Gluten free food for Celiacs

mtnlvr53

We have always enjoyed Celebrity Cruises food, but I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease so my food "preferences" have necessarily changed. I can't find anything on Celebrity about how they deal with food sensitivity issues. I am hoping that people who have to eat gluten free can give me information on their attitudes. 

We are looking at a Princess vs a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise and although we would prefer Celebrity multiple people have indicated that Princess does a very good job of keeping you well,

Thanks so much for any insights.

Janet

14 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

We have always enjoyed Celebrity Cruises food, but I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease so my food "preferences" have necessarily changed. I can't find anything on Celebrity about how they deal with food sensitivity issues. I am hoping that people who have to eat gluten free can give me information on their attitudes. 

We are looking at a Princess vs a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise and although we would prefer Celebrity multiple people have indicated that Princess does a very good job of keeping you well,

Thanks so much for any insights.

Janet

You simply need to let Celebrity know your needs.  They can arrange everything.  Not a problem. Gluten free is not an unusual request.  Book your cruise and then email specials needs so staff is alerted before you cruise.

• Like 1

I have had to eat gluten free for 8 years now.  There is a special needs form you can email Celebrity 30 days out.  I do it but I do not think it helps.  When I go in to Luminae for first time I let them know I am gf.  I try to stick with same waiter.  In the specialty restaurants they ask you if you have any dietary constraints.  MDR menu indicated dietary restrictions on each item.  Most of the time you can look at next days menu to see if what you want can be modified.  Cafe Al Bacio will have gf muffins.  I was very disappointed at the cakes in Buffet.  Years past they were excellent but in April they were all terrible.  The buffet does have very good gf pasta, sauce and meatballs.  A manager will also walk around the buffet with you your first time there.  

i bring my own crackers and bagels as they have neither gf and I like a bagel in the morning.  

Hope this helps,

Bonnie

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

I have had to eat gluten free for 8 years now.  There is a special needs form you can email Celebrity 30 days out.  I do it but I do not think it helps.  When I go in to Luminae for first time I let them know I am gf.  I try to stick with same waiter.  In the specialty restaurants they ask you if you have any dietary constraints.  MDR menu indicated dietary restrictions on each item.  Most of the time you can look at next days menu to see if what you want can be modified.  Cafe Al Bacio will have gf muffins.  I was very disappointed at the cakes in Buffet.  Years past they were excellent but in April they were all terrible.  The buffet does have very good gf pasta, sauce and meatballs.  A manager will also walk around the buffet with you your first time there.  

i bring my own crackers and bagels as they have neither gf and I like a bagel in the morning.  

Hope this helps,

Bonnie

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we likely won't be in a suite so no Luminae. Funny you mentioned the cakes: we were on an Alaskan cruise that had the most amazing looking cakes. They were all awful (this was pre-celiac) we laughed over how a cake could be so beautiful and taste so bad. Sooooo maybe you had the same pastry chef.

Our daughter also has Celiac and we dined at the MDR. Thewaitstaff showed her the menu for the next day and helped identwhst she wished and how it should be prepared. 

she also got guidance at Oceanview. She was delighted with the assistance. 

den

I was diagnosed almost 20 yrs ago.  Here are my Celebrity GF hacks.

I fill out the form precruise and tell my waiter.  Maitre d' always has put me with same waiter for entire cruise.  Safer that way.  I used to only book traditional dining because of that but select can handle it well if you come at about the same time each night. Room service has GF bread for toast.  Just print "2 slices of gluten free toast" onto the breakfast door hanger.  For lunch, you can call and request any of the room service sandwiches but ask for it "without bread" and then request 2 slices of gluten free toast "not raisin" and build it yourself.  Trust me on this because they'll normally get it correct this way.  If you want, order two sandwiches without bread for more meat inside.  Or order the same 2 no-bread sandwiches and top a salad with the fixins.  Also try cheeseburger, no bun, all the way, and 2 slices of GF toast, not raisin toast.  Sadly, fries are not GF.  Get potato chips from Oceanview sandwich station when they have them.  You can make a tasty taco salad in the Oceanview with chili, cheese, and tortilla chips.  The tortilla chips are one of the few daily GF crunchy things aboard.  Also pick up a chicken breast from Oceanview grill to add to any salad.  MDR ordering is easy.  Everything is clearly marked and you may pre-order the night before.  MDR lunch has never worked very well for me.  Without the same waiter, you get glutened all too easily.  BTW, over the years, all entrees in MDR that they've attempted to remake with GF breadcrumbs were inedible. I don't even try now.  Most everything in Spa Cafe is GF, tasty, and their GF muffins are much, much better than Cafe al Bacio's.  Years ago there were GF cookies in Oceanview that changed daily but lately it's coconut macaroons and I often have to specially request them.  Spa Cafe does have GF cookies (apple cinnamon was one of them) but they're extremely dry because they use only rice flour for everything, including a truly dreadful GF pizza crust in Oceanview.  Like already mentioned, bring crackers.  There aren't ANY.  I take nuts and dried fruits, too, and replenish at markets in ports.  As an alternative to GF toast, will be bringing along some Schar ciabatta rolls for sandwiches next cruise, assuming my luggage makes it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I was diagnosed almost 20 yrs ago.  Here are my Celebrity GF hacks.

