Starting to get a Carnival vibe

coaster

Watching lots of YouTube cruise blogs lately. One couple I follow goes on a large variety of ships. Just seen them on Horizon and Mardi Gras. Interiors seem really nice and the included food looks so awesome! They also went on  the older Splendour with lots of pink circles inside and it was shocking how tacky it was. Willing to try out the Vista class though and Mardi Gras. Never been on Carnival in over 25 cruises due to the Las Vegas type interiors, but these newer ships have changed my mind. Love good draught beer also. I give Carnival credit for these newer ships!

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Watching lots of YouTube cruise blogs lately. One couple I follow goes on a large variety of ships. Just seen them on Horizon and Mardi Gras. Interiors seem really nice and the included food looks so awesome! They also went on  the older Splendour with lots of pink circles inside and it was shocking how tacky it was. Willing to try out the Vista class though and Mardi Gras. Never been on Carnival in over 25 cruises due to the Las Vegas type interiors, but these newer ships have changed my mind. Love good draught beer also. I give Carnival credit for these newer ships!

Honestly, the old decor isn’t my favorite either, but we really have a great time on Carnival. Like you said the food options, especially for lunch, are yummy and the drinks are excellent too. The decor is just kind of meh on the old ships but we can’t wait to sail the Mardi Gras, it looks absolutely beautiful! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coaster said:

I haven't been on splendor but many others and never thought ge how tacky. Frankly I'm tired of the green decor on rcl. I like all the bright colors on carnival and never once said how tacky. It's a vacation. Unrelenting drab olive green on rcl looks dated to me. 

Vista has a brewery onboard since you say you like beer. Only a few ships have a brewery but  might be worth looking into. 

I like the fast food lunches on carnival better and their pizza is made from scratch unlike rcl. They the white pizza. It's my favorite. Cookies and dinner better on rcl. Each has things they do better.

The decor never mattered to me lol. 

• Like 3

Definitely give Carnival a try. I have a number of friends and coworkers who wouldn't even think of cruising with Carnival in the past due to the decor of the ships and the stories they had heard, but now cruise Carnival regularly after trying the newer ships. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

If you book Vista class and Excel Class you'll be fine. Definitely don't book the Spirit class. 

Absolutely disagree.  31 cruises and just got off of the Miracle. It is by far my favorite Carnival ship. Bigger is not better and I have been on the Vista several times because it sails out of Galveston. The Miracle may be gaudy, but the Vista has all the charm of an IBM office hallway. The Miracle had no waiting in long food lines at any time and the elevators were not packed and slow moving as it is on larger ships. I will continue to cruise on the larger ships, but only because that is what is usually available, but it seems to me the only advantage they seem to have is a larger television. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

If you book Vista class and Excel Class you'll be fine. Definitely don't book the Spirit class. 

I liked miracle I took to alaska. Spirit class has the most space per pax in the fleet, less crowded. 

Took me a while to warm up to vista with its closed promenade where I cant see the ocean like older builds. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wallbanger said:

Absolutely disagree.  31 cruises and just got off of the Miracle. It is by far my favorite Carnival ship. Bigger is not better and I have been on the Vista several times because it sails out of Galveston. The Miracle may be gaudy, but the Vista has all the charm of an IBM office hallway. The Miracle had no waiting in long food lines at any time and the elevators were not packed and slow moving as it is on larger ships. I will continue to cruise on the larger ships, but only because that is what is usually available, but it seems to me the only advantage they seem to have is a larger television. 

The OP is stating they don't want to sail on a Carnival ship that has the old Vegas vibe and enjoyed the videos about Horizon and Mardi Gras. I was just confirming the OP's thoughts. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Wallbanger said:

As Kwokpot mentions, though, this OP said they don't have any interest in typical older Carnival ships with the wild decor. Plus, right now it seems like Spirit class is sort of hitting rock bottom as far as showing its age. Several recent reviews grumbling about them being in poor condition.  I hope they get the full Sunshine treatment as I think they have a very nice layout and balcony : oceanview : Interior room ratio but I was on Legend last winter and the only decor I would keep is the enchanted forest walkway and the Asian theme lounge on the forward lower decks used as the Punchliner. 

• Like 1

The older ships seem to have character. I know it is not for everyone. It seems everything today is modern and sleek. The older ships have a 70s and 80s charm, may not be for everyone, but seems like a dying breed. We enjoy both the new and older ships. It really comes down to how amazing the crew is. Any ship is worth a try. Enjoy the cruise and vacation from our current reality. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

You have been bitten by the Carnival Cruise Bug!! It has happened to us all.

Welcome to the Carnival Cruise Nuts Brigade! 

