Live- Summit 7/17 to Bermuda

tulok

Today, we caught the first ferry to St George. it was at 945a and was packed. The line was very long by 925a, but we got on. There are only 4 ferries so keep up with the time. We had a great visit. Did a little shopping in town. Followed a Bermudian advice and went to the church. The people here are extremely helpful and nice. I saw a bus with flashers and asked if it went to the fort. The driver said not but she can get us a lot closer. We didn’t realize her bus was going out of service and she was taking us to the bus barn that was a lot closer.

We went to St Catherine beach and toured the fort. The fort staff person called her friend to pick us up for $3.00 a person back to the ferry. Along the way, near St Catherine beach is a small cove with a beach and no people. It is very small. The driver told us all over the island are gypsy drivers (not real gypsy) that will drive cheaper and it is a way to subsidize their pay. Our driver was a sped teacher. She was so informative and nice. Took the 2pm ferry back, went on board and Oceanview was closed but got lunch at the pool grill.

Tomorrow we are going to Horseshoe Beach by taxi to make sure we get there and back.

FYI:

Buffet- staff is serving all stations.  We were able to change the complimentary “champagne” to a bottle of red. We keep forgetting to tell them we need an opener. Didn’t need to pack a nightlight or plug extension. 

My large water bottle has came in handy. Large clip magnets have been good to hang damp clothes. Beach bag has been used everyday. Didn’t need 2 light jackets. One would have been plenty. Good walking shoes including water shoes have been used. There is a laundry cord in the shower. 

A54CA4C0-91A2-4339-A19E-C4BDB652F890.png

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dynagirl said:

Could anyone tell me if they have any Karaoke sessions scheduled on this cruise? We will be sailing in November on a 5 day and hope they have at least a couple of sessions.  TIA

I have not seen it in any daily bulletins. Our favorite so far are the trivia games and silent disco. We can’t wait for the next silent disco. They told us there will be another one, maybe tomorrow.  I will add a picture of it.

3 hours ago, BratDet said:

I don’t see anything on the app, I’ll check the dailies when we get back to our suite.

we ferried to St. George- the Carnival ship left earlu afternoon. We were going to repeat a long walk we have done from center of St George but around by Alexandria Bay battery and the long walk to Tobacco Bay. It’s a nice long walk… but hubbies knee was bothering him so we hopped in a bus shuttle for 7$ each to Clearwater Beach. We could have walked into Coopers Island but just plopped dow, swam, and relaxed. On ship hungry, but had to eat pizza cause I didn’t like what they had out, even the desserts.

b at sea

E3DF7E83-88F8-42C2-85A6-7E6ED0C13E66.jpeg

05EF4756-1614-478E-A70E-36F910E3D01F.jpeg

36DF3532-4BC3-445D-BE78-C5376EDC0393.jpeg

Beautiful water! How was Clearwater? it doesn't look too crowded.  We've been to Horshoe and Tobacco Bay on past trips.  Were you able to rent chairs and umbrella? Do they have clean restrooms?  Thanks for any advice!

21 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Can't wait for your live from report. What cabin did you book?

Laura

Combination of SS on two cruises and a CS on one.  These cruises have been tough.  Took me 4 months to finally get SS but a number are now available.   When the CS popped up about 6 weeks ago I grabbed it an put it on hold until my agent could change my reservation.

1 hour ago, ekmmom said:

Beautiful water! How was Clearwater? it doesn't look too crowded.  We've been to Horshoe and Tobacco Bay on past trips.  Were you able to rent chairs and umbrella? Do they have clean restrooms?  Thanks for any advice!

Restroom very clean, you can rent chairs & umbrella. There’s a food truck w a bar area that has reopened. We had brought beach sheet to lay on. One area was quite rocky, but not the entire beach. I walked one end to the other. The water was super calm. You can walk from Clearwater to Cooper Nature Preserve- no amenities- but a few more beautiful beaches. Our dinner mates made it there.   & said it was beautiful.

Dinner was delicious at Luminae, we’re skipping magician show tonight. 

b at sea

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 39august said:

So crew masks are optional, but the food is still being served by crew? That makes no sense. Why bother if they are not masked? 

I prefer them serving as some of the guest couldn’t handle putting the servings spoons in all the different containers. I saw someone use the cheese tongs for the herring and put them back into the cheese. Thank goodness the staff saw and took the tongs and cheese away quickly. Just have a little patience waiting on the staff to serve you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Love this picture -  That band of clouds just pull you in.

Thank you, sometimes we forget to “look up” I love looking for unique cloud formations.

Then there’s flowers below to admire.

btw. When going to ferry there used to be two different lines at two different dock areas. There used to be signage. No more. It was one line and when the Hamilton ferry passengers had to board- us St George bound let them pass…

we always love being on the top deck for the breezes and views. 

b at sea

ps Nothing better than coming back to the cabin & the bed is all in perfect order.

, that’s why I shared that pic. love being so spoiled. Booking our next cruise tomorrow after sailaway.

Also, I checked all the dailies. No karaoke - maybe it was stopped for COVID and not restarted yet.

Regarding St George Ferry- it lists dates of operation. I’ve uploaded my crumpled schedule.It does not go to St George tomorrow- so our only ferry choice is Hamilton.

Our cab driver back to the ferry from Clearwater warned us against gypsy drivers as they can be uninsured. Fare was under 19$ for the 4 of us. Good AC too!

