Paxlovid info

sofietucker

(Posted this in our roll call too)

There was a conversation on this topic but didn't see in the first few pages: Folks were saying they couldn't get paxlovid onboard after covid diagnosis. 

So heads up re: a couple of covid matters. We got our 2nd boosters today, and when the pharmacist heard about the cruise, he strongly suggested taking along some test kits AND paxlovid. He said if you're feeling flu-ish, a self test is a good place to start to determine if you want to get an official test.

Even more to the point, he said get some paxlovid to take along because many medical centers onboard (as well as overseas) may not carry it or may not have enough. He further said, you can now get it without a prescription--but it's better to get a script from your PCP anyway. Some pharmacists are reluctant to hand it out just for the asking (regardless of insurance) because they may not know your full medical history, all your potentially contraindicated meds, etc. 

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 4

My Pharmacist in WA state said I would need a prescription from my doctor for Paxlovid, even if I tested positive. Would also like to get some in advance of 16 day Hawaii Circle cruise with my wife and 80+ year old parents. Our itinerary includes 5 days at sea each way with no other option other than ship medical center.

Edited by MarinersBaseballFan
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting. I already planned to bring test kits. Packing Paxlovid, too, is a good idea, if we can get it. I took it after testing positive in April and recovered quickly. Worth asking my pharmacy or if necessary my primary care doctor for a “just in case” prescription for our two week October cruise.

When I came down with Covid late June, I asked my doctor for Paxlovid.  He didn't believe in it then.

I think it would have helped me then and I'd like to take some with us on a long cruise this Fall.

I'll ask the pharmacist but I think it is still in limited supply here in Florida.  

Isn't it in short supply everywhere?  One may need to have Covid to get Paxlovid.

Paxlovid is only recommended by physicians to people with high possibility of being admitted to hospital/iCU due to underlying conditions. It is a medication that can have serious side effects for some. Most the people who need it are those who have not been vaccinated. (Husband is MD) We got Covid on this cruise ( after being super careful…no theaters, bars, ate by selves, etc.) and used NyQuil and Tylenol…and cough drops… lots of cough drops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pfizer recommends reviewing/testing kidney function data before paxlovid is prescribed, as well as a check for compatibility with current prescriptions.  It cannot be mixed with many cardiac meds. 

The crappy side effects, including making your saliva taste rancid/sour as it activates taste buds you normally do not use, are another thing entirely. Then comes the potential rebound once treatment is completed. BTW, everyone I know that has taken paxlovid has had the rebound, including me.

• Thanks 2

Just checked with my pharmacy in Oklahoma City area.  She stated that yes it is available without a prescription, but would only dispense with a positive covid test and a kidney function test given within the last year.  She stated they do not give it without doctor's script nor did she know of any other pharmacy in the OKC area that did.  So check with your doctor to get a script.

I'm very sorry to say that I had that very conversation with my own PCP today: no upfront script, only after a positive diagnosis and in-office visit AND after tapering off several contraindicated meds... So I feel like I raised a flag that should not have been. Apologies all around, y'all.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Both my wife and I tested positive for COVID 19 on a recent HAL cruise on the Nieuw Ststendam.  We are both in our mid eighties and the ship doctor prescribed Paxlovid treatment for us,  We were charged $750 each for the 30 pill course of treatment.  My personal doctor back home actually gave us a scrip for Paxlovid before we left for the cruise but I couldn't get any of the local pharmacies to fill it because we were not positive for covid at that time.  Would have been only a $10 copay with our insurance.  HAL is strictly cash up front and then you have to try to get reimbursed somehow.  Sounds like HAL is price gouging sick clients.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scho37 said:

Both my wife and I tested positive for COVID 19 on a recent HAL cruise on the Nieuw Ststendam.  We are both in our mid eighties and the ship doctor prescribed Paxlovid treatment for us,  We were charged $750 each for the 30 pill course of treatment.  My personal doctor back home actually gave us a scrip for Paxlovid before we left for the cruise but I couldn't get any of the local pharmacies to fill it because we were not positive for covid at that time.  Would have been only a $10 copay with our insurance.  HAL is strictly cash up front and then you have to try to get reimbursed somehow.  Sounds like HAL is price gouging sick clients.

