Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

Since I almost always sail in the Caribbean I go for Red Stripe, to support the locals. Also will always try some local beers when on shore and try things I can't get a home and again to help the locals. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JamesEM said:

RCL has discontinued the 16 oz Miller Lite in aluminium cans which was my favorite. 

On my next cruise, I'm going to see of they have Shock Top.  Hope so!

DIDN'T MEAN TO QUOTE @JamesEM.  Sorry!

Edited by Ret MP

35 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

On my next cruise, I'm going to see of they have Shock Top.  Hope so!

DIDN'T MEAN TO QUOTE @JamesEM.  Sorry!

Never seen Shock Top on Board. Blue moon is better, albeit both are big breweries.  I go for whatever craft beer is on board.

As for Fosters,  even Aussies don't drink that crap.  Only uninformed yanks.

47 minutes ago, jcc1025 said:

Since I almost always sail in the Caribbean I go for Red Stripe, to support the locals. Also will always try some local beers when on shore and try things I can't get a home and again to help the locals. 

Only the bottles are brewed in Jamaica. Cans and draughts are from a licensee in the Netherlands.

1 hour ago, oceanblue33 said:

John I second that that's an awesome beer.  I tried that on our cruise s few months ago.  That's my go new go to beer after a few of them it's Makers Mark👌

And as I recall that's the Newcastle still brewed in England.  Most in the US are either still imported by Heineken or brewed in CA by Lagunitas (which does still make decent craft brews despite Heineken ownership) but they use a different formula.

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And as I recall that's the Newcastle still brewed in England.  Most in the US are either still imported by Heineken or brewed in CA by Lagunitas (which does still make decent craft brews despite Heineken ownership) but they use a different formula.

Maybe the label gave it away🤣😹

Also brewed in Chicago. Unfortunately the taste suffers. Kinda reminds me of an IPA, which are plain awful as a general rule of thumb. 

Wherever I sail Royal I try and bring a few home since you can't get them locally. Still curious how Royal gets them

27 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Never seen Shock Top on Board. Blue moon is better, albeit both are big breweries.  I go for whatever craft beer is on board.

As for Fosters,  even Aussies don't drink that crap.  Only uninformed yanks.

Seriously, whats wrong with a big brewery. And why is beer better because you add Craft to the description. Plenty of craft beer is just awful. 

I just don't see a correlation between small and good.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Seriously, whats wrong with a big brewery. And why is beer better because you add Craft to the description. Plenty of craft beer is just awful. 

I agree that plenty of craft is crap, especially all the sours and fruity and gose things.  Lots of IPAs aren't great either.  We have 6 breweries in town and 7 more withing a 100 mile radius.  They all brew 6+ different brews regularly and more seasonally.  IMO only about 4 or 5 of these brews are worth drinking.

My thoughts on craft (true local micro craft) is that they try to harken back to the days when there were lots of local breweries and distribution was difficult to keep them fresh.  No craft beer had great self life until canning became popular and many signed on with big beer for distribution outlets.   But its kinda like  someone above said about drinking Red Stripe--Support the locals.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I agree that plenty of craft is crap, especially all the sours and fruity and gose things.  Lots of IPAs aren't great either.  We have 6 breweries in town and 7 more withing a 100 mile radius.  They all brew 6+ different brews regularly and more seasonally.  IMO only about 4 or 5 of these brews are worth drinking.

My thoughts on craft (true local micro craft) is that they try to harken back to the days when there were lots of local breweries and distribution was difficult to keep them fresh.  No craft beer had great self life until canning became popular and many signed on with big beer for distribution outlets.   But its kinda like  someone above said about drinking Red Stripe--Support the locals.

Always get a pattie and a Red Stripe or two in Falmouth. Pepper's Jerk Center just outside gate is good, but sometimes it's just the kiosk in the compound. 

Unfortunately I'm drawn to the 16oz cans up on the pool deck when on the ship.

I have found a local brown ale called Dukes here in Florida that is very nice.

Screenshot_20220724-124300_Google.thumb.jpg.2510de0cf356954d613b958a0adad699.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

There is none. i can pretty much drink any kind of beer. Lagers, Ales, Pilners, IPA, Porters, etc. Half the time I'm not even sure which "style" of beer I'm drinking I just know some are good and some are not., whether it's from a big brewery or small brewery,  import or domestic, etc. The only beers I really do not like are the fruity ones that sound like they should be a pancake syrup. The maple blueberry ales or chocolate coffee lagers.  The only exception is summer brews. A small amount of lime or lemon is acceptable.