I fill out the form precruise and tell my waiter.  Maitre d' always has put me with same waiter for entire cruise.  Safer that way.  I used to only book traditional dining because of that but select can handle it well if you come at about the same time each night. Room service has GF bread for toast.  Just print "2 slices of gluten free toast" onto the breakfast door hanger.  For lunch, you can call and request any of the room service sandwiches but ask for it "without bread" and then request 2 slices of gluten free toast "not raisin" and build it yourself.  Trust me on this because they'll normally get it correct this way.  If you want, order two sandwiches without bread for more meat inside.  Or order the same 2 no-bread sandwiches and top a salad with the fixins.  Also try cheeseburger, no bun, all the way, and 2 slices of GF toast, not raisin toast.  Sadly, fries are not GF.  Get potato chips from Oceanview sandwich station when they have them.  You can make a tasty taco salad in the Oceanview with chili, cheese, and tortilla chips.  The tortilla chips are one of the few daily GF crunchy things aboard.  Also pick up a chicken breast from Oceanview grill to add to any salad.  MDR ordering is easy.  Everything is clearly marked and you may pre-order the night before.  MDR lunch has never worked very well for me.  Without the same waiter, you get glutened all too easily.  BTW, over the years, all entrees in MDR that they've attempted to remake with GF breadcrumbs were inedible. I don't even try now.  Most everything in Spa Cafe is GF, tasty, and their GF muffins are much, much better than Cafe al Bacio's.  Years ago there were GF cookies in Oceanview that changed daily but lately it's coconut macaroons and I often have to specially request them.  Spa Cafe does have GF cookies (apple cinnamon was one of them) but they're extremely dry because they use only rice flour for everything, including a truly dreadful GF pizza crust in Oceanview.  Like already mentioned, bring crackers.  There aren't ANY.  I take nuts and dried fruits, too, and replenish at markets in ports.  As an alternative to GF toast, will be bringing along some Schar ciabatta rolls for sandwiches next cruise, assuming my luggage makes it.

Thanks...11 years for me and I was unaware of some of this!

1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

Does anyone have a copy of a GF menu? Thanks in advance for any information.

My daughter has celiac  and has cruised with Royal and Celebrity.  Never had a issue. The dining staff in the MDR would read her the list of gluten free items for the next evening and she would prechoose what she wanted. The buffet has numerous choices also. You can ask for assistance from the crew if needed. They are always willing to help.

2 hours ago, cruise47 said:

I don’t think that there is a specific “GF menu “.  I always pre order my next evening meal in the MDR.  Your waiter will make notes if any item needs to be tweaked for you, & will mention if a menu item can’t be made GF, I found the waiters to be very knowledgeable for GF dining.

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

There is no separate menu.  Here is a bunch of menus for MDR.  You can look in your planner to see what meals are what day and check with these menus.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/download-press-kit-item/44/

• Like 1

I’m not gluten free, but I do notice notations on the menus.  A few years ago, and I can’t remember what line I was on but probably Carnival or Celebrity…I noticed a breaded item on the menu that was listed as gluten free.  I asked the waitress about it, and she said that several years back they had decided everything breaded would be done with gluten free breadcrumbs.  I found it quite interesting.  EM

I also have Celiac. We sailed on the Equinox last August. I found Celebrity to be fairly accommodating. While my gluten free allergy was noted on our booking, I’m not sure that really meant much. Shortly after boarding, I visited the main dining room and spoke with the person in charge. That. I think, was the best thing you can do. We were seated with the same two waiters every evening. At the conclusion of dinner, our waiter provided me with the next evening’s menu. I simply made my choices at that time and everything was prepared gluten free. You are also not limited to the options that state that they are gluten free. Your waiter will work with you. For instance, they prepared the rack of lamb for me without the usual crust, which contains gluten. Don’t be afraid to ask. They really do want to please.

The bread was just Canyon Gluten Free brand, so was nothing special. It was available at all of the restaurants.

