Does Royal hold back any excursion spots for booking onboard?

Tour operators over the past year have struggled to man even the excursions they have.  Maybe they will have more space but it is really dependent on the place you are visiting.  Likely all that is available onboard will be cancellations.  And we have had four or five tours cancelled when we got onboard.  As late as June we had folks on shore telling us that the tour we were taking had only been running for a day or two (in Jamaica we were first and Chukka was having problems getting their new iPads to work).

We really wanted a certain excursion in St Marten last November but it was sold out online. We went straight to the excursion desk on boarding day, no luck. We were put on a waiting list but never got the excursion we wanted. I figured since the ship was sailing at less than half capacity we would be ok but it didn't work that way for us.

2 hours ago, Nemomof3 said:

We really wanted a certain excursion in St Marten last November but it was sold out online. We went straight to the excursion desk on boarding day, no luck. We were put on a waiting list but never got the excursion we wanted. I figured since the ship was sailing at less than half capacity we would be ok but it didn't work that way for us.

We had the same experience. In fact, one of us could book an excursion pre-cruise, but not the other. We immediately got on the waiting list for the 2nd person, to no avail.

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

The suite concierge gets first dibs on cancellations.  If you are in a full suite, let the concierge know that you are looking for spots by replying to the welcome email.

We wanted a excursion and was told it was sold out, concierge got it for us.

4 hours ago, George C said:

We wanted a excursion and was told it was sold out, concierge got it for us.

I was in the suite lounge once and the concierge got a call.  When he hung up, he asked me if I wanted to go on this certain excursion.  I declined as we had already booked something, and he explained the process.  The call was the excursion desk with a cancellation.  They always call the concierge first to see if there is anyone on a waitlist.  In this case, there was no one, so he said they'd give him a few hours in case someone wanted it, then they'd open it to others.  It did not sounds like the shore excursion desk keeps a waitlist - only the concierge.