Passport Required?

BridgeMates

Adult grandson will join us on upcoming cruise to the Caribbean from Miami and return to Miami.

I've been told it's a "closed loop" schedule and he doesn't have to get a pp.

He has applied but is now concerned it won't get here in time.

If that happens?  Will his driver's license work or perhaps a certified birth certificate?

Personally I know how important it is to have a pp in case something happens and we have to get off the ship.

But, is it possible to go without one in this situation.

Thanks all.

Yes, you can travel without a passport in this situation,  but I would be very careful about your grandson doing anything in port other than a Celebrity excursion because if something happens and the ship leaves without him and he's in another country it's going to be a huge hassle. Could be the same situation in the unlikely event he becomes ill and has to be hospitalized in another country and the ship leaves. 

• Like 1

Here is what Celebrity says and it reqiures what @cruisestitch posted:

Sea Travel (for U.S. and Canadian citizens only)

For voyages that begin and end in the same U.S. Port, U.S. citizens may travel with both a Government-issued birth certificate** and Government-issued picture ID card, such as a driver's license.

**A 'birth certificate' is issued by a government agency (state, county, city, etc.). This document (with seal and signature) is legal proof of citizenship that can be used by U.S. citizens for certain international travel. A 'birth notice' is issued by a hospital or other type of medical facility but it is not an approved travel document. It is a courtesy document that merely indicates where a birth occurred. It has no legal status and cannot be used to prove citizenship for international travel purposes.

Den

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

He had to send in a birth certificate with the passport application.  It will not come back before the passport.  Sooo…does he have another in case the passport does not arrive?

He should be able to request a replacement certified birth certificate from the Health Department where he was born.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

He should be able to request a replacement certified birth certificate from the Health Department where he was born.

This was true for me. A couple times I had to get a copy of my birth certificate and was able to do it the same day by calling my town of birth, letting them know I'd stop by to get it, then had it in my hand later that day.

Another time I wasn't in as much of a rush and was able to request it then ask them to mail it and it arrived in a couple days.