A couple of check-in questions

A couple quick check-in questions:

1. Do I have to upload a photo of me (and everyone in my party) in the check-in area on the RC website?  Is it really necessary or can they just take a photo of each of us when we actually check in at the pier on our sailing day?    Will it save a ton a time if the photos are already uploaded?

2.  Should I print out all of our boarding passes (the multi-page document on the website), or is the set sail pass sufficient? I have added our set sail passes to my apple wallet, so I'm assuming that should be good in regards to that.  Should I also print out the set sail passes just in case? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne26 said:

Is it really necessary or can they just take a photo of each of us when we actually check in at the pier on our sailing day? 

Will it save a ton a time if the photos are already uploaded?

You can skip the photo upload - it saves about 10 sec at the pier.

All you need is the SetSail pass at check in - in your Wallet is good enough.

• Like 1

I always print the single page set sail pass.   Things can...and do go wrong with trying to just use the phone.  And we don't post our pictures...they take them at the port...and many that do post them in advance, still have to have those pics taken when they get there.  As mentioned.....takes seconds to do so. 

I have been one of those "lucky" people behind a large family waiting to get into the terminal past outside check in agents...when Daddy or Momma can't seem to find the pages on their phone.  Battery, signal, etc...anything can, and could, go wrong with just relying on the phone.  

And no...you don't have to print those multi document pages.  Just the set sail pass.  But I always print, and have in my carry on bag, the two page printed copy of my confirmation/reservation showing zero balance.  CYA   But you don't have to show those...unless you need to if complication arises.  

I print and crop the single set sail page with just the info and bar code, fold it and tuck it into my passport book with Covid vax card and passport.   Hand pack to agent...Easy peasy.  Done and done. 

Tigari Passport and Vaccine Card Holder Combo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I always print the single page set sail pass.   Things can...and do go wrong with trying to just use the phone.  And we don't post our pictures...they take them at the port...and many that do post them in advance, still have to have those pics taken when they get there.  As mentioned.....takes seconds to do so. 

I have been one of those "lucky" people behind a large family waiting to get into the terminal past outside check in agents...when Daddy or Momma can't seem to find the pages on their phone.  Battery, signal, etc...anything can, and could, go wrong with just relying on the phone.  

And no...you don't have to print those multi document pages.  Just the set sail pass.  But I always print, and have in my carry on bag, the two page printed copy of my confirmation/reservation showing zero balance.  CYA   But you don't have to show those...unless you need to if complication arises.  

I print and crop the single set sail page with just the info and bar code, fold it and tuck it into my passport book with Covid vax card and passport.   Hand pack to agent...Easy peasy.  Done and done. 

Tigari Passport and Vaccine Card Holder Combo

Exactly. We also have that style of passport wallet. Ours are black. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Exactly. We also have that style of passport wallet. Ours are black. 

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky's is US Passport Blue....mine is...of course...Lavender.  Couldn't find pink. 

Blue for me, Red for DW, Purple for DD, I think I got my mom the lavender. Color coding to make life easy. Ours also have the little attached elastic that you can slip over the cover to keep them closed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Blue for me, Red for DW, Purple for DD, I think I got my mom the lavender. Color coding to make life easy. Ours also have the little attached elastic that you can slip over the cover to keep them closed.

53 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky's is US Passport Blue....mine is...of course...Lavender.  Couldn't find pink.  😄😉 

Now why didn't I think of that. 😉

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You can skip the photo upload - it saves about 10 sec at the pier.

*IF* the staff member understands what they're doing AND their device works AND it has a good network connection.

We had six people checking in on Mariner last week.  We had uploaded pictures for all six.  We get to the first check in person (where they actually check your documents), no problem.  We got to where you "beep" in on the ship, and one of us had a problem with picture.  So the worker decides to get a new picture... oops, can't get his ipad to work right.  Wait, let's go find another one... ok, here one is, let's go through all the steps to get to where a picture can be taken.  

