Cruise with Confidence Program & COVID Pre-travel Testing PROBLEM?

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The best plan B is what RCI recommends and sells - the eMed kit.

Plan C is the mobile lab in the parking lot in Bayonne.

Unfortunately, emed would not be able to respond within the less-than-48 window so either I buy it ahead of time (i.e. pay for two services and hope one comes thru) or hope the first one comes thru.

Again, just want to know from RCL what IF?

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

When is the CWC cutoff?  Is it not at 48 hours (as the OP indicated)?

I think it's more like night before that - I seem to recall someone reporting that exactly 48 hours is too late to try to cancel under CWC. Again, for the OP, the issue still valid - you won't know that you need to come up with a Plan B or C for testing within the cancellation period.

Biker, who will be glad to not have to hear about CWC issues in more a couple of months.

Just now, Project-College said:

Don't count on getting an iron clad answer for that from front line CSRs you get on the phone, but assume as others have said, that you'll be denied boarding without a test and very unlikely you'll get any compensation.

7 minutes ago, Project-College said:

On the RCL sight it said a Friday Sailing (8/5) the test could NOT be done prior to Wednesday.  My Online Proctored test is scheduled for the first available time on Wednesday 8am (wife and I) and Boys (2) at 8:30am.  If the service DEFAULTS.... that where my clock starts for PLAN B. 

Most urgent Care centers will do them for a fee

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Unfortunately, emed would not be able to respond within the less-than-48 window so either I buy it ahead of time (i.e. pay for two services and hope one comes thru) or hope the first one comes thru.

I'm confused about what you are asking here.  If you use emed (sold by/through RC), then your concern of "What happens then if your PLAN A (Online Proctor Service) does not meet their obligations" is moot.  RC sells the test, so by definition it WILL meet their obligations.

I see some of you, veteran cruiser too, think I am paranoid or 'not trusting those around me' but you obviously do not have access to what 'legal actions' are going on across the country about situations of default by online Covid Test Proctors!

Many people have reported no problems but.... you do not hear about the many that do as they are instructed by their legal counsel NOT to post.

Again, at an absolute minimum, I do not understand why I can't get a qualified answer as to a set of fully defined variables.... try to test, try to find alternative within 48 hour window, couldn't, denied access to ship.... what happens?

If the 'qualified answer is you loose all your money then either I have to have a 'rock-solid' Plan B or Cancel now, as was suggested.

Cost of alternative is again a concern BUT not the main concern... probability of alternative IS.

13 minutes ago, Project-College said:

On the RCL sight it said a Friday Sailing (8/5) the test could NOT be done prior to Wednesday.  My Online Proctored test is scheduled for the first available time on Wednesday 8am (wife and I) and Boys (2) at 8:30am.  If the service DEFAULTS.... that where my clock starts for PLAN B. 

A week out you can schedule tests at  Walgreens as a back up.  That's what we did.  Not sure if they have changed that or not.   When the first test went through fine we cancelled the other appointments.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

RC sells the test, so by definition it WILL meet their obligations.

The poster worries/thinks emed (or other proctoring service) may go out of business between the time they buy the test and when they have to test.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

I see some of you, veteran cruiser too, think I am paranoid or 'not trusting those around me' but you obviously do not have access to what 'legal actions' are going on across the country about situations of default by online Covid Test Proctors!

Many people have reported no problems but.... you do not hear about the many that do as they are instructed by their legal counsel NOT to post.

Again, at an absolute minimum, I do not understand why I can't get a qualified answer as to a set of fully defined variables.... try to test, try to find alternative within 48 hour window, couldn't, denied access to ship.... what happens?

If the 'qualified answer is you loose all your money then either I have to have a 'rock-solid' Plan B or Cancel now, as was suggested.

Cost of alternative is again a concern BUT not the main concern... probability of alternative IS.

Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to start a lawsuit 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm confused about what you are asking here.  If you use emed (sold by/through RC), then your concern of "What happens then if your PLAN A (Online Proctor Service) does not meet their obligations" is moot.  RC sells the test, so by definition it WILL meet their obligations.

Read the fine print.... Yes emed is accepted, almost any Online Proctor service IS accepted by RCL.  BUT RCL does not accept an liability connected to emed, as if they default, RCL does NOT respond.

3 minutes ago, Wrunkles said:

A week out you can schedule tests at  Walgreens as a back up.  That's what we did.  Not sure if they have changed that or not.   When the first test went through fine we cancelled the other appointments.  

Really, I was just told there were no cancellations from the NJ Walgreens... your charged regardless and the fee now for a TRAVEL precovid was one of the highest?

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The poster worries/thinks emed (or other proctoring service) may go out of business between the time they buy the test and when they have to test.

Not 'go out of business' but default on the appt.

eMed appears to be defined as the 'GOLD' standard but you might want to view the Court pendings and the BBB when ever judging a company.  

Read the fine print.... Yes emed is accepted, almost any Online Proctor service IS accepted by RCL.  BUT RCL does not accept an liability connected to emed, as if they default, RCL does NOT respond.

The cruise line is not going to accept responsibility, you have to accept the responsibility of getting tested.  You have many choices, some much more expensive but they exist.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to start a lawsuit 

Any Attorney will tell you, if your planning a Lawsuit, you don't publicize it BEFORE you file it.

All I want is to know... what if?

I don't think you know how many lawsuits are pending out there with Cruise Companies and how long they take to resolve.  My simple $5k for the cruise and 1.5k supplements wouldn't even justify small claims!

• Haha 2

Really, I was just told there were no cancellations from the NJ Walgreens... your charged regardless and the fee now for a TRAVEL precovid was one of the highest?

Really..lol   That's in NC where I was able to cancel right through my confirmation email.  I'm just sharing my experience, of course you need to see if it can apply to you in your state.   Yes, they do charge now for travel.  I was trying to help with your plan B not suggest the cheapest option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrunkles said:

Really..lol   That's in NC where I was able to cancel right through my confirmation email.  I'm just sharing my experience, of course you need to see if it can apply to you in your state.   Yes, they do charge now for travel.  I was trying to help with your plan B not suggest the cheapest option.

... and I appreciate it.  Knowing my DW I probably will consider a PLAN B as a possible 'sunk cost' regardless but still wish I could get a straight answer from RCL.

11 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Not 'go out of business' but default on the appt.

eMed appears to be defined as the 'GOLD' standard but you might want to view the Court pendings and the BBB when ever judging a company.  

What appointment?  With emed, I've never made an appointment.  (I didn't even know you could.)  I just log on, and they're there.

Edited by time4u2go

Not to sound dismissive in any way, as I understand your concern. We have now completed 10 RCL cruises since restart, and have been tested multiple times.  RCL accepts any proctored test that issues a written confirmation that states a negative result within the two day window prior to boarding.  Their review is done in the embarkation queue and performed by their check-in agents.  There is no in-depth check or validation done - you are expected to have had it completed according to their requirements and as long as it's provided in written form, it is accepted as valid. We've checked in in Florida, Italy and the Netherlands - the process was the same - show the letter/report either printed or on your phone - and as long as the date, name and "NEGATIVE" is there, it's accepted.  No copies are submitted, retained or requested.  

• Like 1

Let me close this as I am feeling more like one-against-the-world a bit.

If a contract is formed, (and a booking is absolutely a contract) remedies, or lack thereof, for defaults by either party must by law be clearly defined and understood or provided to a requesting party in a timely and effective manner. 

That's not me speaking.... by a Justice in the US Supreme Court.

I don’t think anyone you can talk to at RCL can answer the question, my guess is you wouldn’t be able to board and wouldn’t get a refund. Personally I wouldn’t be worried, no one I know has had any issues with proctored tests, and I can think of at least 3 places within a mile of my home that still tests without appointments. I’d look into those.