GTY cabin assignment..when was the earliest your cabin was assigned?

43 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

Booked a somewhat last minute cruise (October) to Canada/NE on Voyager.

Decided to book a GTY cabin. I understand that cabin assignment could come early or the day of departure, or anywhere in between.

When was the earliest you were ever assigned a cabin?

Not sure of the earliest my "official" assignment was ever given (it was never very late but that is possible) but you can usually find out your cabin as soon as you check in and have your set sail pass in the app using the "bar code trick."

Add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet (if an Apple user) and numbers will appear under the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash represent your cabin. If not an Apple user, scan the bar code to get the same set of numbers.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

The bar code trick only works after check in at the 45 day mark. 

It really depends on the ship, capacity and category balance.  And I am sure other factors like maybe rank, type of room and back side stuff royal has.  I am booked on a 10-1 cruise in a gty and although I don't have a room yet, others do and some of those booked after me.  1 person on my cruise has 6 rooms all booked at the same time all gty and yesterday 2 of the 6 got assignments. 

I check a few times a day and will be checking bar code at 45 only to still not be able to board until 10-1.  The nerve of rcl.  I should be allowed on now. 

11 minutes ago, adam7392 said:

Booked this Feb inside gty for Rhapsody in Aug 2023, was assigned a cabin in March - so some 17 months before.  Wasn't happy with location so called TA and was able to change to a much better location'

Wasn't thrilled with ours, but decided to try something new and see how Deck 2 was.  Turns out that they needed that room for Covid protocol and moved me to a spacious balcony on Deck 7.   Patience paid off this time.  But I doubt we'll  do GTY again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Wasn't thrilled with ours, but decided to try something new and see how Deck 2 was.  Turns out that they needed that room for Covid protocol and moved me to a spacious balcony on Deck 7.   Patience paid off this time.  But I doubt we'll  do GTY again.

Were you aware you can ask to be moved to any cabin in the same category as long as there is availability? I moved a GTY last month that I was perfectly content with just b/c there was a cabin available in a spot I liked even better.

Last week i booked a cruise on the Symphony for Sep 24th.  3 days after booking by GTY balcony, I was assigned a cabin.  I was very surprised it was so quickly

Edited by jwfw

37 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Probably why I said "after you check in."

But probably y I added the time frame to my comment.  Ty for making sure you were clear and to comment on my comment.  You are supreme

29 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Were you aware you can ask to be moved to any cabin in the same category as long as there is availability? I moved a GTY last month that I was perfectly content with just b/c there was a cabin available in a spot I liked even better.

Were you aware that people booking from other countries may not be able to swap like those of us in North America?  Be careful about posting generalizations.  Others may call, make the same request only to be told they can only swap if they pay a substantial up charge.  Remember to be grateful not only that a better cabin was available but also for the  kind booking rules that allowed you to switch.

44 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not always  the case

9 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Were you aware that people booking from other countries may not be able to swap like those of us in North America?  Be careful about posting generalizations.  Others may call, make the same request only to be told they can only swap if they pay a substantial up charge.  Remember to be grateful not only that a better cabin was available but also for the  kind booking rules that allowed you to switch.

Yes, I was aware, thank you. I was also pretty sure the poster I was talking to is from the US, however.

• Like 1

Advantages of GTY (other than substantial lower price):

You can do better but not worse.

Many years ago, GTY meant higher chances of getting an upgrade!!! 

in those days before sophisticated yield management, prices tended to remain stable and cruise lines will keep selling Inside cabins even when all cheap inside cabins are already booked.  So those who booked late with GTY inside, inevitable (more than 95%) got some upgrade 

key is to monitor inventory. 

We were once assigned our guarantee cabins within 20 minutes of booking.  We booked two ocean views and only two were showing up under the higher priced pick our own cabin category.  Sure enough, we got those two which were beside each other.  That was a rare guarantee win for us. 

Booked this July for next April WOS. Cabin number appears in my booking online within a week. Thought it v odd as assume gty were assigned the leftovers in the weeks before sailing.

This was a balcony gty and I got a park view deck 10.

2 hours ago, captainwally said:

B

Still waiting on assignment. Booked August 7th for Sept 25th sailing. Checked in 45 days out and bar code still shows GTY. Just got Royal Up email but no cabins we want to bid on. I'll post when we get assignment. 

Same here.  We have two separate inside cabins so we tried the bar code scan, it came back with cabin numbers that made sense with the muster station assignments.  On the same deck but one is in the very front and the other in the very back...  I think we'll bid on one.

• Like 1

We have never done the XB (balcony guarantee) until now for 9/30 sailing - have not been assigned but know that it could be up to day of sailing (or as one poster said as he drove into Galveston) which is okay

Question -  when assigning do they take into consideration your level with Royal - we are Diamond Plus whether that would make any difference at all?

Thank you for all your comments and help - stay well and safe