NCL first cruise line to remove ALL Vaccine Requirements!!

3 hours ago, Swells1 said:

I'm happy to not have to worry about pre-cruise testing, but I do prefer my fellow passengers be fully vaccinated. 

I agree. Every cruise since the re-start have had cases of covid on board, not at the beginning but half-way thru and at end of cruise, and also post cruise. We, party of 4, are fully vaxxed, boostered but still contracted covid while on the Joy in March, after the mask mandate was removed. Our cases were mild but it took us 11 days to test negative (antigen).

Last cruise was last month on Star, and I heard people also contracted covid toward the end of 11 day cruise. We got lucky.

These said, can you picture this: what happens when an unvaccinated person who had previously not contracted covid, contracts covid while on the cruise? Will this person have mild symptoms or get full-blown covid (really sick) that requires hospitalization?

Here in Bermuda the population is 65K, but there still are covid deaths. There are about 25-30% unvaccinated.

So, in mho, the unvaccinated may be sailing in dangerous waters. 

• Like 9

Hold on guys! While i applaud the direction we are heading towards, this will confuse a heck of a lot of people. 

For example, we are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in October on the Bliss, but since we stop for one day in Canada, is my assumption correct that the Canadian rule still apply? 

Which are the following: 

image.png.a66d491bff27a7d8f4f376e4a4b1f245.png

Plus the completion of ArriveCan.

Edited by kasimir

12 minutes ago, kasimir said:

Hold on guys! While i applaud the direction we are heading towards, this will confuse a heck of a lot of people. 

For example, we are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in October on the Bliss, but since we stop for one day in Canada, is my assumption correct that the Canadian rule still apply? 

Plus the completion of ArriveCan.

If a country or port has COVID rules that impose additional requirements beyond those of the cruise line, they take precedent over the cruise line's rules. This isn't anything new. That's been the case since day one of the restart, so I'm not sure why it should cause confusion. Cruise lines and countries have changed their rules more times than I can count and this is just the latest change.

Yes, if you're stopping in Canada you have to comply with Canada's rules, including the completion of ArriveCAN.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hope Bermuda lifts testing required.

Very, very unlikely to happen. Bermuda is a small, isolated country with one hospital . Their healthcare system could be overwhelmed in a matter of days by an influx of serious COVID cases  . Also the $40 per person fee for the travel authorization is built into the budget revenue projections through March, 2023  so that's not going away anytime soon.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If a country or port has COVID rules that impose additional requirements beyond those of the cruise line, they take precedent over the cruise line's rules. This isn't anything new. That's been the case since day one of the restart, so I'm not sure why it should cause confusion. Cruise lines and countries have changed their rules more times than I can count and this is just the latest change.

Yes, if you're stopping in Canada you have to comply with Canada's rules, including the completion of ArriveCAN.

Trust me, lots of people will get confused... While myself and many on CC do get it and usually read the fine print, there are many people that don't! They just see the following (on the screenshot from the Sail Safe page) and think "Great, we can cruise again" and don't click the link to see the country specific regulations. 

image.png.18df5969aa450cf63b1a9441d9cc1a0e.png

And while this is not deal breaker for the vaccinated, as you can technically still get tested last minute and submit your ArriveCan and then proceed with embarkation, the unvaccinated will not be able to board, full stop. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kasimir said:

Trust me, lots of people will get confused... While myself and many on CC do get it and usually read the fine print, there are many people that don't! They just see the following (on the screenshot from the Sail Safe page) and think "Great, we can cruise again" and don't click the link to see the country specific regulations. 

The same people would be confused if nothing changed so I don't blame any confusion on the change itself .

• Haha 5

Looks like Canada is still requiring testing if your cruise is stopping in any of their ports. Seems like a waste of time (we most likely won’t even get off the ship in Victoria) but it is what it is. My tests came last week and appointment is set so I’m good to go. I do wonder though, if that changes, did I just spend $90 for nothing?

