Booze Cruise Hope Not

ScottC4746

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

When I did the RCCL cruise, a lot of the other passengers were, let's just say a bit edgy and rough around the edges.  It almost had a feel of, "uncle got out of prison so we are doing a family trip," type crowd.  I know we are comparing different categories of cruise lines like comparing a VW to a Rolls Royce.  Just thought the higher end cruise line would deter some of that.

Comparing RCCL with Celebrity and considering it VW / Rolls Royce isn't a fitting comparison. Celebrity is certainly not a Rolls. Maybe a more suitable example would be VW via a vis Audi.

All I can say is that for "clientele snobs" the only safe bet is to go for Cunard or Seabourn. The former Crystal Cruises (RIP) would have fit the bill as well.

Both RCCL and Celebrity are middle of the pack retail lines and while a whole lot better than Carnival I wouldn't expect it to be the graveyard shift. Especially on Mexican Riviera and Caribbean routes.

Maybe a Pacific Coastal down from Vancouver/Seattle would fit your taste more? I think this year they're only 6 nights from what I've seen on the sales flyer.

Edited by Fly and Sail
  • Like 1

We took one short Celebrity cruise and swore - NEVER again.  It was a booze cruise and full of "not your typical" Celebrity cruises.  I hope you would have a better experience but ours was terrible.  Loud, rude and falling down drunk passengers.  Made for interesting people watching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

When I did the RCCL cruise, a lot of the other passengers were, let's just say a bit edgy and rough around the edges.  It almost had a feel of, "uncle got out of prison so we are doing a family trip," type crowd.  I know we are comparing different categories of cruise lines like comparing a VW to a Rolls Royce.  Just thought the higher end cruise line would deter some of that.

This most common on Caribbean cruises, especially on shorter sailings. More common on RCCL than on celebrity. Alaska sailing on celebrity was not like this at all. 

12 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

1 hour ago, letsgogogo said:

This most common on Caribbean cruises, especially on shorter sailings. More common on RCCL than on celebrity. Alaska sailing on celebrity was not like this at all. 

Alaska sailings are all min 7 days and it's not really a quick "long weekend" party destination. They are also pretty pricey compared to Mexican Riviera and Caribbean.

• Like 1

The time of year, the time of week and fare costs all contribute.  If it's over spring break/holiday and/or a weekend, much higher odds it'll be a booze cruise.  Same goes for the costs, if you search the cost of insides and oceanviews and see one sailing is significantly cheaper than other sailings it increases the odds of that sailing being a booze cruise.

• Like 1

We have done a few short cruises on Celebrity (and RCCL) because we live close to the FLL and MIA and it's a nice weekend getaway. Frankly, there was more "partying" on the 7-night Bermuda cruise out of Port Liberty we took in 2019 than we ever saw on a Celebrity short cruise and that was before almost everyone got Always Included. You definitely get more family groups and other groups on the Bermuda cruises than you do on Celebrity cruises in other destinations.

Everyone talks about how Celebrity has more upscale clientele, but I don't care what cruise line you are on there are always those people that are going to get their money's worth out of their drink package. They only spoil your cruise if you let them.

And it does happen on more upscale cruise lines as witnessed by the couple in the next cabin on our last Oceania cruise. The wife came back from shore and passed out halfway in and halfway out of her cabin and the next day a team in protective clothing had to come and deep clean the room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 day tends to not fit for most weekend warrior calendars. There's always the Solarium, your balcony, and any number of lounges aboard to seek refuge.  Unlikely to see any wild behavior beyond daytime main pool so I wouldn't worry about it at all. It will likely be a younger crowd but I wouldn't be concerned about it being a party barge. 

• Like 2

Self-employed Floridians here. We go on a lot of short cruises out of Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and Cape Canaveral (RCL) because the short getaways tend to be all our schedules will allow.

