Formal nights/Dining Room

janroatan

The formal nights on Princess have been very much relaxed since the return from the Covid shutdown, especially in the Caribbean. 

What you describe is just fine. Jackets and ties are still on option for those that like them for photo's but aren't at all necessary.

The women have always had the opportunity to wear just about anything & call it formal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janroatan said:

How "formal" does one have to dress, in particular the men ?

Jackets? Ties?

Or would a nice dress shirt, dress pants be acceptable?

You will be fine with that outfit. Despite what many will try to tell you otherwise.

• Like 4

Our first cruise on Holland America has 2 formal nights (dark suit/Tux), another night where a sports coat/tie were required and the rest of the nights casual (this was on a 7 night Caribbean cruise) in 2006.   I think the next year they eliminated the sports coat night. 

Now I just wear a dress shirt and dress pants.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janroatan said:

How "formal" does one have to dress, in particular the men ? Jackets? Ties? Or would a nice dress shirt, dress pants be acceptable?

The requested attire is a sports coat/jacket, so that is what I wear. A nice dress shirt and dress pants may or may not get you refused entrance. It can depend on where the cruise is, who is in charge, etc.

But I wear what they request.

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/important-information/dress-code/2468

PS I am sure the couple in the picture have never been on a Princess cruise.....

38 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The requested attire is a sports coat/jacket, so that is what I wear. A nice dress shirt and dress pants may or may not get you refused entrance. It can depend on where the cruise is, who is in charge, etc.

But I wear what they request.

https://www.princesscruises.de/en/holiday-princess/important-information/dress-code/2468

PS I am sure the couple in the picture have never been on a Princess cruise.....

Interesting how the Germany Princess website has different language than the North American "home" website.  Not sure why you selected that one, but it was interesting to see the difference.

That said, no one is getting turned away in "a nice dress shirt and dress pants".

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That said, no one is getting turned away in "a nice dress shirt and dress pants

I was wondering where that website came from.

On our last cruise my husband who normally wears dress pants with his guayabera or polo shirt tested them by wearing his jeans with his Polo on a formal night.

No one blinked an eye. 

• Like 2

We do the Country Club casual scene. Nice shirt/slacks or nice khakis/nice shoes(Sperry topsider or Timberland boat shoes. Usually a sport coat if doing the specialty rest. No ties(unless the ship is cool)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Interesting how the Germany Princess website has different language than the North American "home" website.  Not sure why you selected that one, but it was interesting to see the difference.

Honestly, I didn't notice the /de/ until after I posted it.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Are you sure ? How would you know? 

Because they greeted us at the door just like all the other people, the head waiter was there to make sure we got our "special order" and that everything was correct and to our liking, a maitre d whos just joined the ship recognized us & stopped by to say hello. 

If anyone would have had any problem with my husband's dress you would have thought someone out of the group would have said something. 

Things have definitely changed recently. 

40 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Because they greeted us at the door just like all the other people, the head waiter was there to make sure we got our "special order" and that everything was correct and to our liking, a maitre d whos just joined the ship recognized us & stopped by to say hello. 

If anyone would have had any problem with my husband's dress you would have thought someone out of the group would have said something. 

Things have definitely changed recently. 

Your husband wore a dress? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I practically live in my jeans. Capris in the summer. Formal nights are a chance to dress up and wear jewelry! It is part of the experience. And I never get to see my husband in a suit except on cruises. I am looking forward to our cruise in August. I just mind my business and do what we enjoy. I don't care what others do.  That is the cruise line to decide. 

• Like 4

On 7/14/2022 at 4:24 AM, janroatan said:

How "formal" does one have to dress, in particular the men ?

Jackets? Ties?

Or would a nice dress shirt, dress pants be acceptable?

No it’s not very formal unless you want it to be.