It was probably 30 seconds-1 minute, which I know doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're eager to get on the ship, AND you've already uploaded pictures, AND you've already gone through one person who saw the picture, it's a little frustrating.

So, yes, it can save time to have the picture uploaded.  And yes, it can be more than 10 seconds, especially if you  have multiple people.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne26 said:

1. Do I have to upload a photo of me (and everyone in my party) in the check-in area on the RC website?  Is it really necessary or can they just take a photo of each of us when we actually check in at the pier on our sailing day?    Will it save a ton a time if the photos are already uploaded?

2.  Should I print out all of our boarding passes (the multi-page document on the website), or is the set sail pass sufficient? I have added our set sail passes to my apple wallet, so I'm assuming that should be good in regards to that.  Should I also print out the set sail passes just in case? 

Thanks! 

I upload our photos and screenshot our boarding passes and pre paid Speciality Dining confirmations.

I forward by WhatsApp the boarding passes to Pauline.

I have the Royal Caribbean App on my phone.

I also print our boarding passes and confirmation invoice.

Graham 

No and No.  Just download the boarding pass on your phone.  We had four and I was the only one to upload my photo.  It made about two seconds difference.  I do take hardcopies of all my paid bev package, excursions and dinner RSVP's.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

10 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Love it.  I never choose anything in basic black -- it's just easier to find colorful things.  

11 hours ago, sne26 said:

You don't have to print the boarding passes, but I think it's a wise thing to do.  You know that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong -- it's just safer to have your materials on your phone AND printed out in your travel wallet.  Small effort, potential big pay off. 

15 hours ago, sne26 said:

Thanks! 

So,,, we always have printed copies of all of our documentation.

Right now, the silliest people are the families where Dad is fumbling around on his phone trying to pull sea pass cards, covid cards, test results (with passwords), ArriveCAN QR codes (for voyages stopping in canada) up on his phone for the family. While dad fumbles, we flash our old fashion paper at the checkers and we're on our way in seconds, while dad is still trying to get the right documents for each member of his family. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, we always have printed copies of all of our documentation.

Right now, the silliest people are the families where Dad is fumbling around on his phone trying to pull sea pass cards, covid cards, test results (with passwords), ArriveCAN QR codes (for voyages stopping in canada) up on his phone for the family. While dad fumbles, we flash our old fashion paper at the checkers and we're on our way in seconds, while dad is still trying to get the right documents for each member of his family. 

I am Dad. This Dad brings printed Sea Pass and test results, and has vac cards in the passport holders. I also get to watch other Dads fumble with swiping through multiple screens for multiple family member while passing phone back and forth from port personnel.

• Like 3

We always put the set sail pass in our apple wallet and just show that.  You don't need signal as some claim, so it is not an issue. We each had our negative test results, vaccine record and ArriveCan information in a file on our phone that we just showed the reps as we went through all the points that they were checking information.  Very simple.

41 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We always put the set sail pass in our apple wallet and just show that.  You don't need signal as some claim, so it is not an issue. We each had our negative test results, vaccine record and ArriveCan information in a file on our phone that we just showed the reps as we went through all the points that they were checking information.  Very simple.

Other than required hard copies like DL, passport and proof of car insurance, and I'm a "paperless" person.  Everything I do is either electronic, or if it originates on paper, I scan it.  And everything is stored in "the cloud" via OneDrive so I can access it from anywhere with an Internet connection.  

Having said that, when I travel, I always carry paper documents - boarding passes, set-sail passes, etc.  It's not really about the time it can take to pull up a document on my phone, but a contingency in case my phone dies, or gets lost, stolen or broken.  I am not one to lose or break things, but you know, "stuff happens". A lost/broken phone might make my vacation a bit more difficult, but without paper docs, it might make my vacation not happen.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Having said that, when I travel, I always carry paper documents - boarding passes, set-sail passes, etc.  It's not really about the time it can take to pull up a document on my phone, but a contingency in case my phone dies, or gets lost, stolen or broken.  I am not one to lose or break things, but you know, "stuff happens". A lost/broken phone might make my vacation a bit more difficult, but without paper docs, it might make my vacation not happen.  