Having said all that, I get bored drinking the same beer after awhile so I'm always looking for a new taste. And the small craft breweries fulfill that niche. But I agree with you, a lot of craft brews are crap. They get too creative with the recipes trying to set themselves apart and end up ruining what should be a good beer.

And most craft beers are still made/owned by the big mega-breweries that produce 90%+ of the beer made.  To a real purist, you won't find a true  craft beer on a ship or large resort as technically speaking, it's produced  in low volumes micro-breweries.

2 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

Whenever I travel, both in the US and abroad, I'm always on the lookout for whatever local beer is available that I normally would not have access to.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KayRaeRae said:

None.  Their beer program is atrocious. 

I agree.  Seems like such a missed opportunity for Royal given the explosion of craft beer popularity everywhere else.  I'm an IPA fan...mid to high IBUs are great for me.  On a Royal ship though, I will happily suffer through a Heineken or a Red Stripe.

We all have our own opinions about things.   Other than life changing events/ideologies/systems, etc etc, I don't see how anyone is more of or lessor of a person because of the brand/type of beer we drink.  I've stated that I don't like IPAs, if you do, go for it.  If this thread was about hamburgers, would I be less of a person because I like a Burger King Whopper better than a McDonald's Big Mac.  I personally don't see the big deal with 5 Guys or In/Out Burger hamburgers but I won't think less of you because you do.  Let's enjoy discussing what kind of beer we like and what is available on a Royal ship.  Let's not turn this fun thread into a pissing contest, please.  No, I'm not a moderator.  I just would like to have some fun with this.  Humor is great though.  I like the "friends don't let friends ........" type of thing.  

BTW, I've already got some good ideas of some beers that I've got to try on my next cruise from you folks. 

16 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I like a good hazy IPA, or a Belgian Saison. Small batch craft beer with a 7% or 8% alcohol content and a mid-range IBU (or lower). Don't think those are options on the ship though. 

We are craft beer drinkers and prefer the same. We have hundreds of craft beers here in Alaska. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I like a good hazy IPA, or a Belgian Saison. Small batch craft beer with a 7% or 8% alcohol content and a mid-range IBU (or lower). Don't think those are options on the ship though. 

We are craft beer drinkers and prefer the same. We have hundreds of craft beers here in Alaska. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saskmountain said:

Very happy to see that Guinness was shown as available in the pub on Allure. 

I have enjoyed a Guinness 🍺 on the Serenade of the Seas (Baltic Cruise) in the Crown & Castle Pub as well as the Newcastle Brown on tap👍 ...Hope to do the same for Alaska Sept 2022🍻

Duke’s comes from Bold City here in Jacksonville.  We have several great local craft breweries, a few of which do distribute locally and throughout some parts of Florida and are not yet owned by big beer, not that matters to me either!  A good beer is a good beer no matter who makes it but we do our best to support local breweries where we live and when we travel.  If you ever sail out of FLL they have numerous craft breweries around town which are good.  We try to find one even when in the islands and just found one we’ll try in Cozumel in a couple weeks.

CHEERS TO GOOD BEER AND CRUSING!

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Always get a pattie and a Red Stripe or two in Falmouth. Pepper's Jerk Center just outside gate is good, but sometimes it's just the kiosk in the compound. 

Unfortunately I'm drawn to the 16oz cans up on the pool deck when on the ship.

I have found a local brown ale called Dukes here in Florida that is very nice.

Screenshot_20220724-124300_Google.thumb.jpg.2510de0cf356954d613b958a0adad699.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to ask about a Canadian beer and if it is available on Royal Ship's.  I grew up in and around Montreal, Canada.  From the age of 16 until about 18, I drank Dow Ale.  I then went into the U.S. Army for over 20 years and haven't been back to Canada except for a few days ever 5 or so years.  And all my relative drink Labatt or Molson.  So, Dow never came to mind.  So, as said, I was going to ask about Dow being on Royal Ships.  But, I did a little research before I went ahead and asked the question and found out that after it was discovered that Dow had an ingredient that caused heart problems and deaths resulted and eventually went out of production.  So, I guess it's safe to assume that Royal doesn't have Dow Ale.  

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My favorite is pretty much anything other than Coors Light. 

And on a super hot day when I'm outside baking in the sun, a Coors Light will do in a pinch. 

Coor’s light is like sex in a canoe. F$&king near water

or so say my beer drinking friends. We are wine and liquor drinkers

• Haha 2