Concierge vs Penthouse New on Vista

RetiredandTravel

We're looking at a 11 day Med cruise on the Vista, there are no sea days although we would probably carve out one.  Not sure I'm seeing the advantage to the Penthouse over the Concierge @ $3500.  I started another thread that we would definitely go with the PH on a longer SA cruise with many sea days.  Not sure I see the advantage in a shorter cruise, we are new to Oceania so Concierge gives us specialty priority & 4 specialty resos.  The itinerary is so busy that we really aren't in the room much.   What am I missing?  I get the Butler could get us more resos & in room specialty dinners.

ty

Edited by RetiredandTravel

5 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We're looking at a 11 day Med cruise on the Vista, there are no sea days although we would probably carve out one.  Not sure I'm seeing the advantage to the Penthouse over the Concierge @ $3500.  I started a thread that we would definitely go with the PH on a longer SA cruise with many sea days.  Not sure I see the advantage in a shorter cruise, we are new to Oceania so Concierge gives us specialty priority & 4 specialty resos.  The itinerary is so busy that we really aren't in the room much.   What am I missing?  I get the Butler could get us more resos & in room specialty dinners.

ty

It is  a personal choice

We do not spend much time in the cabin so for us  we book a B or C  cat  sometimes we move to an A

Pick the cabin that works best for your  needs

Some  need/like  the extra space of a PH to be happy  & the Butler to make  their time in the cabin special by serving them meals

Maybe you do not need/want those  perks

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is  a personal choice

We do not spend much time in the cabin so for us  we book a B or C  cat  sometimes we move to an A

Pick the cabin that works best for your  needs

Some  need/like  the extra space of a PH to be happy  & the Butler to make  their time in the cabin special by serving them meals

Maybe you do not need/want those  perks

Ty 

Concierge makes sense for new people correct? vs Basic Veranda that is

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Ty 

Concierge makes sense for new people correct? vs Basic Veranda that is

Depends on what is important to you

There is not right or wrong choice  just what works best for your wants/needs

• Thanks 1

We have 4 Vistas booked for 23 and 24. Love the fabulous design of all the cabins, but the extra space, closet space, and bathroom space of the PHs is appreciated. The Butler is nice but the other is more appreciated. PH necessary - no. Enjoyed - yes. If you are on the R class ships the difference in spaciousness is a qualitative not just subjective criteria. 

• Like 1

We are booked on nearly full Panama Canal cruise on Vista in Concierge with a waitlist for PH. As I Iook at the cabin layout for Cat. A and below balconies on Vista, however, I see that the layout avoids the one major nit we have with Riviera and Marina...the sliding door closet against the bed. On Vista the closet is away from the bed with what appears to be much easier access. The rest of the cabin layout looks just fine, including the bath so we may actually decline the PH when/if offered. Butler service is not a priority for us and even on a cruise that has a lot of sea days, we tend to be out and about around the ship and don't spend that much time in the cabin. So, in summary, IMHO PH avoids disadvantages in cabin layout on O ships (closet location) and on R ships which also have the tiny bathrooms in cabins below PH category. On Vista I see nothing to avoid in balcony cabins below PH. So depends if butler, more space and earlier specialty restaurant booking window are important to you

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  On Regent the Concierge suite gives you a time priority for excursions & specialty restaurants reservations,  because frequent cruisers get this priority after Silver (20nights) its important for new cruisers to get the Concierge over the Veranda to not get shut out on excursions and decent spec resos..  The Concierge Suite is also quite a bit more expensive because it also includes one night hotel & upgraded (4) internet.

Unless I'm missing something  Oceania looks completely different.  Excursion obviously don't matter (they are included on Regent) but I don't see that frequent cruisers get Specialty Reservation timing benefits.  Am I missing something?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Images/EmailAssets/domestic/Sales/81604468085/MAR183971_OceaniaClubFlyer_new2.pdf

Given the lowish cost differential and the benefits (laundry, specialty restaurants timing, club etc) the Concierge looks like a good decision over Veranda on Oceania.

Edgee my wife likes a walk in closet (not the end of the world) so that's a big plus to the PH for us. 

Still not sure on the PH for $3500 on a 11 day cruise that has no sea days.  thanks again

3 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks everyone.  On Regent the Concierge suite gives you a time priority for excursions & specialty restaurants reservations,  because frequent cruisers get this priority after Silver (20nights) its important for new cruisers to get the Concierge over the Veranda to not get shut out on excursions and decent spec resos..  The Concierge Suite is also quite a bit more expensive because it also includes one night hotel & upgraded (4) internet.

Unless I'm missing something  Oceania looks completely different.  Excursion obviously don't matter (they are included on Regent) but I don't see that frequent cruisers get Specialty Reservation timing benefits.  Am I missing something?

Even though Regent is part of the NCLH family they are different from Oceania

You are not missing anything

The restaurant reservation system on O  depends on several things  but everyone get  a chance to pre book their allotted number of reservations

For me I would use the $3500 for BIZ class air  but that is me LOL

Enjoy

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The restaurant reservation system on O  depends on several things  but everyone get  a chance to pre book their allotted number of reservations

ty Regent is very hierarchical (room $$, #days) so if you are new in a veranda suite you can get shut out of excursions and get poor specialty reservation ( 9PM the last night).

If you could save me from searching thru old threads I'd appreciate it how do the Specialty reservations work below Concierge just first come first serve opening the same day no matter frequent cruiser status?

6 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

ty Regent is very hierarchical (room $$, #days) so if you are new in a veranda suite you can get shut out of excursions and get poor specialty reservation ( 9PM the last night).

If you could save me from searching thru old threads I'd appreciate it how do the Specialty reservations work below Concierge just first come first serve opening the same day no matter frequent cruiser status?

