CDC ends all restrictions as of July 18th (TODAY!!)

4 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

The way that is worded easily provides cover for a policy like, “we recommend testing for those up-to-date with vaccinations and require test results for the unvaccinated or those who are not up-to-date with vaccinations.”

But, we shall see. 

I like that!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center?icid=hlthys_wrnssn_hlt_nbrdxp_pghdr_3467

On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry. We are waiting for these revised recommendations, which we expect in the coming days. Upon review, we will adjust our current protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

The way that is worded easily provides cover for a policy like, “we recommend testing for those up-to-date with vaccinations and require test results for the unvaccinated or those who are not up-to-date with vaccinations.”

But, we shall see. 

IMO this CDC document clearly puts the ball in the cruise line's court.  Key words such as: "assist", "should" or "recommends" instead of "will" or "shall" is huge.  Words are carefully chosen when a regulatory agency is writing a federal order.  IMO the phrase below sums it up. 

This document is intended to assist cruise ship operators in establishing health and safety protections to reduce the risk of introduction and spread COVID-19 during passenger operations and preserve onboard medical capacity. 

The question is how much risk do the cruise lines want to take on.  There will be a media feeding frenzy if there's a big covid outbreak on a cruise line that chose to ignore the CDC recommendations.   

33 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

BREAKING!!: Azamara just dropped testing effective July 25

which cruise line is next

https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

That was announced yesterday. Way before the CDC even released their guidelines. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anton said:

Seems the CDC quietly issued the new guidance in the past couple hours. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid-19-cruise-ship-guidance.html

The CDC has always been involved in setting guidelines and standards for the cruising industry. Covid wasn't the first and won't be the last time that the CDC and federal government get involved in the travel and tourism industry.

This thread is full of folks prematurely celebrating something they haven't read and don't really understand.

5 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I can't find a link to monitoring to using these for precruise.  The only one I found was sold out. 

These are the kits you would use on day 5 or 6 of a 7 night cruise. If you are positive then you would go to medical on the ship and get a free quarantine and food from Royal Caribbean once off the ship until you are able to fly home

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I'm boosted. And yes I have to test 2 days before for rcl. Carnival now gives fully vaccinated 3 days to test, a etra day. 3 days before if you meet the guidelines for fully vaccinated.  

Someone said there is some sort of overall policy ends sept 30, so if they are right I'm stuck testing for sept. I'm still hoping they are wrong  .. more people would cruise., I'm sick of the stress and expense to pre test. Does nothing. People still come home positive. It's just not discussed much on cc. We cant discuss covid. Ok by me. Not interested anyway. 

I just want to stop pre testing. 

It is the cancellation policy providing COVID assistance for shoreside quarantine and transportation that ends Sept. 30.

Cruise with Confidence which allows you to cancel up to 48 hours has already ended unless you booked in March for cruises that sail by Sept. 30.

11 hours ago, Anton said:

Seems the CDC quietly issued the new guidance in the past couple hours. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid-19-cruise-ship-guidance.html

It looks like pretty much the same policies as before but instead of "must" they replaced all text with "should consider".

I'm curious how RC will handle this one.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, hazeleyes46 said:

Right now I am just interested in the testing to stop since I already had to get the vaccine to cruise 🙂

I would rather no one be able to get Covid19 while cruising, So until that happens, keep the testing going.  I was vaccinated and booster twice but still got Covid, along with my wife, on our recent Alaskan cruise (June 13 - 20).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mndity said:

I would rather no one be able to get Covid19 while cruising, So until that happens, keep the testing going.  I was vaccinated and booster twice but still got Covid, along with my wife, on our recent Alaskan cruise (June 13 - 20).

That will never happen, just like it will never happen on land. It is a virus and should be treated like every other virus. I was unvaccinated until a month ago and never (as far as I know and was tested for work for months) got covid. I went back to almost normal life last year too. If you are worried about getting any type of virus, I would say don't go to public places where there are a lot of people. Otherwise, the rest of us are not worried and want to start getting back to almost 100% normality. Cruises are the only place that most of us need to test and vaccine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hazeleyes46 said:

That will never happen, just like it will never happen on land. It is a virus and should be treated like every other virus. I was unvaccinated until a month ago and never (as far as I know and was tested for work for months) got covid. I went back to almost normal life last year too. If you are worried about getting any type of virus, I would say don't go to public places where there are a lot of people. Otherwise, the rest of us are not worried and want to start getting back to almost 100% normality. Cruises are the only place that most of us need to test and vaccine. 

It's too bad that everyone who can get the vaccine get the vaccine.  The world has dealt with other viruses that have been basically been eliminated by vaccines.  

I went on a cruise after having to reschedule twice due to Covid.  I had a great time until after getting home. I might have been better off masking more, but it was my decision.  I don't avoid public places or being in the public. I am doing everything I was doing pre-covid, but I do take a few more precautions. Would I cruise again? Absolutely, probably masking more though. Cruises are one, not only, place where most of us should test & be vaccinated.

I would like to know who you consider "the rest of us"?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

every other virus.

Since my post got deleted, I'll revise my statement.

Covid has been shown to not be like every other virus. It's more transmissible and more challenging given the long-covid symptoms we've been seeing and people have had to live with (beyond just a prolonged loss of smell). I think that while it's normal for us to want to get back to cruising as normal, we would do better to recognize that we aren't the only ones that we are placing at risk when getting onboard a ship. The crew is the most obvious, as they have lives and families to get back to and live in much, much more cramped spaces than the passengers do.

Look at the amount of folks on this and other threads who say their cruise was great until they got home with covid. How many people did they encounter on the way from the ship to home? Did they fly while contagious?

My point is that Covid isn't like every other virus. If we want our vacation experiences to feel "normal," we could be doing better to make sure everyone's vacation experience getting onboard with us can also be normal. Now is not the time for individualism.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mndity said:

It's too bad that everyone who can get the vaccine get the vaccine.  The world has dealt with other viruses that have been basically been eliminated by vaccines.  

I went on a cruise after having to reschedule twice due to Covid.  I had a great time until after getting home. I might have been better off masking more, but it was my decision.  I don't avoid public places or being in the public. I am doing everything I was doing pre-covid, but I do take a few more precautions. Would I cruise again? Absolutely, probably masking more though. Cruises are one, not only, place where most of us should test & be vaccinated.

I would like to know who you consider "the rest of us"?

Anyone who has moved on and live as normal as they possibly can. Not avoiding any places or situations and not masking at all. 

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, when you're over a cold or flu, you're over it.  

In contrast, a significant number of people experience "Long Covid".  I had Covid last February, and I got past the virus in a couple days -- but I experienced a variety of symptoms for roughly two months.  Exhaustion was a constant, but the headache, cough, and body aches came and went unpredictably.  For two months.  They were enough to impact my day-to-day life; I went to the doctor about it, and he assured me that this was all normal after having Covid. 

This isn't an unusual story:  My sister-in-law, who is a little younger than me and has no co-morbidities, is still having problems more than a year after getting over Covid.  I know several teachers at school who have had similar situations, though none as lengthy as my sister-in-law's.  

From the CDC website:  

New data from the Household Pulse Survey show that more than 40% of adults in the United States reported having COVID-19 in the past, and nearly one in five of those (19%) are currently still having symptoms of “long COVID.”

I have a friend who has long covid.  Whenever I see her updates, I am so sad for her. It sounds absolutely dreadful.