12697C97-A5FD-4622-AB34-F5E4E1AB4B33.jpeg

D314694C-C9C7-4CD6-B48E-1200EF885DC8.jpeg

1B0F5661-1149-4BA1-BD50-CC9297CECE86.jpeg

472553EB-AAD2-49FA-8368-331CDD82C07F.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dynagirl said:

Could anyone tell me if they have any Karaoke sessions scheduled on this cruise? We will be sailing in November on a 5 day and hope they have at least a couple of sessions.  TIA

There was karaoke the first night at 11pm.  It is easy to miss as they call it “Headline the Band.”  It is done with the live band playing with you rather than a machine so song selection is more limited. 

8 hours ago, tulok said:

I prefer them serving as some of the guest couldn’t handle putting the servings spoons in all the different containers. I saw someone use the cheese tongs for the herring and put them back into the cheese. Thank goodness the staff saw and took the tongs and cheese away quickly. Just have a little patience waiting on the staff to serve you.

My husband saw a guy using the self service pizza tongs and put them on the pizza plate instead of the dish it had been placed on. Each day we return we’ve gone to buffet and end up eating pizza as the food was less than appetizing. I tried chicken aka king over rice and ate little of it.

the second silent disco on deck 11 for suite guests was last night, I don’t remember separate discos for suite guests on our last Summit cruise before the pandemic

.I used to alway run down to cafe for our morning tea and coffee, but to get it earlier cause we are up so early- the butler has been bringing it.,

here’s a pic from our cabin when the coffee & tea arrived. I swear the lights twinkled, I know I’m delusional. Haha

b at sea

0965E316-4543-440F-A129-18302FDE43BE.jpeg

79FA9F52-9274-4CBE-AE68-CED4F0015030.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 39august said:

So crew masks are optional, but the food is still being served by crew? That makes no sense. Why bother if they are not masked? 

Wonder if it has more to do, with passengers preferring being served, less food waste and cleaner stations, than with germs.  ???

10 hours ago, buckeye343 said:

There was karaoke the first night at 11pm.  It is easy to miss as they call it “Headline the Band.”  It is done with the live band playing with you rather than a machine so song selection is more limited. 

Do they still have the lyrics available or will I have to have them memorized.  Thanks for the info.

23 hours ago, BratDet said:

I don’t see anything on the app, I’ll check the dailies when we get back to our suite.

we ferried to St. George- the Carnival ship left earlu afternoon. We were going to repeat a long walk we have done from center of St George but around by Alexandria Bay battery and the long walk to Tobacco Bay. It’s a nice long walk… but hubbies knee was bothering him so we hopped in a bus shuttle for 7$ each to Clearwater Beach. We could have walked into Coopers Island but just plopped dow, swam, and relaxed. On ship hungry, but had to eat pizza cause I didn’t like what they had out, even the desserts.

b at sea

E3DF7E83-88F8-42C2-85A6-7E6ED0C13E66.jpeg

05EF4756-1614-478E-A70E-36F910E3D01F.jpeg

36DF3532-4BC3-445D-BE78-C5376EDC0393.jpeg

Could you please verify which beach this is and how far from the port.  It looks quieter then Horseshoe and we’re there plenty of chairs and umbrellas to rent.  I am thanking you in advance for your answer and we are boarding the ship on Sunday.  Thank you for posting on the boards during your cruise. 

34 minutes ago, barbon2 said:

Could you please verify which beach this is and how far from the port.  It looks quieter then Horseshoe and we’re there plenty of chairs and umbrellas to rent.  I am thanking you in advance for your answer and we are boarding the ship on Sunday.  Thank you for posting on the boards during your cruise. 

It’s on the other side of the island. You take ferry to st George- you can use Bermuda bus but for 14$ it was a quicker ac’ed ride. You get free maps from visitor center and ferry tokens, bus fare or all day transportation passes. Today we went into Hamilton & helped their economy recover & our wallet lighten. We used ferry tokens 4.50 each way.

Mon the way back to the dockyard we were on the very old Bermudian ferry- swear it took longer than going dockyard to St George would take. Norwegian Joy just left- we are on our balcony waiting for sailaway…

b at Sea

3FA5CA3F-0566-4BD4-BD2C-8C819FB96279.jpeg

B90F1849-D514-4B7C-87FD-482B9E0BD801.jpeg

6576BD1E-4D85-4F54-953F-567F51C92DB2.jpeg

A93D638A-2F5E-447F-B379-7E98DCA5781B.jpeg

Edited by BratDet
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BratDet said:

It’s on the other side of the island. You take ferry to st George- you can use Bermuda bus but for 14$ it was a quicker ac’ed ride. You get free maps from visitor center and ferry tokens, bus fare or all day transportation passes. Today we went into Hamilton & helped their economy recover & our wallet lighten. We used ferry tokens 4.50 each way.

Mon the way back to the dockyard we were on the very old Bermudian ferry- swear it took longer than going dockyard to St George would take. Norwegian Joy just left- we are on our balcony waiting for sailaway…

b at Sea

3FA5CA3F-0566-4BD4-BD2C-8C819FB96279.jpeg

B90F1849-D514-4B7C-87FD-482B9E0BD801.jpeg

6576BD1E-4D85-4F54-953F-567F51C92DB2.jpeg

A93D638A-2F5E-447F-B379-7E98DCA5781B.jpeg

We probably will take a taxi.  Do you know if they have plenty of chairs and umbrellas for rent?

7 hours ago, Dynagirl said:

Do they still have the lyrics available or will I have to have them memorized.  Thanks for the info.

They do have the lyrics but they are just typed out in a document rather than how normally in  karaoke where it sort of tells you when to sing. The band’s singer is right there though to jump in and help you along if needed.

9 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Are you staying on for the next one????  Or, are you not feeling well?

I wish… we are both PCR positive. Mind you I worked thru  the pandemic, have traveled all over, flown a few times, Disney twice, and we are VERY mindful of hygiene on board…pack your home tests! We are missing chic night dinner. Good thing we have books to read…