Clothing help for evening chic

danogg

We are researching cruises and are considering the Celebrity Equinox.  What exactly is “evening chic”?  My husband hates dressing up and I have nothing in my closet that is formal.  We also need to pack strategically since we are heading straight to Mexico after the cruise for the remainder of the winter.  Would a pair of linen pants and a golf shirt cut it for him?  Can I get by with capri pants and a nice shirt or a summer dress?  What about footwear….I’ve read that sandals are taboo?  Are women allowed open toe sandals?  Trying to keep our packing light and practical as we’re actually packing for the entire winter in Mexico.

• Like 1

Evening chic for women means a nice pair of pants or a skirt with a dressy type top or nice dress. For men it a pair of slacks with a dress shirt and jacket.  A golf shirt is not evening chic. The majority of women wear sandals. Not sure where you have seen sandals are taboo. 

Your husband could wear slacks and a dress shirt without the jacket. You could wear capris or pants with a nice top or a dress.  People wear whatever makes them comfortable. 

• Like 2

Check with your individual cruise line. Most will list the "basic" requirements for any given dress code.  (For example, most lines exclude shorts, ripped or frayed jeans, tee-shirts, that kind of thing).  

As long as you adhere to the minimum allowed code you'll be fine, although many go at least a bit beyond that, in terms of what you'll see.

Dressy sandals are fine for women. Just not pool-type flip-flops.

• Like 2

Linen pants & a button down linen shirt (like a Mexican gallabra shirt) is very acceptable. Sandals are fine for women (not just beach flip flops). 

We sail Celebrity often, on Chic nights my husband prefers to wear a jacket over an open collar shirt & dress pants. At a minimum he wears a long-sleeved button down shirt & dress slacks. Other nights he wears a gallabra or Aloha shirt & khaki pants with Sketcher slip ons or Sherry boat shoes. I’ll wear a maxi dress or slacks & sparkly tops with sparkly sandals 

• 3 weeks later...

Cotton or linen Capris  for women are in my opinion to casual, however, shorter above ankle pants that are made of a dressier fabric would be fine. Flip flops that have decorative embellished straps are o.k. as well. You can wear them later in Mexico. 
I bring walking shoes, sketchers for onboard, black embellished fabric TOMs style shoes for evening. Or embellished flip flops. 

My husband wears comfortable walking shoes off board, brings a pair of black Sketchers to wear on board, works for all events. Plus a pair of flip flops or sandals for beach or poolside. 

Seems to me as long as a guy has on a collared shirt he is going to fit in. Strangely husband’s want to fit in and can become fashion conscious. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already thinking about next summer's cruise where I'll be traveling with my 2 sons, 21 and 24. I was with the younger one on a Celebrity ship last summer. I need to tell them what to wear/pack, but they will feel self-conscious if they are wearing the wrong thing. Anyway, I noticed last summer on Celebrity most men had long sleeve collared shirts on the more dressy nights. It was incredibly hot in Greece and I didn't feel my son looked out of place in a collared short sleeve shirt. I think for next summer in the Baltic I need to tell them to each pack 1 long sleeve dress shirt and 1 or 2 nice collared short sleeve shirts, and pack some nicer long pants (i.e. not just jeans and athletic wear). And then some stain remover pens! One of them spilled food on himself on the first nice dinner on this summer's trip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, irvington said:

I'm already thinking about next summer's cruise where I'll be traveling with my 2 sons, 21 and 24. I was with the younger one on a Celebrity ship last summer. I need to tell them what to wear/pack, but they will feel self-conscious if they are wearing the wrong thing. Anyway, I noticed last summer on Celebrity most men had long sleeve collared shirts on the more dressy nights. It was incredibly hot in Greece and I didn't feel my son looked out of place in a collared short sleeve shirt. I think for next summer in the Baltic I need to tell them to each pack 1 long sleeve dress shirt and 1 or 2 nice collared short sleeve shirts, and pack some nicer long pants (i.e. not just jeans and athletic wear). And then some stain remover pens! One of them spilled food on himself on the first nice dinner on this summer's trip.

Khaki or docker style pants work great for all dining on Celebrity. Long sleeved shirt (no tie needed) or polo shirt or casual collared shirt. Maybe a black Aloha style shirt (with subdued pattern) would make them happy. Black shirt & khaki pants always looks stylish

• Like 1