In our experience the Celebrity short cruises tend to be less booze cruise-ish than some of the other lines. As with anything there are exceptions. My "rules" I do not go on short cruises during the college Spring Break period going out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I also avoid school vacation times. It is the same as going to Disney - go when everyone else is at work or in school (favorite time for both Disney & Cruising is between Thanksgiving & Christmas)

After our recent Alaska cruise (7 days on Celebrity) I am adding any holiday to my list to avoid or proceed with caution. We went over the July 4th holiday weekend and experienced behavior we have never seen before. By the way - this cruise had 250+ children on board - they were very well behaved - some of the adults not so much!

We did a 4 day cruise out of Fl.   It was a great bargain and a add on to an existing cruise.  

It was a hen party for many and also had a younger group than what was normally on a Celebrity cruise.

The younger crowd were there for the party aspect and the hen groups would camp out at tables near a bar, or in the buffet, or solarium close to food and booze.   The hens would play games eating and drinking all day and the young crowd would occupy the pool area during the day and the lounges at night.  

There were also a few large family groups.   I think they were the most annoying as they would take over many areas by having someone reserving seats, tables and etc. 

Still wasn’t bad.  Would go again if the price is right 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, miched said:

It was a hen party for many

2 hours ago, miched said:

The hens would play games eating and drinking all day

I'm sorry, but the term "hens" sound derogatory no matter how you try and spin it.

2 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

I'm sorry, but the term "hens" sound derogatory no matter how you try and spin it.

AFAIK, just another name in the U.S. for a "bachelorette party" pre-wedding.

In Canada, I believe they have been called "stagette" parties.

• Like 1

In 2019, I booked a 6-night W Carib cruise while aboard the Silhouette TA, to make it a B2B.  There were some of the sloppiest, knee-walking drunks I've ever seen, on any cruise ship or even Mardi Gras. I'd survived chemo that year and my hair hadn't grown back yet (peach fuzz).  I got on the forward elevator and a really bombed young man with a shaved head, and sporting some magnificent artwork, joined me.  He gave my head a good hard look and slurred "I really like your haircut."  It's now one of my all-time favorite cruise memories and makes me laugh while I type this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

AFAIK, just another name in the U.S. for a "bachelorette party" pre-wedding.

In Canada, I believe they have been called "stagette" parties.

You are correct that is what they are called. 

3 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

That's a new one for me...

Still, crude and sexist.

For whom?

There's an entire industry that creates and sells items specifically for “Hen Parties”.

Apparently women aren’t bothered. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

We were on a 5 night Cabo cruise on Princess a few years ago.  The highlight was at 3am on the night before Cabo there was an in cabin announcement telling Miss so-and-so of cabin such-and-such to call Guest Services.  Went on every 10 minutes for about an hour.  Eventually the announcement said she was found.  I heard she was found passed out in a crew elevator.  It was President's weekend.  Over 400 kids.  Last time I do that.

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

For whom?

There's an entire industry that creates and sells items specifically for “Hen Parties”.

Apparently women aren’t bothered. 😉

In the UK as far as I know, Hen Party, or "hen do" which loosely means "bride's shindig" is almost always used instead of Bachelorette.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 2:44 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Guarantee while there will be a few that will overindulge; it will be no different than the cruise we took on Infinity with 1400 Aussies and 400 Kiwis where Celebrity ran out of beer 6 days into a 14 day cruise.  If someone was overserved someone assisted in getting them to their cabin.

Some 5 or 6 years ago there was a large group on a cruise during Spring Break.  Things got rowdy and there were numerous incidents on board.  At the next port a couple dozen passengers were thrown off and arrested.  Many others were packed up and left on the pier. 

Just wondering when did Infinity come to Australia / NZ? 

No one blinks at the term stag party, or calls it crude and sexist.

Calling the women's version a doe party is a bit too dough sounding (though a nice bit of bread, with accessories, or a doughnut would go well with some bubbles).

Conversely, it wouldn't go down well is some circles if a men's pre-wedding party was named after the male counterpart to a hen 😎

Haha, calling it a stagette makes me think it would be a diminutive of a stag party, and I wouldn't want that 😳

Cheers, h. 🥂

• Like 1