤷‍♀️

A lot of people tend to use the $13 drink price to calculate break-even, which is the price of a "cocktail", but there are less expensive drinks like beer for $7.50, simple mixed drinks for $10, and wine for $12 and under.  I think a person really needs to list out what they expect to drink and make the decision.  For me:

$7.00.....2x bottles of water @$3.50
$24.00.....2x glasses of wine with dinner @$12.00
$33.00.....3x mixed drinks (Scotch) @$11.00

That's $64, so at a price of $65 for hte DBP, all I need is one more bottle of water, a fancy coffee drink, glass of OJ, or an extra cocktail or mixed drink and I'm "in the black". 

The issue is, with bringing 2 bottles of wine and access to evening cocktails in the SL (we always books suites) we've never considered ther DBP.  But for our next cruise, I figured I'd try it, mainly for the convenience of not having to trek up to the CL when we want evening drinks.  Plus, if it's already paid for, I won't be mentally counting all those purchases!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rudeney said:

A lot of people tend to use the $13 drink price to calculate break-even, which is the price of a "cocktail", but there are less expensive drinks like beer for $7.50, simple mixed drinks for $10, and wine for $12 and under.  I think a person really needs to list out what they expect to drink and make the decision.  For me:

$7.00.....2x bottles of water @$3.50
$24.00.....2x glasses of wine with dinner @$12.00
$33.00.....3x mixed drinks (Scotch) @$11.00

That's $64, so at a price of $65 for hte DBP, all I need is one more bottle of water, a fancy coffee drink, glass of OJ, or an extra cocktail or mixed drink and I'm "in the black". 

The issue is, with bringing 2 bottles of wine and access to evening cocktails in the SL (we always books suites) we've never considered ther DBP.  But for our next cruise, I figured I'd try it, mainly for the convenience of not having to trek up to the CL when we want evening drinks.  Plus, if it's already paid for, I won't be mentally counting all those purchases!

and shots are included also though not sure of the price of shot on board

6 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

and shots are included also though not sure of the price of shot on board

Same as the price for the "mixed" drink - e.g. $10 for Johnny Walker Black with ice and water, or as a shot - your choice.

7 hours ago, poocher said:

That is when it really kicks in. We have 17 nights coming up on Ovation and Quantum Sep./Oct. That makes it 170 voucher drinks or $2607. Wife has a few waters or coffees but I have no problem using all the vouchers every day for alcohol.  It is a very nice perk. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Hold on. Both he and his partner need to drink 5 or more a day. Not just him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Hold on. Both he and his partner need to drink 5 or more a day. Not just him.

The math is usually per person- things might get more complicated if you try to figure it out for more people. 

The last two cruises we were on (this year) we were surprised to find out that booze bought through the ship's store could be taken back to the cabin the same day and....they no longer confiscated and held booze bought on in port.  Might be a way around the high drink prices. 

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

What about the 4-5 drinks you get everyday through the loyalty program? The free ones plus the five you have to drink to make the package worthwhile means ten a day. Almost a weeks worth to some of us.

Just now, grandgeezer said:

What about the 4-5 drinks you get everyday through the loyalty program?

We are only talking about the package itself- if you have other perks, you have to add those to the equation. 

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

The last two cruises we were on (this year) we were surprised to find out that booze bought through the ship's store could be taken back to the cabin the same day and....they no longer confiscated and held booze bought on in port.  Might be a way around the high drink prices. 

You were lucky someone screwed up, because that is certainly not the case (unless you shopped the last night)

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 3:13 PM, mac66 said:

WAIT - Can anyone confirm that??  That indeed might be a different way around the DBP.  Need confirmation...Is this on all ships...?