Skagway AK Landslide possibility causes itinerary "adjustments"...

D. B.

To Encapsulated.....

This affects All Cruise lines with Larger Ships that do not fit well at the other Piers in Skagway.

I was on Millenium in July and we tied up at the Forward RR pier that is right where the rockslides are.

Some of the larger ships are (or were) tying up to the Aft RR pier and have guests use tenders to get to town instead of having them walk  down the pier past the rockslide area for safety reasons.

You May  get a notice from Celebrity soon or not know your Skagway status till you are onboard.

All the cruise lines serving Skagway are jockeying for positions to keep their Skagway stops or switch to Sitka or Icy Straight Point as alternate stops.

We are booked on the upcoming Aug 18 cruise on Ruby Princess to Alaska with booked excursion in Skagway. We called Princess customer service to enquire status of Skagway excursions due to closed dock for rest of 2022 from news this morning. Princess has no new information and in fact they weren't even aware of the latest rock slide.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Looks like a bunch of White Pass RR loco's are stuck Past the slide until the tracks can be cleared.

If your referring to my pic.  No they can move freely.    
when I was there Thursday  the train actually moved past the slide area.  Towards the back berth where we were moored.   
this pic is where the tenders take you.   And where the trains were going.     
the train dropped people off right by the marina in the pic.  

11A5E7C4-44E0-4D92-BE6A-99838CEB660F.jpeg

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sunsetme said:

I have been to both places and I spent about 6 days in Haines one fall.  As far as I am concerned docking at Haines in better than docking at Skagway.  Haines is a real town where real people live and would continue to live there if the ships stopped coming.  If the ships stopped coming to Skagway the town would dry up and blow away.

DON

• Like 1

Lots of Shore Excursion Options in Skagway that I Love.

As for Haines being a Real Town I don't care about that.

I would Hope Princess would let us Know before we board the ship on August 20th.  Where they plan to Stop.

Anyone know what Princess Shore Excursions are available in Haines?

19 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Lots of Shore Excursion Options in Skagway that I Love.

As for Haines being a Real Town I don't care about that.

I would Hope Princess would let us Know before we board the ship on August 20th.  Where they plan to Stop.

Anyone know what Princess Shore Excursions are available in Haines?

If you are talking about the Royal leaving on the 20th the Skagway port still shows the Royal in Skagway on the north bound voyage. The southbound from Whittier on the 27th is no longer on that port list and is in the Haines port 

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Thanks for posting this...we are on the 8/28 sailing of the Discovery due to be in Skagway on 9/1 and we are not listed....I wonder when Princess will tell us where we are going?

The Royal's southbound from Whittier is stopping in Haines on the 16th and 30th. Though the Skagway stop on September 13th has yet to be announced, it makes sense that it would also stop in Haines also.

https://www.visithaines.com/cruise-ships-and-ferries/cruise-ship-schedule/

Edited by twprincessfirsties

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Thanks for posting.  I had read that the captain on Discovery announced earlier this week that they would be stopping at Skagway after all tomorrow.  One of the three other scheduled ships must not be able to make it but we will need to wait to see how this happens.

We are on the Discovery Princess next week and will be stopping in Skagway on 8/18 according to the schedule --- have not received any correspondence from Princess saying otherwise.  Since we are assigned to the RRA dock, I am pretty sure we will be tendering.

5 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

Thanks for posting this...we are on the 8/28 sailing of the Discovery due to be in Skagway on 9/1 and we are not listed....I wonder when Princess will tell us where we are going?

You might want to check the port schedules for Icy Strait Point, Haines, and Sitka to see if you see anything 

• Like 1

I will be on Royal 14 nights Alaska-Aug. 20-Sept. 3rd. Our stop in Skagway August 30th. looks like it has been changed to Haines (seen on Haines Port Schedule) so I hope PCL opens up Shore Excursions for Haines soon.

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

I will be on Royal 14 nights Alaska-Aug. 20-Sept. 3rd. Our stop in Skagway August 30th. looks like it has been changed to Haines (seen on Haines Port Schedule) so I hope PCL opens up Shore Excursions for Haines soon.

My guess is that they will keep all the Skagway excursions and use the fast ferry to move you to Skagway

Update from Princess on Cruise Industry News: 

“…because the forward dock that has been closed for the season is the primary location where Princess Royal Class ships dock, and because there are no other viable alternatives, Princess is making adjustments to 10 itineraries, including:   

• - the August 23 and September 6 sail dates for Majestic Princess and August 25 and September 1 sailings for Discovery Princess will now feature Icy Strait Point 

• - the August 16 and August 30 sail dates for Royal Princess will feature Haines 

• - the August 11, September 8, and September 22 sail dates for Discovery Princess and September 13 sail date for Royal Princess will feature Sitka 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28029-princess-cruises-makes-more-changes-to-skagway-calls.html

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Update from Princess on Cruise Industry News: 

“…because the forward dock that has been closed for the season is the primary location where Princess Royal Class ships dock, and because there are no other viable alternatives, Princess is making adjustments to 10 itineraries, including:   

• - the August 23 and September 6 sail dates for Majestic Princess and August 25 and September 1 sailings for Discovery Princess will now feature Icy Strait Point 

• - the August 16 and August 30 sail dates for Royal Princess will feature Haines 

• - the August 11, September 8, and September 22 sail dates for Discovery Princess and September 13 sail date for Royal Princess will feature Sitka 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28029-princess-cruises-makes-more-changes-to-skagway-calls.html

I am a little confused by the last bit of information for the Discovery Princess --- the statement mentions the August 11th sail date for the Discovery, our sail date is August 14th on the Discovery.  Something seems off.