Points Guy article - old and new Lido deck entertainment options

Ashley Kosciolek of The Points Guy had a nice article on some of the entertainment options around Lido that are being phased out and introduced.  Take a look: Carnival Cruise Line ends bellyflop and hairy chest contests (thepointsguy.com) .

The two big cuts are in the headline.  I don't remember the bellyflops, but the Fun Times and my past CDs used to hype up the hairy chest contests a lot.  I've never participated as they're not my thing.  So, is it true?  No more hairy chest contests post-pandemic?  Let's confirm this!

Several new entertainment options around Lido were listed.  I'll bullet point them; you can read the article for brief details on them:

• Red's Challenge
  • Guess That Groove
  • Groove for St. Jude
  • S-pool-ing Bee
  • Dolphin Race
  • Alphabet Soup
  • Synchronized Swimming
  • Perfect Partners

My notes... I'm surprised Groove for St. Jude is listed, since that's not new.  I think it's been around since I've been cruising (2014).  Guess That Groove is a music competition for groups.  For certain eras, I could solo it and take on most comers.  It's still of interest if I could find a suitable group.  And I've heard of frog racing (on Journeys cruises only these days), but these RedFrog challenges are totally new.

And now I ask - have any of you participated in any of these new items?  How were they?  You can point me toward a trip report if that's easier.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

Synchronized swimming is also not new, i had it on my past cruises and they had it on the magic but under a different confusing generic name of just pool games . it seems to be up to the CD to add it to the scheduled

• Thanks 1

Went on a Journeys cruise a few months ago and they had a Throwback Day where they played a lot of the games that they used to back in the olden times, including frog races and horse racing.  They were a blast!  I don't know why they don't do them anymore!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Went on a Journeys cruise a few months ago and they had a Throwback Day where they played a lot of the games that they used to back in the olden times, including frog races and horse racing.  They were a blast!  I don't know why they don't do them anymore!

I don't know about frog racing, but I've done several Journeys cruises in the past with plenty of "horse" races, and I think I know why they don't do them more widely on other cruises.  First of all, there's a parimutuel element to the betting on the "horses", but I don't think the house takes a cut.  In other words, it doesn't bring in revenue for Carnival.  And second, it's resource intensive.  The ones I've seen have either been held in the main theater or the aft theater - both of which are used a lot.  And they have at least two entertainment staff running things.

It's fun, IMHO, but I can understand why they don't do it more often.

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I was just thinking of the horse racing and thought no one but me would remember it.

30 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

And second, it's resource intensive.  The ones I've seen have either been held in the main theater or the aft theater - both of which are used a lot.  And they have at least two entertainment staff running things.

It's fun, IMHO, but I can understand why they don't do it more often.

I first participated in betting on horses aboard the old Jubilee in 1991. At that time the races were held poolside underneath an awning that provided shade for those who wanted it. Having it on lido on a sunny sea day was perfect and there was lots of excitement and betting.

Years later, in 2016, I played aboard Crown Princess where it was held in the evening in the main atrium. Still fun but not as busy or exciting. Carnival knew what it was doing when they made it a sea day activity held on the lido adjacent to the pool area. I'm hoping they will have horse racing on my Journey cruise in January.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I first participated in betting on horses aboard the old Jubilee in 1991. At that time the races were held poolside underneath an awning that provided shade for those who wanted it. Having it on lido on a sunny sea day was perfect and there was lots of excitement and betting.

Years later, in 2016, I played aboard Crown Princess where it was held in the evening in the main atrium. Still fun but not as busy or exciting. Carnival knew what it was doing when they made it a sea day activity held on the lido adjacent to the pool area. I'm hoping they will have horse racing on my Journey cruise in January.

Thanks for the perspective on what it was like in years past and what it was like on another cruise line.  I hope you have a good time with the modern horse racing, because I'm sure it will be on your Journeys cruise in January, but I think it's very unlikely it will be by the pool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

There is that variation. and others.

Thanks! In the depths of my mind I remember seeing pictures of people holding the horse cut-outs and talking about racing horses on a ship. I’ve never actually seen a race.

15 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Thanks! In the depths of my mind I remember seeing pictures of people holding the horse cut-outs and talking about racing horses on a ship. I’ve never actually seen a race.

When I saw it at the pool, probably on ecstasy. The horses were on a board and wore different colors and dice were rolled how many spaces the horses could move. People werent wearing the horses. 

It was a poolside game and lots of loud cheering even if you didnt bet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

When I saw it at the pool, probably on ecstasy. The horses were on a board and wore different colors and dice were rolled how many spaces the horses could move. People weren't wearing the horses. 

Yes. Some years later Carnival combined racing into two separate but related events. First, it was in the Carnival Capers the day before racing day that guests could meet with a deck team member and select a horse to take and decorate the horse. On race day there would first be a contest for best decorated horse and a prize awarded (usually a bottle of sparking wine.) Then the races would  begin. Both activities took place on lido.

Edited by sanmarcosman

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

When I saw it at the pool, probably on ecstasy. The horses were on a board and wore different colors and dice were rolled how many spaces the horses could move. People werent wearing the horses. 

I never thought that the people were wearing horse costumes, but holding a horse cut-out attached to a stick type holder (like a protest sign). Now I see how the horses advanced…a roll of the dice….like Monopoly.  I can imagine there’d be alot of cheering!!   

2 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I never thought that the people were wearing horse costumes, but holding a horse cut-out attached to a stick type holder (like a protest sign). Now I see how the horses advanced…a roll of the dice….like Monopoly.  I can imagine there’d be alot of cheering!!   

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Ashley Kosciolek of The Points Guy had a nice article on some of the entertainment options around Lido that are being phased out and introduced.  Take a look: Carnival Cruise Line ends bellyflop and hairy chest contests (thepointsguy.com) .

The two big cuts are in the headline.  I don't remember the bellyflops, but the Fun Times and my past CDs used to hype up the hairy chest contests a lot.  I've never participated as they're not my thing.  So, is it true?  No more hairy chest contests post-pandemic?  Let's confirm this!

Several new entertainment options around Lido were listed.  I'll bullet point them; you can read the article for brief details on them:

• Red's Challenge
  • Guess That Groove
  • Groove for St. Jude
  • S-pool-ing Bee
  • Dolphin Race
  • Alphabet Soup
  • Synchronized Swimming
  • Perfect Partners

My notes... I'm surprised Groove for St. Jude is listed, since that's not new.  I think it's been around since I've been cruising (2014).  Guess That Groove is a music competition for groups.  For certain eras, I could solo it and take on most comers.  It's still of interest if I could find a suitable group.  And I've heard of frog racing (on Journeys cruises only these days), but these RedFrog challenges are totally new.

And now I ask - have any of you participated in any of these new items?  How were they?  You can point me toward a trip report if that's easier.

Thanks for the link for TPG

• Thanks 1