One highlight was the daily availability of a gluten free cake at Cafe en Baccio. The cakes were some of the best I have tasted. They were one of the highlights for me. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

On the Equinox, I did notice a separate gluten-free area at breakfast at the buffet. One thing that really caught my attention was a waffle maker with a big sign on it that it was to be used for gluten free only.  You could also get gluten-free pizza at the buffet. I am not GF but my sister is and those are a few things I noticed when I was with her in the Buffet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

On the Equinox, I did notice a separate gluten-free area at breakfast at the buffet. One thing that really caught my attention was a waffle maker with a big sign on it that it was to be used for gluten free only.  You could also get gluten-free pizza at the buffet. I am not GF but my sister is and those are a few things I noticed when I was with her in the Buffet.

Until I was Celiac I never realized why the separate toasters/waffle makers were so important. Just the crumbs from a wheat item can cause a reaction in some/maybe all people. 

I have my own toaster, etc since my husband still eats gluten based products.

Janet

While not celiac, my husband has a wheat allergy so his diet is gluten free.   In addition to all the comments above, I would suggest (as another poster did) that she brings some GF crackers (if she wants cheese and crackers or something besides toast at meals).  The GF bread options are not great (limited to raisin or non raisin Canyon Ranch) and while our non GF breadbasket was wonderful, my husband was given two slices of GF toast (often with raisins) at dinner, which, after the 2nd day told our waiter no thank you.  

The buffet has options for GF breakfasts, pizza and pasta.   Burger buns nope (in our experience).  

And as others mentioned, best to ensure you are seated with the same waiter each night as they are sure to walk you through the next day's menu and your options.  

Cafe Al Bacio has some good GF muffins and a limited variety of GF desserts as others have posted as well.   

Celebrity, while accommodating, can do a better job with greater GF options for sure.    

Good luck 

• Like 3

My last Celebrity cruise, I was offered GF muffins in the am @ the MDR.  They were soooo yummy, I had them every day…I couldn’t say what flavour they were (the same every day & not a BIG muffin, but bigger than a 2 bite sized)…maybe a vanilla cinnamon muffin?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:22 AM, mtnlvr53 said:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we likely won't be in a suite so no Luminae. Funny you mentioned the cakes: we were on an Alaskan cruise that had the most amazing looking cakes. They were all awful (this was pre-celiac) we laughed over how a cake could be so beautiful and taste so bad. Sooooo maybe you had the same pastry chef.

In my experience,  it's not just Celebrity!  In my experience, it's the ubiquitous buffet experience except for the chocolate cake I ate on my last Carnival cruise.  

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, lovrccl said:

My daughter has celiac  and has cruised with Royal and Celebrity.  Never had a issue. The dining staff in the MDR would read her the list of gluten free items for the next evening and she would prechoose what she wanted. The buffet has numerous choices also. You can ask for assistance from the crew if needed. They are always willing to help.

Celiac here, sailing X first time in March  😬.

When one pre-orders the night before, does the food come out hot? i’m a bit worried that they prepare it much beforehand and let it sit for a long time?  If i plan to order something already gf anyway, like a steak and mashed potatoes, should I still pre-order? 
Thanks in advance. 

49 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

When one pre-orders the night before, does the food come out hot? i’m a bit worried that they prepare it much beforehand and let it sit for a long time?  If i plan to order something already gf anyway, like a steak and mashed potatoes, should I still pre-order? 
Thanks in advance. 

I sailed on the Edge in Feb 2020 and am gluten-free. I did NOT order ahead the night before and never had an issue. I was even able to get French Onion Soup without the bread in it.

I had never heard of them moving servers from MDR to MDR on an E-class ship until someone mentioned it here. I understood that servers were assigned to a specific MDR only. 

(When I have done order ahead because I was in the same MDR (RCCL) or with the same servers (Disney) my food has never been cold.)

I will say at breakfast, unless you want something like gf pancakes and an omelette, have the server check about the gf pancakes (should NOT be an issue unless a lot has changed) first. When I was on the Edge, I went to seated breakfast once and said (after asking and my server saying they would check) "If they can do the pancakes, then the pancakes. If they can't, then an omelette." I got both.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

I am gluten-intolerant and have had many Celebrity cruises under my belt.  First of all, let the maitre'd know that you are celiac.  I am usually in Luminae or Blu and always had the same waiter for the entire cruise.  I could order most items off the menu because I was told by the wait staff that Celebrity had eliminated all wheat flour as thickeners from their gravy and soups.  Obviously, make it known each time that you needed the item that you are ordering to be gluten-free.  My servers had always brought me gluten-free muffins and toast at breakfast and gluten-free toast with lunch and dinner without asking.  Depending on the cruise, Cafe Al Bacio has one or two varieties of gluten-free cakes in addition to gluten-free muffins and cookies.  If they don't have it, request that they bake/make them available for the rest of the cruise.  

Enjoy your cruise and be well.

21 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Yes her food was hot. Never a issue to preorder.