Embassy suites Fort Lauderdale - Equniox

Belfast1916

Hi we are crusing on the 21st Aug on the Equinox and are booked into the Embassy Suites as a package with Celebrity.  A couple of questions:

Has anyone stayed here as part of the Celebrity Cruise package?

On the hotels website it states free breakfast, however, our Celebrity Hotel Voucher states Hotel room, tax and porterage only - will we be given the opportunity to have some breakfast (and pay extra) or should we leave the hotel and try and find somewhere to have a quick bite and a coffee?

This is our first time cruising and first time in Fort Lauderdale.

12 minutes ago, Belfast1916 said:

Hi we are crusing on the 21st Aug on the Equinox and are booked into the Embassy Suites as a package with Celebrity.  A couple of questions:

Has anyone stayed here as part of the Celebrity Cruise package?

On the hotels website it states free breakfast, however, our Celebrity Hotel Voucher states Hotel room, tax and porterage only - will we be given the opportunity to have some breakfast (and pay extra) or should we leave the hotel and try and find somewhere to have a quick bite and a coffee?

This is our first time cruising and first time in Fort Lauderdale.

Breakfast is normally included for all guests. I would think it is for you too. I have never known them checking room numbers etc. It is a basic but tasty hot buffet breakfast with a made to order egg/omelet station.

We have stayed there many times. We have also found the bar menu ideal for a late afternoon/early evening dinner too. Nothing fancy but reliably hot, tasty and at a reasonable price. There is some seating outside as well as inside. Your price also includes a managers (free wine, beer, mixed drinks) reception each evening at 6pm? Perhaps someone else can confirm the time. We have often met fellow cruisers there.

We have stayed at several other Lauderdale hotels but Embassy Suites remains a favourite. Near to the boat taxi too. Ideal for a lazy trip around the waterways. Lots of more upmarket restaurants nearby too.

Have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry, Embassy Suites always includes breakfast.  I imagine the voucher you received is a standard voucher good for any hotel that they might book you in, so of course it would state "hotel, tax, porterage only."  I've been to many Embassy Suites, including Ft. Lauderdale, and have NEVER been checked for room number.  No worries, enjoy the breakfast.  I think it's great!  Eggs to order, lots of bacon,  sausage  toast options, cereals, etc.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a great location.   
You can walk to dinner...
Bistro Mezzaluna for Italian 
Several seafood places right across 17th Street.
Also, there is a publix, wine store, several coffee shops, pretty much adjacent to the Embassy suites parking lot.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hasentreelake said:

That is a great location.   
You can walk to dinner...
Bistro Mezzaluna for Italian 
Several seafood places right across 17th Street.
Also, there is a publix, wine store, several coffee shops, pretty much adjacent to the Embassy suites parking lot.   

ahhhh... agree   with Bistro Mezzaluna we had dinner there recently and loved it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We stayed there in March, April and earlier this month. Never asked for anything like a key at breakfast. FYI, the rooms are showing their age, but we still like the hotel for it’s other amenities and convenience. The side street is Cordova. Across from the hotel on Cordova is Duffy’s. It’s a sports bar and they have some nice outside seating. Always 2-for-1 drinks. On that same side of Cordova, but across 17th Street and down a couple of blocks is Southport Raw Bar. It’s a dive, but walk through the restaurant to the deck out back which sits on the Intracoastal. They almost always have live music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's good but some rooms have quite a bit of wear and tear on the furniture.  Breakfast will be included 7 days a week and also they'll have an evening reception although that could be on weeknights only

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

We have stayed here pre cruise several times.I agree  with others about condition of the rooms at this Embassy Suites. It does need a redo and upgrade.

What sells the hotel is location. It is a short drive from the airport and to the cruise terminal.Many restaurants and some stores nearby. The breakfast is complimentary,no need to go to another restaurant.

One caveat- the lobby can get congested around check in time and in the morning with guests getting shuttles and other transportation to the pier. 

Enjoy your holiday !

MJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lhsail said:

On that same side of Cordova, but across 17th Street and down a couple of blocks is Southport Raw Bar. It’s a dive, but walk through the restaurant to the deck out back which sits on the Intracoastal. They almost always have live music.

It's about my favorite place in the city, and it really is more "old-school seafood spot on the water" than dive.  I suppose we could have a fantastic discussion about the differences (if any) over some pitchers of beer on their deck.

Regardless, if Heaven doesn't have a place like Southport Raw Bar, then I'm not sure I want to go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It's about my favorite place in the city, and it really is more "old-school seafood spot on the water" than dive.  I suppose we could have a fantastic discussion about the differences (if any) over some pitchers of beer on their deck.

Regardless, if Heaven doesn't have a place like Southport Raw Bar, then I'm not sure I want to go.

Sounds like a great conversation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

This hotel does have quite a lot to offer; hopefully, in the near future, updating the rooms/areas is on the agenda.

