Food - what’s good, don’t miss or should avoid

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Have you ever sailed on a Princess Royal Class ship?  If so, is the buffet large like that or is it smaller?  I’ve watched YouTube videos but it’s hard to really tell what it’s going to be like.

It varies by ship but most have 3-4 (at a time) cafeteria style stations then 3-4 island type stations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

It varies by ship but most have 3-4 (at a time) cafeteria style stations then 3-4 island type stations.

We are giving the Navigator a try.  I was on the Discovery Princess for the inaugural and the second sailing so that’s what is fresh in my mind.  I loved the Discovery but wanted to try something new.  

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We are giving the Navigator a try.  I was on the Discovery Princess for the inaugural and the second sailing so that’s what is fresh in my mind.  I loved the Discovery but wanted to try something new.  

Navigator has the standard windjammer layout that most ships have.  Just note that when you walk in, the station you see isn't where you have to start as there are multiple stations that have the same thing (and some that stand alone like dessert or the gluten free section). Take a walk around the whole thing to see what strikes your fancy before getting in a line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Navigator has the standard windjammer layout that most ships have.  Just note that when you walk in, the station you see isn't where you have to start as there are multiple stations that have the same thing (and some that stand alone like dessert or the gluten free section). Take a walk around the whole thing to see what strikes your fancy before getting in a line.

Thank you for sharing this with me.  

40 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you… I want to be mentally prepared.  

Another option is to just wait to grab something to eat until after the rooms open. I've done that on two cruises - the first was out of Copenhagen, where we decided to board around 1:30 so we could do some sightseeing first. Walked right on, our cabin was ready, and Windjammer wasn't crowded at all. In Boston, we boarded relatively late, and just hung around in the Centrum until our cabin was ready.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:48 AM, familycruzinnewbie said:

Trying to figure out which steak and beef is better as there is prime rib, New York strip, beef tenderloin, steak Diane,  beef stroganoff, beef short rib.  I think the tenderloin is day 2 and 6 and lobster just day 6.

are burgers in MDR better than windjammer. Hubby will miss his free Guys burgers from carnival. Not sure how often MDR will be open for brunch or lunch as app has mostly just breakfast and dinner.
I don’t see Duck or beef Wellington in the app. 
Just to make life fun, I broke my right hand and it will be in a cast. My left sucks(as I type with one left finger) so hope I don’t need knife skills.

Here is some visual for you if it helps.  All from Main Dining Room.  

Prime Rib

IMG_6286.thumb.jpeg.99e7d2e04717cd509f1d39c60745870a.jpeg

Steak Diane 

IMG_6963.thumb.jpg.08175915e56eb020cb1622ff19dcab5e.jpg

Beef Stroganoff

IMG_6474.thumb.jpeg.815c23204fb4a64dd3c32a094c1538fc.jpeg

Beef Tenderloin with Lobster (Day 6) Day 2 - Beef Tenderloin only (excellent dish)

IMG_7514.thumb.jpg.a36a74bedb185d36ac31163b5c35bb36.jpg

Braised Beef Short Ribs (very tender)

IMG_0545.thumb.JPG.22894842f4486ed87c5f0e1c3d5b179d.JPG

Duck a L'Orange (If it seems a little dry, ask for more sauce)

IMG_6323.thumb.jpeg.4954769fb2702bb57d08da5905acfe51.jpeg

Poblano Soup (excellent)

IMG_7165.thumb.jpeg.fe3e6350e410310f2b23be9ef9dcd04d.jpeg

• Like 7

On 7/15/2022 at 12:25 PM, familycruzinnewbie said:

We are taking our first Royal cruise on serenade next Sunday. I’ve heard service has declined a bit. Just looking for some recent food reviews or recommendations. I am the more adventurous one and will try new things, eat seafood, etc.  Hubby is a meat and potatoes guy - no fish or cheesy things. We do not have an ungraded dining plan and are hoping to mostly just eat what is included - unless there is a specific thing we should not miss. 

The beef Bourguinon on AOS was superb. Just avoid the charcuterie plate in the MDR. Then again, this was on AOS this past week.

charcuterie board.jpg

• Haha 1

I undetstand the scallops are quite nice😉

On the Kummelweck, dig the soft part of the bun out and stuff more beef in. Use horseradish and the mustard ragout

And scrape some of the caraway seeds off

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Do all ships have this?  

They used to. It was on hold during covid. But some ships are doing it again. Personally, I think it's hot or miss. Staff almost always over dresses it

47 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They used to. It was on hold during covid. But some ships are doing it again. Personally, I think it's hot or miss. Staff almost always over dresses it

I am an extra dressing kind of girl (as long as it’s dairy free) so it sounds perfect to me. Thank you.  

Was that non standard WOS fare included? I do love seafood,  lots of choices, unfortunately hubby doesn’t eat it so we can’t share. If anyone has pics to share go ahead - is the battered fish and seafood or fish and chips good or am I better with baked or pan fried. Hubby will probably try chicken, turkey, pork etc to break up the beef options. 