Paper can get lost too.

20 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Paper can get lost too.

I'm with @Rudeney.  Yes, the phone can die and papers can get lost.  The odds of BOTH of those things happening are extremely rare.  

I had set sail passes printed.  They stayed in my bag.  I screen captured everyone's digital copy and sent it to them on their phone.  They each held their passports and vax card.  Easy peasy. 

14 minutes ago, rudeney said:

True, but I have both - it's on my phone and on paper.  Belt and suspenders!  😁

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm with @Rudeney.  Yes, the phone can die and papers can get lost.  The odds of BOTH of those things happening are extremely rare.  

I had set sail passes printed.  They stayed in my bag.  I screen captured everyone's digital copy and sent it to them on their phone.  They each held their passports and vax card.  Easy peasy. 

Look at you two jumping to conclusions.  I said we put our set sail pass in our apple wallet and have our other required documents in a file on our phones and that using you phone is very simple.  I said nothing about have backup as that was not what I was addressing.  Both my DH and I have each other's information on the other's phone, so I do have a back up.  Our vaccine cards are in our passport covers but they are never taken out as the digital version was fine.  We did not have a paper backup of our negative test results or ArriveCan as we had to do both after we arrived in Seattle and chose not to print at the hotel.  All that information was in our email, the file created on our phones, each other's phone and in the respective apps.  I could have accessed if needed.  Set sail passes can be printed by the reps at the pier in the event you do not have one.

We had ourselves covered.  One of the port workers who was doing the final document check before you went up the escalator to check in actually commented how organized we were and that having the documents in one file to show her made it very easy.

We have belt, suspenders and a change of clothes, we are good, we will sail!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Look at you two jumping to conclusions.  I said we put our set sail pass in our apple wallet and have our other required documents in a file on our phones and that using you phone is very simple.  I said nothing about have backup as that was not what I was addressing.  Both my DH and I have each other's information on the other's phone, so I do have a back up.  Our vaccine cards are in our passport covers but they are never taken out as the digital version was fine.  We did not have a paper backup of our negative test results or ArriveCan as we had to do both after we arrived in Seattle and chose not to print at the hotel.  All that information was in our email, the file created on our phones, each other's phone and in the respective apps.  I could have accessed if needed.  Set sail passes can be printed by the reps at the pier in the event you do not have one.

We had ourselves covered.  One of the port workers who was doing the final document check before you went up the escalator to check in actually commented how organized we were and that having the documents in one file to show her made it very easy.

We have belt, suspenders and a change of clothes, we are good, we will sail!

No worries!  I was just saying that when I travel, I find paper more convenient.  I do have my airline board pass on my phone and let it get scanned that way by the TSA and the gate agent, but I also know that if something goes wrong with that, I can get a replacement paper boarding card.  I remember back in the "good old days" when all we had was paper, and if you lost your airline ticket, it was like losing hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in cash.  Same with cruises tickets.  

What I usually do these days is keep all of my receipt and planning docs save in a OneNote notebook.  I'll copy all emails, screen-captures, and other documents there.  I also keep my planning spreadsheets there (yes I am an obsessive planner!).  When we get ready to go, I just print out the things I know need to be scanned/viewed at various check-ins.  I buy a plastic folder to keep it all in, and that goes in my carry-on.  I then put any receipts and other paperwork (Cruise Planners) collected along the trip in that folder.  When I get home, all the stuff that stuff I printed goes in the trash, and the things I collected get scanned and trashed.  I have a set of folders on my computer full of vacation memorabilia.  Sometimes it's fun to go back and look at that stuff.  

• Like 1