Voyager of the Seas used to Oasis class

2 hours ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hi-Booked a last minute Canada and New England cruise out of my homeport of Boston. 

We are used to the bigger, newer ships on Royal and a little worried about Voyager. 

What do you all love about Voyager? 

RCI Voyager class is more like the Freedom class than not. You should not have any worries about this ship...enjoy !!

• Like 1

Just went on Freedom class for the first time after years of almost solely Oasis class. Had been on Freedom before and Voyager class several times though.

As mentioned, it really depends what you like about and where you spend your time on Oasis class.

I missed Park Cafe and crossing the ship via Central Park. And we only use the Solarium, never the main pool, which will feel much smaller. But we knew that going in of course and had other reasons we wanted to go on Indy.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine. The promenade is still similar enough as are many other areas of the ship... theater, ice rink, MDR, WJ, etc.

EDIT: Just saw you were on Freedom in your signature. It will feel very similar to Freedom, just a bit smaller. Freedom class is really just a stretched out version of Voyager class.

Edited by OCSC Mike

Voyager class is a sweet spot for me.  Not too big so easy to get around but new enough that there are many modern features like water slides.  Royal has updated most Voyager class ships to refresh them.  Voyager did get updated before the shutdown.  

Being much smaller than Oasis class obviously they don't have the real estate to have everything that Oasis class has.  Across the fleet Oasis class are in a league of their own both literally and figuratively.  No other ships to date are as big or have everything that Oasis class offers.  The extra wide Oasis platform gives them space to do things like Central Park and the Boardwalk. 

Oasis class are newer than older Voyager class ships so naturally that means there are features that have evolved over time that won't be found on the older ships.

Keep in mind that at one time Voyager class were the largest cruise ships in the world.  They remain larger than anything that other lines like Carnival ever had before Mardi Gras launched last year.  So they aren't a small ship by any means, just not nearly as large as their bigger sisters in the Oasis class.   

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

The only thing I dislike about Voyager class...is the balcony.   Set inside, versus out from hull of ship.  Feels closed in...but that does not keep me from from sailing that class of ship...and have Voyager booked for B2B2B in January.  

Radiance class is still my favorite...though even small than Voyager.   And really excited about boarding Wonder for the first time...which will be our "home away from home" for four weeks.  🤗

In reality...the best ship...is the one I am currently on.  Oh drats..I am not on one right now!!  😞 

I love them all.  😉 

• Like 1

We've never sailed on the larger Oasis class ships, so I really can't help you compare.  All of our RCCL cruises have been on Freedom and Voyager class.  Freedom was based on Voyager, and they are pretty much the same basic ship except that Freedom is ~100ft longer.  You mostly feel the difference in the Promenade.  Voyager has fewer and smaller shops and no Vintages and or Sorrento's (though Cafe Promenade serves the same pizza).  On the pool deck, there are no cantilever hot tubs on Voyager, so they take up space in the Solarium, which feels smaller.  Other than that, and a few things being in different places, Voyager will be very familiar to you having been on Freedom.  

There are a few things about Voyager that I am not fond of, but it's not enough to keep me off that ship.  As mentioned, the Voyager balconies feel more "closed in" than on Freedom or even Navigator (also a Voyager-class ship) because they are large "ovals" cut into the hull.  Freedom's and Navigator's balconies are attached cantilevered balconies with a full opening, corner to corner.  During the "amping up" of Voyager, they removed Johnny Rocket's.  Besides the MDR, Windjammer and Cafe Promenade, the only other dining venues are Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi (but without hibachi).  There is no Playmakers, Hooked, El Loco Fresh, Sorrento's or other venues that most other ships in the Voyager/Freedom class offer.