What is this Carnival Cruise nuts Brigade you keep mentioning and can anyone join? Do you need to know a secret handshake or anything? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We're making a point of trying all the major cruise lines. So far we've hit MSC, RCL, and NCL, and have Carnival, Celebrity (twice), and Virgin coming up this year and next. Carnival is first up this October on the Mardi Gras. Looking forward to seeing how Carnival goes for us!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karmamule said:

We're making a point of trying all the major cruise lines. So far we've hit MSC, RCL, and NCL, and have Carnival, Celebrity (twice), and Virgin coming up this year and next. Carnival is first up this October on the Mardi Gras. Looking forward to seeing how Carnival goes for us!

We've sailed all those lines and like them all for different reasons. Just got off Virgin this week and it was GREAT. Food was amazing an rivals Celebrity(Our favorite line) and maybe surpasses it. The only negative with Virgin are their cabins. We had an XL Balcony, best cabin before suites, and it's SMALL and not enough storage. The design, although attractive, is cheap Target chic and the room reassembles a dorm room. We love the Mardi Gras and the vast array of food choices is mind boggling. Enjoy your cruises!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We've sailed all those lines and like them all for different reasons. Just got off Virgin this week and it was GREAT. Food was amazing an rivals Celebrity(Our favorite line) and maybe surpasses it. The only negative with Virgin are their cabins. We had an XL Balcony, best cabin before suites, and it's SMALL and not enough storage. The design, although attractive, is cheap Target chic and the room reassembles a dorm room. We love the Mardi Gras and the vast array of food choices is mind boggling. Enjoy your cruises!

Your comments on Virgin line up with my thoughts after watching lots of videos of people on Scarlet and Valiant Lady. Because we got a 200% fare refund after a canceled cruise with them we managed to book the Massive Suite, so yeah 'Target chic' but at least there will be many square feet of Target chic. 😄

If I had to look in my crystal ball I'm going to guess my partner will love Carnival best for all the comfort food options and I'll prefer Celebrity. We both love big ships so the Mardi Gras certainly qualifies, and the Valiant Lady will be the smallest ship we've ever been on in recent years.

• Like 2

First cruise was on the Mardi Gras for high school graduation and later as newlyweds. Then an absence for Disney with a young family and a return on the Ecstasy in 1995. The Celebration came here to Galveston in 2002 and we've been aboard everything with a funnel or Viking Crown Lounge that sails from our home port. Mix in a few more from Miami, Boston and Ft Lauderdale and we are hooked. The Breeze (again!) is next.

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

DSC00564.JPG

DSC_0867.jpg

5.JPG

3.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_0033-001.JPG

GOPR1044.JPG

GOPR0997.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

DSC00635-001.JPG

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC00515.JPG

DSC00497.JPG

11.JPG

6.JPG

4.JPG

2.jpg

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

we managed to book the Massive Suite

Oh wow, that's great! I'm jealous! Oh the Drag Queen show was lots of fun and not dumbed down for the masses. And I have to say the Scarlet Night Pool Party was the best deck party given by any mainstream cruiseline (Sorry Carnival). 

We'll be on the Celebration during Thanksgiving this November and have a Cloud Nine Spa Cabin. Yes the Thermal Suite is a bit small for the size of the ship but it has all the needed facilities and I was always able to get a heated tile lounger on the Mardi Gras on two separate cruises when we had a Cloud Nine Cabin. 

• Like 2

Watching more Carnival YouTube videos from same couple as I speak. Miracle with purple or pink grapes in MDR is hard to digest. Trying to keep an open mind though...

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 9:03 PM, Drew B 58 said:

I find the “tacky” decor charmingly hilarious!  I’ve sailed Splendor twice and found Miracle’s (infamous) main dining room hilarious!

FE4A5C4D-47F4-4AE0-9ACE-91894CF681C1.jpeg

Saw your post after I just posted recently. My bad... Hope MDR spaces dont get tackier than this. Not sure why it is hilarious. Just a poor choice. Joe Farcus do this?

Edited by coaster

23 minutes ago, coaster said:

Watching more Carnival YouTube videos from same couple as I speak. Miracle with purple or pink grapes in MDR is hard to digest. Trying to keep an open mind though...

No need to keep an open mind. There's plenty of Carnival ships without the tackiness for you to try. Despite what some people seem to want to say, enjoying a Carnival cruise doesn't mean you have to put up with dated, tacky interiors. By the same token, the newer, more sedate designs doesn't mean they're not the fun ships.  

• Like 4

Love your honest take kwokpot! Love to sail with you on our first Carnival cruise. You get why some of us are hesitant to sail on Carnival. A good guy!

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1