Westerdam Problem??? is this true

Kelownabccan

Yes - they are skipping Ketchikan and sailing to Victoria.  HAL is flying an expert in to repair it.

Reports on our “Daily” thread are that the crew is great, food delicious and Captain Smit has done a great job keeping everyone up to date.

I’m on the Westerdam. They tried to fix it yesterday and couldn’t so we’re averaging about 16 knots. Stopping in Victoria tonight for 1 hour to fulfill that stupid law and continuing on to Seattle for Sunday morning.

• Thanks 1

Ugh. I really feel for everyone on the ship. Missing ports, and dealing with this. 

But, I’m supposed to board on Sunday. And, this is was a trip planned last minute when Yellowstone flooded. Which was actually our 4th time trying to get there, with 3 previous trips canceled. I’m starting to feel like the universe is telling me to stay home. 

2 hours ago, rubytue said:

Ugh. I really feel for everyone on the ship. Missing ports, and dealing with this. 

But, I’m supposed to board on Sunday. And, this is was a trip planned last minute when Yellowstone flooded. Which was actually our 4th time trying to get there, with 3 previous trips canceled. I’m starting to feel like the universe is telling me to stay home. 

I’m assuming they have the equipment at their base in Seattle that they didn’t have in Sitka to fix the problem.

• Like 1

Oh no! I hope it gets to port safely.

We are on the July 24th sailing of the Westerdam. Will the ship have to go into dry dock to be repaired? Does anyone know if HAL would put us on another boat?  Starting to worry as I am taking my 85 yo mom....

1 hour ago, mauimacho said:

I’m assuming they have the equipment at their base in Seattle that they didn’t have in Sitka to fix the problem.

I am, too. It’s just one of those things that makes me think the gods are against me. 

4 hours ago, mauimacho said:

Seattle is their corporate headquarters. It's not a "repair base" for their ships. Any needed parts will come from whatever marine supply chain, wherever located. May have to be flown in.

There is a thread on another massive online forum, on the cruise sub. Someone there is saying it’s a hairline crack or failed seal. I have no idea what that means for anything. And, of course, just rumors. 

• Thanks 1

I think the waters near Hubbard Glacier are jinxed!

The NCL Sun hit a mini iceberg near Hubbard Glacier about 2 (?) weeks ago, and she then limped home.  There was some really nice video of the event.  Someone apparently was recording when it happened.

She just resumed sailing again, from Seattle.

GC

• Like 1

We boarded a HAL ship docked in San Diego before Covid after the seals on one of the Azipods had started to fail during the previous cruise (my understanding is that those leaks would allow sea water to mix with lubricants and if left unchecked could cause the azipod to fail). Engineering regularly tests for any contamination. Fortunately, they caught it early in San Diego. A specialized diving team was able to replace the seals in just about 24 hours, without a drydock, and just one extra day in port before our cruise started. Hopefully they caught the problem early in Alaska as well and can make a quick repair. Fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, catmink said:

RubyTue....where is the forum?

Thanks!

I didn’t mention it by name bc CC has trained me to always refer to things, but not mention them (big box TA). It was Reddit. I’m going to link it, maybe it will work? FWiW, Reddit cruise people are all the time recommending coming to cruise critic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cruise/comments/vzwozl/cancelled_stops_due_to_motor_failure_questions/

I'm not sure what the exact situation but Westerdam is now off Vancouver Island at 17 knots. I think at that speed she could (if repairs could not be made this weekend).  I suspect (but do not know) that Westie's missed and shortened port stays were made to facilitate a diagnosis and marshall what is needed to create a fix on Sunday.  The shortened call in Victoria could even be done to get the ship to Seattle extra early so divers can be in the water at the crack of dawn.  Do not know this but just a guess based on what I see.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify, The Nieuw Statendam's  April 8 sailing was scheduled for a 4:00 pm brochure sailing. But the need to replace a seal on one of the azipods, it was rescheduled for 3:00 am April 9. The original repair failed so the Nieuw Statendam finally sailed at 10:30 am April 9. The delay was less than one day but required not calling at St. Marten. My wife was on that cruise.

Pictures of the ruined seal were shown at the captain's talk. Due to the layup and inactivity during the pandemic, sea life grew on the seal that would normally not occur with usage. The seal is the only barrier to keep the ocean out of the azipod housing with the propulsion motor.

• Like 1

Do not pick this cruise line!!!! Out of 4 stops we made 2 beacuse of some

sort of engine damage. Still, while the engine damage did not prevent from stopping in Victoria, Canada, they chose not to allow the passangers to get off. The company policy makes no sense for the passangers. The cruise stayed 2 extra hours in Sitka, but the passengers were not allowed to stay off the boat. We are also arriving earlier than scheduled to Seattle, which is time the passangers could have used to get off in Victoria. But the mentality of the cruise line is to solve their issue at the expense of the customers experiencie. In the end we made 2 stops out of 4 and stayed the rest of the time at sea. In exchange we received a $100 credit for 2 missed stops. Really?? This is an embarassment.  Do not trust Holland America. 

By the way, the feeling among the great majority of the passengers is similar to what I have expressed.  For example, cruise director had to cancel a scheduled “meet the captain” activity after it had alteady begun when passengers started to ask sensible questions that the captain could not (or did not want to) answer regarding what they felt was misinformation and a complete disregard of their situation, creating an unwarranted angry passengers confrontation situation that could have been easily avoided.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

but Westerdam is now off Vancouver Island at 17 knots

17 knots is not exactly "poking along".  Azipods are beneficial to the maneuverability of a ship.  But, as mechanical objects, just like one's car, issues develop.  There is no reason for those who may be "stressing".  

• Like 1

In Sitka: if you were staying for 2 and a half hours extra at the port, why not let the passengers stay outside for more time?

In Victoria: Cruise is making a 1 hour port  call just to avoid possible Jones Act issues, but will return to Seattle two hours early. Why not return to Seattle as scheduled and allow the passengers to visit? It gives the impression that having the ship ready for the next sailing is more important than givin the passengers already on board a reasonable experience under the circunstances.

The “meet the captain” angry passengers situation: it is just

negligent to do this activity under the circunstances and expect the passengers not to ask questions about what is happening and the reasoning behind the decisions being taken. 

The “this is all for your safety” explanation: rings hollow. If it is unsafe to sail the ship, why expose the passengers to a three day at sea trip to Canada just to avoid a possible Jones Act  violation argument? (Which I am sure could have been defended under an extenuating circumstances justification)

The 100 dollar credit: seems little compensation for losing on two of four ports of call

The manner in which passengers have been treated: minimal information and a cruise director which sounds more like a cheerleader than a ship officer dealing with a difficult situation

• Like 1