Balcony Access Limited

Tigger Mom

Looking at Stateroom L-108 on Discovery Princess. Description says "Club Class Mini Ste Balc Access Limited While ship at at sea."

It's an aft location and looks larger that most other mini-suites. Can you help me understand the "access limited" part?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigger Mom said:

It's an aft location

No it’s not. It is all the way forward. I am not sure if they actually restrict access while the ship is in motion but if you go out there then you would be facing a 20+ mph wind. Just like at the bow of a Grand Class ship that has a wraparound Promenade. Windy and loud. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tigger Mom said:

Looking at Stateroom L-108 on Discovery Princess. Description says "Club Class Mini Ste Balc Access Limited While ship at at sea."

It's an aft location and looks larger that most other mini-suites. Can you help me understand the "access limited" part?

No, L108 is forward.  And people Love it, as it’s so large and sells out quickly. 

Balcony access limited, due to possible wind while at sea.  Because it is forward.

You should read the reviews for it on CC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, L108 is forward.  And people Love it, as it’s so large and sells out quickly. 

Balcony access limited, due to possible wind while at sea.  Because it is forward.

You should read the reviews for it on CC.

Thanks for quick answers! I did mix up my aft and stern! Is there somewhere that I can type in stateroom number and get reviews?

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

12 minutes ago, Tigger Mom said:

Thanks for quick answers! I did mix up my aft and stern! Is there somewhere that I can type in stateroom number and get reviews?

The stern is aft.

The bow is forward.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tigger Mom said:

Some of these are Royal or Regal, which are Royal class ships. Gives you lots of reviews and discussions.

I was in a balcony cabin all the way forward on a cruise many years ago.  The cabin steward locked the balcony doors every evening and unlocked them every morning.  So we did not have access to the balcony after the evening turn-down service.  No moonlit nights.

We had one of those Lido deck minis on the Sky.  It was very windy and loud.  You could hear the wind whipping around at night.  You could go out there but you would be blown around if the ship was moving.

Our lido deck forward facing cabin was not locked and for half the cruise we could stand near the rail with no wind even.  The other half there was no wind when seated by the door but very windy when standing by the rail.  The door was never locked by the crew.  In fact the crew only serviced our cabin once/day.  That area of the ship is very quiet too.  Very little foot traffic.  We have L108 booked for Feb and really looking forward to it.  

I was in M106 in April and have since booked it and L105 for subsequent cruises.  We used it every day but one and loved it.  We were next to M108 and it was quite a bit windier than ours as it is more exposed.  They had to have their furniture tied down a few days.  The balcony is lovely though. In ours, the doors were never locked.  

11 hours ago, caribill said:

The stern is the blunt end.

The bow is the pointy end.

Not necessarily so. There are vessels that have both bow and stern that are blunt and there are vessels that have both bow and stern pointy.

20 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

No it’s not. It is all the way forward. I am not sure if they actually restrict access while the ship is in motion but if you go out there then you would be facing a 20+ mph wind. Just like at the bow of a Grand Class ship that has a wraparound Promenade. Windy and loud. 

And if the ship is facing a 20 mph head wind, the wind would feel more like a 40 mph blast. However, if the 20 mph wind is a tail wind, it could be quite comfortable out there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I was in a balcony cabin all the way forward on a cruise many years ago.  The cabin steward locked the balcony doors every evening and unlocked them every morning.  So we did not have access to the balcony after the evening turn-down service.  No moonlit nights.

We have spent over 100 nights in these cabins on Royal,Regal and Sky and none of our cabins ever had a lock other than the standard lock on the slider.We have not used the balcony on only a few nights due to weather!

21 hours ago, brisalta said:

The stern is aft.

The bow is forward.

And for those who are still confused - LOL - the bow is the pointy end of the ship and the stern is the rounded or flat end of the ship.

And, for a bonus info, PORT is LEFT side facing forward, and STARBOARD is RIGHT side.  Easy to remember since PORT and LEFT have the same number of letters. 

ETA:  Oh dear me.  I should hold off responding when there are several more posts to come because there is at least a 90% chance what I have to say has already been said.  😉

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

And for those who are still confused - LOL - the bow is the pointy end of the ship and the stern is the rounded or flat end of the ship.

Thanks a whole lot.  Now I have the Monty Python skit re Pointed Sticks going in my mind and I cannot turn it off.  I might have to start singing Small World to supplant the Pointed Stick routine.

• Haha 2

If you go on YouTube, Legglife just posted a series of videos from a Royal Class ship in one of those rooms.  They loved it and the balcony was big enough for them and their two friends who were staying in an interior room nearby.  The only issue is that there were some pieces of the ship that they had to look around.  But otherwise, the views were great!  If it was windy, they stayed near the balcony door and the wind was not a factor.

We were in L103 on the Regal. The slider was NEVER !ocked. We were free to use our balcony as we wanted. However, drapes needed to be pulled each night so lights do not interfere with the Bridge. T

The balcony is huge. But if you want to chill on the balcony, beware that you can not see the scenery due to the railing being solid and not clear. (Sitting position)