How much would you pay for Paxlovid without insurance? Your copay does not reflect its actual cost.

All cruise lines charge for medical services, and it is up to the patient to seek reimbursement from medical or travel insurance.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, scho37 said:

You should go back to that pharmacy and ask what the charge would be without insurance.  And without GoodRX or AARP discount…. EM

58 minutes ago, scho37 said:

What price gouging? You paid the going rate for the drug.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scho37 said:

Before your cruise, did you buy travel insurance? If so, you should be reimbursed less any deductible.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

What price gouging? You paid the going rate for the drug.

The going rate for uninsured individual purchasing Paxlovid from a US pharmacy is also $10.  HAL passes on the corporate rate to captive individuals on board who must purchase from the ship pharmacy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scho37 said:

The going rate for uninsured individual purchasing Paxlovid from a US pharmacy is also $10.  HAL passes on the corporate rate to captive individuals on board who must purchase from the ship pharmacy.

Remember that the ship is not a US entity. It does not benefit from any US COVID policies that affect drug pricing/availability. Its doctors are contractors. Services and drugs are priced according to different factors than you are accustomed to seeing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scho37 said:

There is no catch and hold hostage plot by HAL. 

Passengers book a cruise knowing that they are leaving the US. If they are smart, the passengers know the information easily available before booking on the website concerning medical care on board and also know the limitations of their insurance coverage.

The price paid in US land based medical facilities is the price that is heavily subsidized  by the US government. The US government pays $530 for a course of treatment. This is special price for each of the twenty million courses of treatment in the US/Pfizer agreement.

The drug is then distributed under the EUA  (Emergency Use Authorization) to pharmacies and hospitals in the US where it is distributed almost free of charge.

OP was out of the US and obtained medical treatment from a facility not subsidized by the US government.

They paid the price the drug costs from the manufacturer. Hopefully, they have insurance that pays when out of the country (Medicare does not).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, scho37 said:

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.  I hope that you're both doing well & fully recovered.

When we were going on the Zaandam in mid-August, we had our PCP do our pre-cruise tests.  I requested scrips for Paxlovid, as we both have conditions that warrant taking it.  She didn't think it would be necessary, but gave them to us anyway. We had them filled at Costco for $0 [we have Medicare].

I took a "Covid Kit" with us that included the Paxlovid, 10 tests, thermometer, pulse oximeter, dextromethorphan cough med, sore throat drops, pain meds, antihistamines, nose drops, & cough drops.

Lo and behold, we got Covid on day 9 of a 14 day cruise.  Started the Paxlovid immediately.  Yes, the metallic taste was awful, but our symptoms remained very, very minimal.  My DH is very prone to hideous chest congestion & pneumonias, and it was great that although he had a wet cough, it wasn't constant or very strong.  We completed our 5 day isolation and flew home masked in N95s.  I had a negative rapid test the next day.  DH took 14+ days to go negative.

I WON'T cruise again without a filled Rx for Paxlovid--even though I'll have travel insurance--simply because I don't think that all ships will have it on hand.  It certainly was never offered to us by Zaandam medical--and no, they didn't know that we had it or that we took it.

On our next MD visit, we'll be getting kidney function test, just in case we're away from home & would need an Rx filled out of our regular area.

10 hours ago, scho37 said:

Plaxlovid costs $530 for the course in the US. Maybe you pay $10 - that's what insurance is for. But HAL paid Pfizer at least $530 for the drugs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scho37 said:

That is how much it costs without insurance. No one is gouging.  Did you buy good quality travel health insurance?

@OHCruiserYou were very lucky to be given Paxlovid without a positive COVID test. Our doctor was not able to give us a “just in case” prescription for our cruise on 10/3.

We had COVID over 4th of July. We were prescribed Paxlovid and it made a big difference in our experience with COVID. We had an extremely mild case and we are both 76. 
Denise

• Like 1