40 percent off - what a joke

EllieinNJ

10 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Got an email today for 40 percent off so checked several cruises I was looking at.  All have increased in price since yesterday.

LOL

However you aren't new to CC so you must be new to the NCL boards to think anything is a real sale any longer 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, js said:

LOL

However you aren't new to CC so you must be new to the NCL boards to think anything is a real sale any longer 🙂

Not really  unique to the NCL boards. I've seen the same discussion (sales that are not sales) on  multiple boards on CC including Holland, Princess, Celebrity, RCCI. RCCI's gambit is this:  50% off second passenger, then they list the fare.  Posters think the 2nd passenger sails for half the listed fare but the fine print states that the listed fare includes the 50% off for the second passenger.  The actual fare is twice the listed fare.  Example:  listed fare is $2000.  Implied 2nd passenger fare would be $1000 but it's not.  The implied cruise fare is $2000+$1000 or $3000.  The actual fare is twice the listed fare or $4000.

• Like 1

Just another reason to no longer book with NCL. Let Del Rio know his plan to gouge guests won't work on you.  Book elsewhere...... I don't know to many people in every day life that would give in to his approach monetarily.  I was using NCL for one cruise after another...... now it's never. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, prov2727 said:

I think they may have added a solo cruiser discount to some- or they always were and are just now advertising it. I'm going to call them after work and see if my cost has changed.

I feel like they’ve added quite a few sailaway rates also. 

• Like 1

@reeinaz

I feel like they’ve added quite a few sailaway rates also. 

I have been following the actual changes for Insides on a couple of cruises we are on in November/December and they introduced Sail Away prices about a month ago.   That caught me out!!!

However I suggest that anyone who wants to save money keeps an eye on the price quite regularly especially as final payment date approaches.  The ones I have been following have been jumping all over the place in the last week.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Just another reason to no longer book with NCL. Let Del Rio know his plan to gouge guests won't work on you.  Book elsewhere...... I don't know to many people in every day life that would give in to his approach monetarily.  I was using NCL for one cruise after another...... now it's never. 

If i would book elsewhere every time i am not satisfied with some promotion, service change or other stuff of a cruise line i would have a problem cause there would be no cruise line left.

So i book with the cruise line that suits my preferences best.(as long as the cruise fare is worth it for me)

• Like 13

In New Zealand the way NCL uses "before" and "after" prices would be illegal.  Here the "before" price has had to be the actual price offered for a period of time before the "after" price was available.

I have been following 19 day cruises on the Jade late this year.   In January and February one had an "after" price of NZD 14785.   That would have equated to NZD 21121 "before" using their 30% Off offer!!

NEVER HAPPENED!!

• Like 1

Supposed to be the same around here, but someone would have to take them to task for the violations and the deck is stacked against the average citizen, so they get away with doing just about whatever they want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsMidge said:

Supposed to be the same around here, but someone would have to take them to task for the violations and the deck is stacked against the average citizen, so they get away with doing just about whatever they want.

Boo Hoo.  So they raise their list prices and then offer a 40% off "special."  I honestly don't see what these VIOLATIONS are for which somebody needs to "take them to task."  What does that even mean?  How is this any different than auto manufacturers releasing the same product for a new model year at a higher MSRP but with increased rebates?

Just do what many of us do.  Book early, check often and reprice if/when prices drop.  It doesn't matter if it is part of some brand new "deal" or just the typical ebb and flow of their dynamic pricing system.  Do you folks really just recheck prices when they shove out some marketing campaign that claims a great new deal?  Yikes.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

I have a club suite spa balcony booked for September 2023. I will say the price went down from last promo but it is still higher than when I updated my booking in June. I booked over a year ago and rebooked several times as prices went down. I rebooked in June due to a CAS discount from my last cruise so now prices do not help me since I am just paying the upgrade fee (plus of course all the fees) so as prices for my room go up or down so does the room I qualify for through CAS..

A warning though.   If you booked before 18th Jan 2022 you will, almost certainly,  have to change any perks.   There was quite a change on that day, in dining, Wi-Fi and extra Latitude points so make sure you know what you will get with a re-fare.   If you have a good PCC ask him/her to look into it carefully and then tell you what changes to expect BEFORE you change.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, casofilia said:

If you booked before 18th Jan 2022 you will, almost certainly,  have to change any perks.   There was quite a change on that day, in dining, Wi-Fi and extra Latitude points so make sure you know what you will get with a re-fare. 

Good point.

3 minutes ago, casofilia said:

If you have a good PCC ask him/her to look into it carefully and then tell you what changes to expect BEFORE you change.

Or just look at your previous invoice and see what promos were applied.  

I'm sure that those are important to some folks.  I use about ten minutes of internet per cruise and am already platinum, so more internet and more points are of no value to me.  I'll take an extra free meal, but won't let that modest monetary value prevent me from cashing in a meaningful cruise reprice.

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

that's the way it works, they raise the price then give you 40% off making people believe they are saving money. I check prices every other day so i am not fooled. LOL 

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

we have just one and looking at others, but thinking about jumping ship to other cruise lines...

So you're tracking the pricing for exactly one reservation and using that as a basis to make broad generalizations about NCL's (allegedly) deceptive pricing practices?  I must have just hallucinated those three actual/documented price reductions I mentioned above.  Do I need to post the before/after invoices?

(disclaimer: I won't waste my time doing that.  It's fun even without winning over the jury...)

• Haha 1