Difference between Sapphire and Diamond Princess

chamima

We've sailed Princess a lot but have never sailed on either the Sapphire or the Diamond. I'm aware that these ships are different than all of the other Princess ships but am not familiar with exactly how. We are looking at the 32 day LA- Tahiti cruise for 2023 and so want to clarify what exactly will be available and what won't. When I look at the deck plans it looks like Alfredos, Vines and the IC are on the Sapphire (but not on the Diamond?) and there seem to be 5 dining rooms.

How does the dining room situation work if we request same table, same time every night (and yes, I'm aware that DMW may not work for that)?

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of main differences between the Sapphire/Diamond and the other Grand class ships.

• The 2 mid-ship dining rooms are split into 4 dining rooms, each with a differently themed decor: Pacific Moon (Asian), Santa Fe (Southwest), Savoy (Dark panelling), Vivaldi (more like a typical Princess dining room).  The menu is the same for all dining rooms.
  • The promenade deck is extra wide, allowing for full length deck loungers.
  • Like the Grand Princess, but unlike the other Grand class ships, Sapphire/Diamond have a covered pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

There are a couple of main differences between the Sapphire/Diamond and the other Grand class ships.

• The 2 mid-ship dining rooms are split into 4 dining rooms, each with a differently themed decor: Pacific Moon (Asian), Santa Fe (Southwest), Savoy (Dark panelling), Vivaldi (more like a typical Princess dining room).  The menu is the same for all dining rooms.
  • The promenade deck is extra wide, allowing for full length deck loungers.
  • Like the Grand Princess, but unlike the other Grand class ships, Sapphire/Diamond have a covered pool.

Thank you!

That covered pool will be wonderful for the 3 or 4 days out of and back into LA when the weather has been less than great. (We've done the 28 day LA-Tahiti several times!)

And the loungers on the promenade deck will also be welcome.

Also, if the menu is the same it'll make trying to stay with one waiter for the 32 days easier.

Sounds like the Sapphire is the perfect ship!

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

Both were sister ships when constructed. The Diamond was converted for the Asia market.

Diamond: There is no International Cafe. Has the Kai Sushi specialty restaurant, menu priced items. Has the Izumi Japanese Baths on deck 15 aft. No Vines

Sapphire: Has an International Cafe. Has  Alfredo's (pizza only), Has Vines.

Cabins are basically the same. Compare the deck plans.

Sapphire is one of our favorite ships in the fleet, definately our favorite Grand class ship for a lot of the reasons mentioned above.  We've never sailed on the Diamond and quite frankly probably never will simply due to the fact that there is no IC.  Alfredo's is a nice to have and one of the reasons we like Sapphire over the Grand class ships that don't have it but the IC seems like a must have for us, especially on cruises with a lot of sea days.

Everybody is different though.  If you don't get a lot of use out of the IC or Alfredo's either one would probably be fine.

• Like 1

Before it left the US, the Sapphire was beloved by many of us. The Diamond has had modifications for the Asian market. The Sapphire had some of the newer places put in when it was refurbished years ago. I don’t know if they are still doing it post pandemic, but those two ships used to have one specialty dish unique to each dining room you could order. It was never listed on the menu; you had to ask your server about it. I loved the Asian dish especially. There’s a character to the Sapphire that we just love. It’s not really something that can be explained, but if you get a chance to sail on her, hopefully you’ll experience the same feeling.

• Like 2

I love the Sapphire. It is the ship I have been on the most.

It is almost like the Golden or Star but a better builder and a few changes. Wider promenade decks, Alfredos, covered pool.  You will like the Sapphire.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I love the Sapphire. It is the ship I have been on the most.

It is almost like the Golden or Star but a better builder and a few changes. Wider promenade decks, Alfredos, covered pool.  You will like the Sapphire.

I just spent the last hour looking at pictures of her. You're right.

Can't believe we've missed sailing on her all these years.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/shiptour.php?r=4784

Edited by chamima

16 minutes ago, chamima said:

I just spent the last hour looking at pictures of her. You're right.

Can't believe we've missed sailing on her all these years.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/shiptour.php?r=4784

I was last on her to Norway in 2018 and she had a great dry dock before and the ship looked great. 

When she came out - it was like night and day between a ship made in Italy vs Japan. The Sapphire just seemed so much better compared to Golden and Star.

She would be my first choice as far as ships right now with the Princess fleet.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, vickie_bernie said:

Bernie and I will be on the Sapphire for the South America season starting December 2.  If you have any questions let us know.

Long time no see.

Will you stay on through 2023 and be my dancing partner again!

8 hours ago, chamima said:

We've sailed Princess a lot but have never sailed on either the Sapphire or the Diamond. I'm aware that these ships are different than all of the other Princess ships but am not familiar with exactly how.

There's no Riviera Deck on both ships. That's the most important difference. So mucho public space because of less pax. Both are extremely nice ships, but I am missing IC on the Diamond.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chamima said:

We've sailed Princess a lot but have never sailed on either the Sapphire or the Diamond. I'm aware that these ships are different than all of the other Princess ships but am not familiar with exactly how.

Forgot: And there's of course no Marina Deck (if you sailed Royal Class before)

22 hours ago, chamima said:

We've sailed Princess a lot but have never sailed on either the Sapphire or the Diamond. I'm aware that these ships are different than all of the other Princess ships but am not familiar with exactly how. We are looking at the 32 day LA- Tahiti cruise for 2023 and so want to clarify what exactly will be available and what won't. When I look at the deck plans it looks like Alfredos, Vines and the IC are on the Sapphire (but not on the Diamond?) and there seem to be 5 dining rooms.

How does the dining room situation work if we request same table, same time every night (and yes, I'm aware that DMW may not work for that)?

Thanks in advance.

We are sailing on the Diamond end of November if you have any more questions. We looked at that cruise for about five minutes but I think the kids would kill us missing a second Thanksgiving in a row! We are flying out the day after Thanksgiving this year for the diamond cruise.We are flying out the day after Thanksgiving this year for the diamond cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There is also the rather mysterious Wake View Bar on Sapphire and Diamond.

Love that area!! We found it when wandering around. Went down the stairs and there was no one there. Spare chairs were stacked here & there. Our own private space. It was great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Love that area!! We found it when wandering around. Went down the stairs and there was no one there. Spare chairs were stacked here & there. Our own private space. It was great.

Is there really a wake view or is it totally interior?

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We did the Escape Room there. Sort of cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Is there really a wake view or is it totally interior?

There is a window or a port hole or something. It actually is a dark bar. Though pretty private and a cool place to hang out.

Here is someone's pics:

Diamond%20Princess%20Wake%20View%20Bar.J 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2