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Non-standard Windjammer food on the Wonder of the Seas

Cold lobster, clams, mussels, calamari, poke (raw fish)

image.png.17856a6602d9238d6200ec72c2e4dc15.png

Shrimps and more chilled lobster

image.png.5fba3d5c25ee1924a8ea9d86b05639e0.png

Surf and Turf (Filet and hot lobster tails)

image.png.56dcda93474bff4d813c54caddbf1295.png

Windjammer Fare

image.png.3087a525bae676665c58f6412c718521.png

image.png.f0dbc70938bec614e8bd6753d5065e69.png

image.png.6aa45d6255208ea8932b4feabb8c1e5e.png

image.png.b9646514855fb9d35c867b3fef0b0e07.png

image.png.931bc8ec73cd19ef79f4ffa6bc59832b.png

image.png.5d6018300bd081fa250eb00b1aba00cf.png

image.png.97a2a0c1a997c57f49de7901cf2114e3.png

When was the non-standard food offered and is it available on other ships?  This looks really good.

My family was obsessed with the rolls with the pumpkin seeds on them. No other roll compared.

There was also a thread recently in which the Windjammer mashed potatoes were discussed. I was trying to find it because I think I figured out their secret ingredient during my Oasis cruise I just got off of. I definitely tasted nutmeg, so instead of just melting milk/cream and butter like most people do, I think they made a whole-@ss bechamel sauce to whip into the potatoes!

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 4:13 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Have you ever sailed on a Princess Royal Class ship?  If so, is the buffet large like that or is it smaller?

sorry, but RCI's buffets cannot compare to the Royal class on Princess. You will get your standard buffet fare on RCI ships. Some less disappointing than others. We were truly and positively surprised by Harmony's buffet in Nov 2021, followed by a somewhat disappointing turn on the Allure in May 2022. We didn't go hungry for sure, but we weren't gushing about it.

Non-standard Wonder of the Seas buffet does not count.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

sorry, but RCI's buffets cannot compare to the Royal class on Princess. You will get your standard buffet fare on RCI ships. Some less disappointing than others. We were truly and positively surprised by Harmony's buffet in Nov 2021, followed by a somewhat disappointing turn on the Allure in May 2022. We didn't go hungry for sure, but we weren't gushing about it.

Non-standard Wonder of the Seas buffet does not count.

Thank you.  Oh well. I’m still looking forward to trying something different. I’m sure we won’t go hungry.  😊

On 7/15/2022 at 12:25 PM, familycruzinnewbie said:

We are taking our first Royal cruise on serenade next Sunday. I’ve heard service has declined a bit. Just looking for some recent food reviews or recommendations. I am the more adventurous one and will try new things, eat seafood, etc.  Hubby is a meat and potatoes guy - no fish or cheesy things. We do not have an ungraded dining plan and are hoping to mostly just eat what is included - unless there is a specific thing we should not miss. 

Royal's MDR dining is generally very good to excellent.  

However, the buffet can generate some awful stuff.   We tried the lasagna at the buffet once (terrible).  Also, some Greek Moussaka was equally terrible.  

The specialty restaurants are inexpensive and worth the cost.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Royal's MDR dining is generally very good to excellent.  

However, the buffet can generate some awful stuff.   We tried the lasagna at the buffet once (terrible).  Also, some Greek Moussaka was equally terrible.  

The specialty restaurants are inexpensive and worth the cost.  

We are looking forward to trying the Specialties restaurants on Oasis on 8/5 BUT calling them 'inexpensive' would not be verbiage I would use at all!  Maybe if I will the megaball big one coming up!

• Like 2

the non standard buffet pics look like the inaugural sailing..  we were on Wonder March 3 and it WAS spectacular..  do not expect that on your cruise.. but we also find now that buffets are open for dinner that nights the menu is iffy.. we go to the buffet and have them grill our protein, make a good salad and find some sides..  but remember your request results depend on your waiters experience.. we have had them say sorry that is the way the dish is prepared.. and at a different table with different staff, they did this: For those who like more than a bite of a vegetable..  I asked the waiter to bring me additional and every night he brought a large plate of a variety of all vegetables offered..   so our table was happy to add to their plate...   if you have any food issues and tell them the first night..  they will put in special orders for you for the remainder of the cruise..  my daughter in law was lactose intolerant and they made sure each night she had her order put in for the next one..

had we stayed at the first table we would not have had the positive experiences..

the best burgers for RC are the ones at COCOA CAY.. IF you are stopping there... 

45 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We have different versions of what "inexpensive" is then.

I am sure, we usually buy the three specialty restaurant special.  Compared to NCL and Celebrity it is less on Royal.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:32 AM, smokeybandit said:

We have different versions of what "inexpensive" is then.

Three courses for $30-40 is "inexpensive" for most sit-down restaurants that are not chains.

• Like 1