Is there still a bacon shortage? 🤣🤣

Indianamale

10 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Well you need to expand your search then, yes, there were two recently on Carnival but there was also a big one on Royal as well involving a large group of teenagers.  

One fight on RC and multiple fights on Carnival. It just seems to me like Carnival has more problems than other cruise lines. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

If you have ever done the "Behind the Scenes" tour on a ship, you will understand the issue with bacon.  Those garbage cans from the Lido go downstairs and people have to go through them, laid out on a table to sort and make sure no one is throwing away utensils, plates, cups, etc.  The amount of bacon that ends up in the trash is unreasonable, and all food products go in the food mulcher which gets emptied at sea.  Paper products and the like go into the incinerator bin to be burned, and all other stuff goes into bins that have to be stored below deck until they can be taken off the ship at port.  Its a gross process but everyone should see it and think more about what they throw away onboard...  it has to go somewhere.

Are you saying people only throw away bacon? What's next no pizza because people are throwing too much away?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indianamale said:

Are you saying people only throw away bacon? What's next no pizza because people are throwing too much away?

Its the point that people are obsessed with bacon, but then don't eat as much as they put on their plate, so it gets dumped in the trash.  I would bet no other food gets wasted like bacon.   But my point was that people waste a LOT of food on the cruise, and that drives food costs up.  

My problem with the bacon is that it does not taste good. It is the same quality you can buy in a plastic package in the grocery store. The way they cook it and serve it is the problem. Instead of using a pan or electric grill, they cook it in an oven. Then they pile it in a big pan to let it get cold. Then they serve it near room temperature.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moviela said:

My problem with the bacon is that it does not taste good. It is the same quality you can buy in a plastic package in the grocery store. The way they cook it and serve it is the problem. Instead of using a pan or electric grill, they cook it in an oven. Then they pile it in a big pan to let it get cold. Then they serve it near room temperature.

Baked bacon is the best, I only cook my bacon in the oven. It's the only way it comes out perfect every time. After removing bacon from the oven pan and onto inside out cereal boxes, I'll crack some eggs in it and bake those as well, perfect way to make lots of eggs. Sometimes hash browns before the eggs as well, all in bacon grease. Baking is controlled, great results every time. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Either is bacon is it not? The bacon police give it out don’t they?

It depends on location. If you get bacon at an omelette station or at least one buffet station there will be a server, but I have also seen self-service trays at other stations. Don't know if they still are set up like that. I don't do a lot of breakfasts on cruises these days.

I'll have to try a Deli BLT next Carnival cruise - if it is real bacon and not turkey bacon. They used to overserve it.

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It depends on location. If you get bacon at an omelette station or at least one buffet station there will be a server, but I have also seen self-service trays at other stations. Don't know if they still are set up like that. I don't do a lot of breakfasts on cruises these days.

I'll have to try a Deli BLT next Carnival cruise - if it is real bacon and not turkey bacon. They used to overserve it.

The only place bacon has been self-serve since at least 2018 was Guy's Burgers toppings bar, and on Lido buffet when they had baked potatoes - where they had bacon bits. Other than that it's been rationed out a few strips at the time for years.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

Can sausage get in on this bacon conversation? On the last couple of cruises they have gotten in the habit of mixing different kinds of sausages in the buffet pan. It's like they don't think they ever have enough of one type of sausage to make it through the whole breakfast.

They'll have breakfast links, hot dog looking links, andouille, Italian sausage all out in one pan. Ain't nobody wants to grab fennel-heavy Italian sausage for breakfast on accident. 🤪

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Its the point that people are obsessed with bacon, but then don't eat as much as they put on their plate, so it gets dumped in the trash.  I would bet no other food gets wasted like bacon.   But my point was that people waste a LOT of food on the cruise, and that drives food costs up.  

So? Does the price of the cruise go down if you eat everything off your plate? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thats  must be some of that core math .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mz-s said:

The only place bacon has been self-serve since at least 2018 was Guy's Burgers toppings bar, and on Lido buffet when they had baked potatoes - where they had bacon bits. Other than that it's been rationed out a few strips at the time for years.

Baloney. Some stations have bacon servers, some don't. BTW, Guy's Burger bar no longer has bacon shards. I used to get those to add to pizzas.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Baloney. Some stations have bacon servers, some don't. BTW, Guy's Burger bar no longer has bacon shards. I used to get those to add to pizzas.

They had bacon shards until the COVID restart's "bacon crisis"

I have not seen self-service bacon on a Carnival ship in years. Granted I have not been on every Carnival ship so it's possible I've missed one or two. But it's been years for me. Here lately even the stinking reconstituted ham is sometimes in the back and you have to ask for it! Give me a break!

• Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

They had bacon shards until the COVID restart's "bacon crisis"

and the cruise hogs discovered them and emptied the tray faster than they could fill them. As always, the Me Me Me cult ruined it for everyone else.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Didn't you just say this: ? :

"Don't know if they still are set up like that. I don't do a lot of breakfasts on cruises these days."

If you don't know how can you take a stance stating it's baloney?

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

14 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Didn't you just say this: ? :

"Don't know if they still are set up like that. I don't do a lot of breakfasts on cruises these days."

If you don't know how can you take a stance stating it's baloney?

The post I replied to stated since 2018 to which I replied baloney. If I care enough to look and remember to, I'll check next Carnival cruise. Right now, I don't.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Baked bacon is the best, I only cook my bacon in the oven. It's the only way it comes out perfect every time. After removing bacon from the oven pan and onto inside out cereal boxes, I'll crack some eggs in it and bake those as well, perfect way to make lots of eggs. Sometimes hash browns before the eggs as well, all in bacon grease. Baking is controlled, great results every time. 

How do you bake a cereal box?

• Haha 1

I am sure we will all live without bacon.

What does bother me more about Carnival is that they never have Asian breakfast offerings like the other lines I have been on.  Love a bit of congee for breakfast or curry with My eggs.

Royal also don't offer this.

My point in this narrative is they are not going to keep everyone happy with their breakfast offerings. Blue iguana breakfast is the best anyway.

8 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

I am sure we will all live without bacon.

What does bother me more about Carnival is that they never have Asian breakfast offerings like the other lines I have been on.  Love a bit of congee for breakfast or curry with My eggs.

Perhaps you can ask a server to bring some up from the crew's quarters 😆

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

Royal also don't offer this.

I was on Adventure OTS in December, and while I don't recall Asian breakfast item, they did have a portion of the lunch buffet with Indian food every single day. I don't know if this is done fleet wide for them, but it absolutely should be. I was delicious.