GTY cabin assignment..when was the earliest your cabin was assigned?

54 minutes ago, Cruiser Nonna said:

Question -  when assigning do they take into consideration your level with Royal - we are Diamond Plus whether that would make any difference at all?

Nope. Not sure how that would work anyway. What makes one cabin in the same category better than another is largely personal preference.

I may want my GTY interior on a high deck, aft. Others may prefer forward on a lower deck.

7 hours ago, Cruiser Nonna said:

We have never done the XB (balcony guarantee) until now for 9/30 sailing - have not been assigned but know that it could be up to day of sailing (or as one poster said as he drove into Galveston) which is okay

Question -  when assigning do they take into consideration your level with Royal - we are Diamond Plus whether that would make any difference at all?

Thank you for all your comments and help - stay well and safe

C&A level means nothing !!

On 8/12/2022 at 12:03 AM, hal2008 said:

Advantages of GTY (other than substantial lower price):

You can do better but not worse.

Many years ago, GTY meant higher chances of getting an upgrade!!! 

in those days before sophisticated yield management, prices tended to remain stable and cruise lines will keep selling Inside cabins even when all cheap inside cabins are already booked.  So those who booked late with GTY inside, inevitable (more than 95%) got some upgrade 

key is to monitor inventory. 

We did our first last month , a jr suite or better suite guarantee.at 8 weeks before the cruise . Got assigned an OS 5 weeks out .

Argh - i think i was not the right temperament to book guaranteed as this driving me crazy.  We booked early July for September 11th. Seems like a lot of people have heard sooner but no word for us yet.  

I’m also assuming that this is holding up any ‘Royal up bid

12 minutes ago, Cat8 said:

Argh - i think i was not the right temperament to book guaranteed as this driving me crazy.  We booked early July for September 11th. Seems like a lot of people have heard sooner but no word for us yet.  

Oh, try not to let it drive you crazy.  Though you do not know your cabin number, you will be on the ship.  Though unassigned, you can still participate (and potentially win) RoyalUp.

You are not alone.  I am waiting for gty assignment (XB) 8/28 on Harmony.  Hubby and I both check regularly (in barcode) but neither of us are going crazy.  Our RoyalUp bids are in, though I don’t expect to win as odds are lower with fuller ships now.

Edited by Starry Eyes

25 minutes ago, Cat8 said:

Nope. I was waiting for my official assignment (I knew the cabin # via the bar code trick) when I won a RoyalUp last month.

32 minutes ago, Cat8 said:

Be careful about booking a guaranty and placing Royal Up bids.  We booked a suite guaranty and received an email to bid on Royal Up prior to knowing our cabin number.  We figured we would get a junior suite as that is what people typically get when booking a suite guaranty.  We placed bids on a GS and an OS.  A few weeks prior to sailing, I checked our cabin for the millionth time and we had been given a 2 bedroom grand suite!  Luckily, I was able to cancel both of our Royal Up bids as they were still accessible.  I will never bid on Royal Up on a GTY again unless I have been assigned my cabin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoyalC said:

Within several hours via barcode. B2B inside gty's, assigned same cabin each leg. Nice.

That's not the same as being officially assigned. The bar code trick usually works as soon as you check-in and have access to your set sail pass.

Regardless, congrats on getting the same cabin for a B2B. Our recent B2B GTY's weren't remotely close (not that we cared) and we ended up Royaling Up one and I moved the other anyway.

Edited by OCSC Mike

5 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Nobody finds out GTY Cabin assignments before final payment, right??

And then you look where on app?

Sure, you could find out before final payment, though perhaps rare.

Click on the person Icon in your booking.

6 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's not the same as being officially assigned. The bar code trick usually works as soon as you check-in and have access to your set sail pass.

Regardless, congrats on getting the same cabin for a B2B. Our recent B2B GTY's weren't remotely close (not that we cared) and we ended up Royaling Up one and I moved the other anyway.

I booked a few weeks ago for a sailing in three weeks from now so I did indeed check in after I purchased the cruise and then found out via barcode.

3 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

I booked a few weeks ago for a sailing in three weeks from now so I did indeed check in after I purchased the cruise and then found out via barcode.

Finding out via the bar code is not the same as being officially assigned. When you are officially assigned, your set sail pass will show your cabin #, not "GTY", and you don't need to use the bar code trick.

There are differences. In rare instances, your cabin can change from what the bar code initially shows. Also, you cannot change your cabin until it is officially assigned.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Sure, you could find out before final payment, though perhaps rare.

Click on the person Icon in your booking.

Where is the person icon? Can't find it. I am past final payment but before check-in on Panama Canal cruise.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, Ashland said:

It can vary. So what someone else experienced really has no bearing on the time frame associated with your particular sailing. Best of luck getting a cabin that works for you.

Everything, always has bearing.  Unless it's the only 1 of it's kind to every happen.  Statistics are better then experts.  Thanks for your non-input. 

6 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Where is the person icon? Can't find it. I am past final payment but before check-in on Panama Canal cruise.

When the app first pulls up, the 3 symbols in the center top.  The 1 on the right is a upper torso siloette. Click that.  It's the same info on the website when you log in.  Mostly.

1 hour ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Ok, stupid question I think but ......Nobody finds out GTY Cabin assignments before final payment, right??

And then you look where on app?

Haven't done Royal Caribbean since 2004.

As I said earlier, my room was assigned a week after booking and I do nor sail until April next year, final payment not yet made either.

Edited by gavvy

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Instead of complicating things with the app, just stick to the browser for now - click on "View more details" on your booking.

Did look there but but cruise docs are not available at this time. Sept 4 is check-in day.

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

We got our room number with the bar code trick 1 - 1.5 weeks before our check-in opened.  I can't say whether this is typical or not.  

4 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Ok, stupid question I think but ......Nobody finds out GTY Cabin assignments before final payment, right??

Dunno.  We booked pretty late, and we paid in full at booking.  

By the way, I love your name!  We, too, are Not Paying Extra for this upcoming cruise.  We've just retired (young), and we're going as cheaply as possible -- Inside Guarantee, no specialty dining, etc.  We're early retirees, so our money has to last a pretty long time, and we're trying to gauge how little we need to make us happy on a cruise.  If we're happy with the Inside, we'll be able to cruise more often.  

• Like 1

We booked a 4 day on Navigator out of LA for late Jan '23. We made the initial booking in late May this year for a Guarantee Balcony. We had a room assigned by the end of June, and not a bad location. 

YMMV..

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We got our room number with the bar code trick 1 - 1.5 weeks before our check-in opened.  I can't say whether this is typical or not.  

Dunno.  We booked pretty late, and we paid in full at booking.  

I wonder there is a miscommunication here.  The barcode I use is on the set sail pass; one obtains the set sail pass when one completes on-line check-in (which typically opens 45 days before the cruise).

Where did you find a barcode to use for the barcode trick 1-1.5 weeks before online checkin opened?

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I wonder there is a miscommunication here.  The barcode I use is on the set sail pass; one obtains the set sail pass when one completes on-line check-in (which typically opens 45 days before the cruise).

Where did you find a barcode to use for the barcode trick 1-1.5 weeks before online checkin opened?

I was going to ask the same thing.

• Like 1