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

i floated this very concept in a rather contentious thread here on this topic a few months ago and was harshly rebuked. i still think it's correct. requiring vaccinations didn't eat into the pool of potential cruising customers because those most likely to cruise are already vaccinated. and every cruise line has the stats and the demographics on their customer base. but, in general, for all cruise lines, with the possible exception of carnival, those with a propensity to cruise are most likely already vaccinated.

I disagree. Requiring vaccinations did eat into the pool of potential customers. It's just silly to pretend it didn't. How much is the reasonable question. NCL obviously believes they lost enough business by requiring vaccines that they have eliminated them. RCL, Princess, Virgin, et al also believe that requiring vaccination ate into their pool of potential customers because they too are loosening the vaccination requirements. 

Call your travel agent and see how many people are booking NCL today. According to one of mine, the phones are ringing off the hooks. My niece/nephew and their children booked a NCL cruise today because the vaccination rule was eliminated. They are in their late 30's early 40's  and are unvaccinated and will remain unvaccinated (and are also part of the 70% of USA citizens who will never vaccinate their children.) They were perfectly fine never cruising again if the vaccination rule stayed in effect. Read this thread, you will see others of the same belief.

This isn't to say that some folks will be turned off by the elimination of Covid protocols. This is why I believe niche markets will emerge to satisfy those who only want to sail with others who are vaccinated.

But the bottom line is that the cruise lines have spoken by changing their policies and it's clear that they, too, disagree with the conclusions you have drawn. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

20% is an approximate percentage of unvaxxed in NCL's average passenger age.

My point is, removing the vaccine mandate won't move the needle to the point that you'll suddenly see >33% unvaxxed on board, but it WILL move the needle in terms of increased revenue and new bookings for NCL. Even if it's only a 10% increase, that's a LOT of new revenue.

gosh, i don't think so. respectfully, there is a flaw in your logic.

even if 20% is an accurate figure (and i don't personally think it is, since "NCL's average passenger age" likely skews older and more highly vaccinated than the public at large)... there is a big difference between those in the general population who are "NCL's average passenger age" and NCL customers who are "NCL's average passenger age."

those of that age who have actually been NCL customers are more likely to be vaxxed, based on the demographics. (and if they've cruised in the past year, we know they're vaxxed.)

those of that age who are in the general population and unvaxxed are unlikely cruisers or cruise resisters, based on the demographics... not because of any vaccine requirement, but because cruising doesn't appeal to them for some reason or other.

that's the flaw in the logic. your hypothesis assumes that many unvaxxed passengers in that demographic would have liked to cruise and were be held back by that pesky vaccine requirement. i'm saying, no, most of them are just not interested in cruising.

while it might seem like everybody in the unvaxxed population is a potential cruiser, in marketing terms, most are not. and if NCL were able to reach that subset of a subset and market to them and convince them to cruise, it's unlikely that it will add "10%" to overall revenues. it would likely be more likely to add a fraction of one per cent. still, that would be most welcome, but not a 10% increase in my estimation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I agree. Every cruise since the re-start have had cases of covid on board, not at the beginning but half-way thru and at end of cruise, and also post cruise. We, party of 4, are fully vaxxed, boostered but still contracted covid while on the Joy in March, after the mask mandate was removed. Our cases were mild but it took us 11 days to test negative (antigen).

Last cruise was last month on Star, and I heard people also contracted covid toward the end of 11 day cruise. We got lucky.

These said, can you picture this: what happens when an unvaccinated person who had previously not contracted covid, contracts covid while on the cruise? Will this person have mild symptoms or get full-blown covid (really sick) that requires hospitalization?

Here in Bermuda the population is 65K, but there still are covid deaths. There are about 25-30% unvaccinated.

So, in mho, the unvaccinated may be sailing in dangerous waters. 

Couldn’t agree more!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If a country or port has COVID rules that impose additional requirements beyond those of the cruise line, they take precedent over the cruise line's rules. , if you're stopping in Canada you have to comply with Canada's rules, including the completion of ArriveCAN.