• Like 2

I have been sailing on cruise ships since 2003.  I have never worn a tie around my neck.  I did wear a blazer for several years but quit it in the early 2010's.  I went from khakis to black jeans several years ago and now for the last few years have simply worn my guayabera shirt with the jeans.  I have always worn my athletic shoes.  I have been to AK, HI, Mexican Riviera, Caribbean, northern Europe, South America both through the canal and around the horn.  I do not intend to change my ways at this late date.   Simply ties and coats much less suits are not required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:50 AM, MissP22 said:

The formal nights on Princess have been very much relaxed since the return from the Covid shutdown,

I made the following observation at work the other day:  “Before Covid, when a meeting, conference or dinner suggested “Business Casual” attire, that was an indication that you could dress DOWN a bit. Now when Business Casual attire is requested, people have to UP their dress.” Working at home in shorts, T-shirts and pajamas for a year and a half caused the return-to-the-office attire to be far more casual than ever before. I think this is true everywhere including cruise ships. 

11 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

I practically live in my jeans. Capris in the summer. Formal nights are a chance to dress up and wear jewelry! It is part of the experience. And I never get to see my husband in a suit except on cruises. I am looking forward to our cruise in August. I just mind my business and do what we enjoy. I don't care what others do.  That is the cruise line to decide. 

We love the formal nights and find it sad the people don't dress up anymore. Like you said that is what the "Cruise Experience" is supposed to be.  Used to be fun to see people dressed to the 9's in formal dresses and tuxedos or suits/ties.   Even the waitstaff wears their tuxedos.  My wife has the best suit and bow tie collection right down to matching shoes.  People always comment on her outfits.  It's fun to pick out the suits before the cruise.   We love to dress up and will continue to do so.   Maybe on formal nights they should have one dining room for the dressed up and the other dining room for the dressed down!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ohmandi said:

the "Cruise Experience"

That is exactly the problem here.  What your view of the "cruise experience" is supposed to be is not necessarily what other people's view is.  There is no reason in my opinion to separate people just because they have different ideas.  Enough of that today in the world already.  Just accept that people are different, not wrong just because they have different ideas.

• Like 2

We’re scheduled for our 14th Princess cruise. The first few, I wore my tux. Then, traveling with other couples, we went with suits. This same group traveled together again and transitioned to sport coats and no ties. The ladies still dressed up but a little more casual. I think cruise location has some impact on how the majority of people dress. A bit more formal in Europe compared to a Mexican Riviera cruise. 
Based on personal preference, I stick to the sport coat as an acceptable compromise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

That is exactly the problem here.  What your view of the "cruise experience" is supposed to be is not necessarily what other people's view is.  There is no reason in my opinion to separate people just because they have different ideas.  Enough of that today in the world already.  Just accept that people are different, not wrong just because they have different ideas.

But I don't quite think that is the point here. If the cruise line sets a standard, then people should follow it. What there is "enough of in the world already" is people thinking rules do not apply to them. They are free to make up their own rules. That some cruise lines do not enforce the rules vigorously should not be an excuse to flaunt the rules. These companies are trying to make cruising pleasant for everyone and they don't want to lose customers.

But if you go on a cruise line that asks for certain dress at night, in certain restaurants and certain special nights then you should conform or choose a cruise line that does not make those requests.

The "different ideas" people have should not be, how far can I push this envelope. There should be a space where we do things we may not love, but do it for the community at large.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

But I don't quite think that is the point here. If the cruise line sets a standard, then people should follow it. What there is "enough of in the world already" is people thinking rules do not apply to them. They are free to make up their own rules. That some cruise lines do not enforce the rules vigorously should not be an excuse to flaunt the rules. These companies are trying to make cruising pleasant for everyone and they don't want to lose customers.

But if you go on a cruise line that asks for certain dress at night, in certain restaurants and certain special nights then you should conform or choose a cruise line that does not make those requests.

The "different ideas" people have should not be, how far can I push this envelope. There should be a space where we do things we may not love, but do it for the community at large.

The dress code a suggestion and not an edict. It's a vacation, not a job interview, wedding or funeral. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1