We just stayed on July 1 and my parents said the room we were in was updated compared to the room they stayed in on their  last trip in April!  Overall it's a great place to stay. Included breakfast, nice pool, evening reception and a bunch of convenient restaurants. We ate at Duffy's after the evening  reception at the hotel and we didn't wait on a Friday evening! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, musik07 said:

We just stayed on July 1 and my parents said the room we were in was updated compared to the room they stayed in on their  last trip in April!  Overall it's a great place to stay. Included breakfast, nice pool, evening reception and a bunch of convenient restaurants. We ate at Duffy's after the evening  reception at the hotel and we didn't wait on a Friday evening! 

We also like Duffy’s nice bar/restaurant 

4 hours ago, George C said:

Read the reviews, I had a terrible stay last year, hotel definitely went down hill, I normally like embassy suites and this hotel used to be ok. 

I would agree and recommend you read the reviews on TripAdvisor.  We usually stay at the Renaissance; which is just down the street.  Lots of options within walking distance.  We were hoping the Hilton marina would improve as I usually stay at hiltons for work. However, the reviews for the most part are disappointing.  

• Like 1

I stayed there last spring and the hotel could be refreshed but nothing terrible.  The evening munchies and cocktails are not really that tasty, not as good as other Embassy’s I have stayed at.  The staff are very decent and they do have a secured luggage hold area.   My biggest complaint is they did not have the airport shuttle running, free or paid and Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers and Uber drivers are the some of the worst I have ever encountered.  Get a private driver to take you to the hotel.  The hotel paid shuttle to the cruise port is practical.   

I would warn when we were there there were a lot of homeless across the street at one of the shopping areas.  Not the one directly next door but the one a little further away toward the grocery store.  Even though we are urban dwellers and walk a lot this made us quite uncomfortable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, maggieq said:

I would agree and recommend you read the reviews on TripAdvisor.  We usually stay at the Renaissance; which is just down the street.  Lots of options within walking distance.  We were hoping the Hilton marina would improve as I usually stay at hiltons for work. However, the reviews for the most part are disappointing.  

I stayed at the Hilton Marina recently.  
It is a 'convention' hotel.  The Convention center is walking distance to this hotel.
It is really not set up for a tourist or cruise hotel.
I am a Hilton Honors person for many years - stay away from this one if you are cruising.
That said, you can walk to the Boatyard restaurant , which has great happy hour specials!

It's amazing to me people object to the behavior in the Ocean View Cafe but seem to accept far worse behavior at the Embassy Suites breakfast buffet.  The place is extremely crowded in the morning with returning passengers milling about the lobby and breakfast area along with people that have stayed the night.  If you want a place to maximize your Covid exposure, this is the place.  Never again.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I stayed there last spring and the hotel could be refreshed but nothing terrible.  The evening munchies and cocktails are not really that tasty, not as good as other Embassy’s I have stayed at.  The staff are very decent and they do have a secured luggage hold area.   My biggest complaint is they did not have the airport shuttle running, free or paid and Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers and Uber drivers are the some of the worst I have ever encountered.  Get a private driver to take you to the hotel.  The hotel paid shuttle to the cruise port is practical.   

I would warn when we were there there were a lot of homeless across the street at one of the shopping areas.  Not the one directly next door but the one a little further away toward the grocery store.  Even though we are urban dwellers and walk a lot this made us quite uncomfortable 

I would agree that the area itself has made us rethink staying at the Renaissance in January and spending more to stay in the beach area.   It’s a shame too as we loved to do our morning walk and then sit outside the bagel place and enjoy our pre-cruise coffee and tea. 

We gave up on Embassy Suites after or October cruise last year. Maybe it was just jitters after having not interacted with crowds for so long but when we went down for breakfast it was just too much. Long lines, everything was in one line so no separate stations for cold items, coffee station was jammed with people waiting for food, etc. Added that the rooms needed updated, we paid for a balcony with one broken chair and a door that hardly opened, etc. Much as we love the outdoor area there it will be a long time until we return. Stayed at Renaissance Inn in March. Cleaner, smaller room, outdoor area not as tropical feeling but we have opted to stay there again in December. 

Since you have received info on the hotel itself, I will comment on transportation. 
FLL to Embassy Suites:

Uber or Lyft is my first choice.  Taxi would be my second choice.  I have found    Taxis to be fine but the last 5 years, Uber is my go to.

Embassy Suites to Cruise Terminal:

Uber or Lyft again is my first choice.  Taxi is my backup.  The taxi can be ordered by the door person.  I used the Embassy’s Suite transportation, when I was a rookie.  This service is a per person charge (expensive) and carries about 10 people including luggage, and you just pray your not the last stop.

Cruise Terminal to FLL

As you may have checked Google you will have noticed FLL is almost next to the airport.  My go to is a Taxi, never had to wait for one.

The above info has been my experience, others I am sure will have different suggestions.

• Like 1