You are correct, just stay on the ship.  I just want to get on a ship.  

4 minutes ago, glentally said:

You are correct, just stay on the ship.  I just want to get on a ship.  

It doesn't matter if you're staying on the ship. You still have to comply with Canada's requirements. You're in Canada the instant your ship enters Canada's territorial waters. Your feet don't have to touch Canadian soil.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, UKstages said:

those of that age who are in the general population and unvaxxed are unlikely cruisers or cruise resisters, based on the demographics... not because of any vaccine requirement, but because cruising doesn't appeal to them for some reason or other.

NCL has spoken thru their actions. Continuing your very flawed argument suggests you think you are smarter than the bean counters at NCL.  

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Canada Government website states "pre entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water."  I know NCLs website under Canada information, shows testing required.  And know the ArriveCan form has to be competed, although it does not ask for testing information.  So confused, of course know NCL can have own rules.   Any Canadian experts out there?  

46 minutes ago, UKstages said:

that's the flaw in the logic. your hypothesis assumes that many unvaxxed passengers in that demographic would have liked to cruise and were be held back by that pesky vaccine requirement. i'm saying, no, most of them are just not interested in cruising.

And I don't agree. It doesn't mean there's a flaw in my logic any more than in yours. And frankly, I wouldn't be so bold to say yours has flaws and I don't appreciate you saying mine does. We simply disagree.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Canada Government website states "pre entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water."  I know NCLs website under Canada information, shows testing required.  And know the ArriveCan form has to be competed, although it does not ask for testing information.  So confused, of course know NCL can have own rules.   Any Canadian experts out there?  

There are special requirements for cruise passengers:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another country

These requirements apply to cruises:

arriving in Canada from a foreign country

starting in Canada, but travelling outside Canadian waters and then returning to Canada (for example, if docking in the United States for a shore excursion)

All travellers are required to:

complete ArriveCAN no more than 72 hours of initially boarding the cruise. This includes:

any traveller who recently submitted ArriveCAN to enter Canada via land or air

Canadians embarking on an international cruise from Canada that will return to Canada

take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship

the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board

for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday

it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service

the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained

Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time

for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service

the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained

Previous positive molecular test result: you no longer have symptoms and provide proof of a positive molecular test taken at least 10 calendar days and no more than 180 calendar days before you board. Counting starts the day after your test.

for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the earliest scheduled date you could board

a positive antigen test result is never a valid test result for boarding a ship and can’t be used as proof of a previous infection

Edited by njhorseman

For those going to the Med after 3rd Sep note the following for Greece:-

For sailings September 3, 2022 and beyond:

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 12 Nothing required. Nothing required.
≥ 12 years Provide proof of one of the following:
1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test within three days of the embarkation date
2. NAAT test (i.e., PCR) within three days of embarkation date
3. COVID-19 Recovery Certificate*
Unable to cruise.
  • Itineraries that include Greece require a booster, for all individuals 18 years or older, if their original vaccine course was taken more than 270 days prior to embarkation.
  • For itineraries which require boosters, in lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery.
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate.
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e. US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e. Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.) will be accepted.
  • Guests who cannot meet the above requirements should not travel to the ship as they will be unable to board.

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

And I don't agree. It doesn't mean there's a flaw in my logic any more than in yours. And frankly, I wouldn't be so bold to say yours has flaws and I don't appreciate you saying mine does. We simply disagree.

UK and I have had this discussion numerous times over the last several months. I'm bold enough to say his logic is flawed :). 

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

UK and I have had this discussion numerous times over the last several months. I'm bold enough to say his logic is flawed :). 

Ha! Well, I'm just a visitor to the NCL board and don't want to insult anyone. I do feel like I deserve the same level of respect.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Ha! Well, I'm just a visitor to the NCL board and don't want to insult anyone. I do feel like I deserve the same level of respect.

While I disagree with the number of unvaccinated that will be sailing, I do respect you :). Hope I didn't come off as being disrespectful. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1