Check the FAQ

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477713-When-can-I-make-reservations-in-the-specialty-restaurant-

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

benefits (laundry, specialty restaurants timing, club etc) the Concierge looks like a good decision over Veranda on Oceania.

In my opinion and experience the Club is not that big of a benefit. Other than the newspapers there is nothing there that isn't available to everyone on the ship no matter the level they are sailing in. Might not be as convenient, but not exclusive. There really is no difference in the Executive & Concierge lounges other than floor & design. 

The laundry & specialty restaurant earlier booking are decent benefits and worth taking into consideration.  Another concierge benefit that appeals to some people is the access to the Spa Terrace area. 

As to your question on below Concierge, yes, it's pretty much whatever is left for reservations. The key to getting good times when you are at that level is being willing to share. Unfortunately, in the post covid sailing world many people are leery of that, and rightfully so. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

In my opinion and experience the Club is not that big of a benefit. Other than the newspapers there is nothing there that isn't available to everyone on the ship no matter the level they are sailing in. Might not be as convenient, but not exclusive. There really is no difference in the Executive & Concierge lounges other than floor & design. 

The laundry & specialty restaurant earlier booking are decent benefits and worth taking into consideration.  Another concierge benefit that appeals to some people is the access to the Spa Terrace area. 

As to your question on below Concierge, yes, it's pretty much whatever is left for reservations. The key to getting good times when you are at that level is being willing to share. Unfortunately, in the post covid sailing world many people are leery of that, and rightfully so. 

ty 

The marketing material also says the concierge suite has an expanded room service menu, is that significant?  Looks like its 600-800 total for the concierge over veranda seems worthwhile.

3 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

ty 

The marketing material also says the concierge suite has an expanded room service menu, is that significant?  Looks like its 600-800 total for the concierge over veranda seems worthwhile.

I'm not familiar with the expanded room service menu. It used to be to get hot breakfast you had to stay in a Concierge or higher, but that has changed. It might be you can order from the GDR for dinner now. Someone that knows for sure might chime in.  Keep in mind that the rooms on the larger ships are the same exact layout and size as the verandas. 

Pre covid Concierge could order lunch & dinner from the GDR menu during  lunch/dinner service  plus the room service menu   as well as hot breakfast  but I believe the hot breakfast is now for all cabins  but whether it stays that way when  back to full ships is yet to be determined

I would book the extended B cat balcony over a Concierge  if it was a Caribbean or warm weather cruise with time to enjoy the balcony space

since you say you are on a port intensive cruise   then not worth worrying about

If you are the type of people that like to have dinner in your cabin after a long day ashore  I would go for the PH  ..more options for dining in

JMO

9 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Edgee my wife likes a walk in closet (not the end of the world) so that's a big plus to the PH for us. 

Actually while the PH on Vista has more closet space than Concierge, it appears not to have a walk in closet, from what I can see of the floor plan. Perhaps a distinction without a difference given the addl space, though.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:27 AM, edgee said:

We are booked on nearly full Panama Canal cruise on Vista in Concierge with a waitlist for PH. As I Iook at the cabin layout for Cat. A and below balconies on Vista, however, I see that the layout avoids the one major nit we have with Riviera and Marina...the sliding door closet against the bed. On Vista the closet is away from the bed with what appears to be much easier access. The rest of the cabin layout looks just fine, including the bath so we may actually decline the PH when/if offered. Butler service is not a priority for us and even on a cruise that has a lot of sea days, we tend to be out and about around the ship and don't spend that much time in the cabin. So, in summary, IMHO PH avoids disadvantages in cabin layout on O ships (closet location) and on R ships which also have the tiny bathrooms in cabins below PH category. On Vista I see nothing to avoid in balcony cabins below PH. So depends if butler, more space and earlier specialty restaurant booking window are important to you

Agree. Found that sliding closet door a real pain.

20 hours ago, edgee said:

Actually while the PH on Vista has more closet space than Concierge, it appears not to have a walk in closet, from what I can see of the floor plan. Perhaps a distinction without a difference given the addl space, though.

Yes I noticed that in the PH.  Certainly enough room but a walk in would have been nicer IMO.   The Concierge look like a larger closet(deeper) but I guess not a walk in.  Regent & Oceania Veranda (Concierge) suites are about the same size but Regent has a walk in closet looks like the Vista opted for a large shower.  Anyone interested, very similar Med cruises (backout airfare add excursions etc)  on Regent (new ship also) are 6k more than Oceania for a Concierge and a PH on the Vista is 3k cheap than a Concierge on Regent.  

50 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Yes I noticed that in the PH.  Certainly enough room but a walk in would have been nicer IMO.   The Concierge look like a larger closet(deeper) but I guess not a walk in.  Regent & Oceania Veranda (Concierge) suites are about the same size but Regent has a walk in closet looks like the Vista opted for a large shower.  Anyone interested, very similar Med cruises (backout airfare add excursions etc)  on Regent (new ship also) are 6k more than Oceania for a Concierge and a PH on the Vista is 3k cheap than a Concierge on Regent.  

But  do you not get more perks on Regent ??

all inclusive  compared to Oceania  where you pay for the things you want/use 🤔

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

But  do you not get more perks on Regent ??

all inclusive  compared to Oceania  where you pay for the things you want/use 🤔

Yes I try my best to make it apples to apples, I take out airfare add excursions ($400 per), drinks ($120/day)  tips to Oceania.  I do not include Oceania's credit for excursions OBC or drinks. Regent prices went up a lot in '24 (it is a new ship in Med) but I think Oceania did also.  Oceania Med cruise on the Vista '24 is the same as Silversea (old ship) '23, again apples to apples - # days room category etc.  SS '24 coming out soon will see.