The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 12th, 2022

richwmn

50 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning again.  The smoker is ready to put the ribs in in a few hours.  I wanted to get it set up while it was still cool outside.

This is what I posted on March 12, 2021, a very good day since March 12 is my birthday.

We have been to Edinburgh five times all on the Prinsendam, so we docked at Rosyth.  The first time in  2011, we took a morning tour to Edinburgh and the castle, followed by an afternoon tour to St. Andrews.  In 2016, we were late docking due to tidal conditions, and our tour to the Falkirk Wheel was cancelled, so we took the train into town.  In 2017, we did several b2bs, so we were in Rosyth and Edinburgh three times. 

The first time, we made it to the Falkirk Wheel, but the tour was nearly cancelled.  The guides for the two buses had to cancel and there were no replacements.  We were given the option of getting off the bus and getting our money back, or doing the tour anyway.  The two drivers went out of their way to make it a memorable tour even without out any commentary.  The wheel provided a guide for the boat ride.  The bus drivers even made a unscheduled stop at the statues of the Kelpies, mythical sea creatures that steal children.  As usual, there was one grump who complained about the lack of commentary on the bus.

A view of the stands being erected at the Castle for the Tattoo.  The stands are vey steep and tall, and since I do not like heights, I'm not sure I will attend the Tattoo because with my luck I'd be on the top row and miserable.

DSC06235.thumb.JPG.58e863cd2e83b4c35cddab32dcd261fe.JPG

When we left the Castle in 2011, we had to wait for our bus until a parade of veterans assembled and marched by, followed by a band, and pipers.  It was worth the wait to see how proud they were.

P1030412.thumb.JPG.adf5f26a5cf40abea7dd6ca0b5b9ef9e.JPG

The Kelpies.

DSC08893.thumb.JPG.ffb1f163f07fc347da2102bbd18fd961.JPG

We visited the Britannia, but I will only show one picture of the sitting room.

DSC00033.thumb.JPG.4d5e7c088f2fcf5c6c3fc0db8c646dea.JPG

The last time we did the combination of the city bus and the Ho-Ho, since I wanted to go to the statue of Greyfriars's Bobby.  Here is the statue and his grave in Greyfriars's Cemetery.

DSC00265.thumb.JPG.fb42bed2dc3d7462191d86702f89ddc0.JPG

DSC00257.thumb.JPG.14601177509902a985d4574e28559316.JPG

Finally, a couple of pictures from the town.  The first was taken in 2016 during the Fringe and the Tattoo.   You could hardly walk down the streets.

DSC06244.thumb.JPG.3ad08846230562ab32856a79122f3b23.JPG
DSC00273.thumb.JPG.2ed18ecb7cfe0da68b11455e4484c27e.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Sadly....a serious post....

Jacqui @kazu.....is crushingly devastated...

Her rescue dog, Shadow, is seriously disabled due to surviving a previous (non-disclosed) distemper that caused nerve damage affecting her back legs.

Jacqui is often struggling to physically lift and carry her.  She is in the painful process of trying to find a special needs/disabled rescue.

Please keep her in your prayers.....

This is just heartbreaking 💔.  Shame on whomever did not disclose all the facts.

Hugs 🤗 to @kazu and hoping you find someone to rescue Shadow soon.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

Unfortunately it's usually too cloudy here to see the meteor showers, plus light pollution. I drank Kool-Aid as a kid. I still have some vinyl records and a turntable. True quote.

I'll pass on the meal (fish). Yes to the drink and wine (if someone buys it for me).

I haven't been to South Queensferry. Thanks for the photos.

A gorgeous day here! Mid-70's, sunny and low humidity. I'll get out and do trimming of the bushes I think. I hear helicopters and sirens, so the next 2 beams are being delivered for the bridge. I didn't go out to watch today. 

@kazu Thinking of you at this difficult time with Shadow. Prayers.

@richwmn HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 

@grapau27 Enjoy your time in the Lake District.

@mamaofami Hugs to your family on this sad day.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels back to Cincinnati. 

Prayers for the Care List and a salute to the Celebration List.

Take care everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I had to get my yardwork done early this morning. Other than our 1 time per week when we can use our sprinklers, I hand water the yard where it's really dry. Our home backs into a natural scape and it is dry, dry, dry out there..

There are lots of friends I could call at 4am if needed. When we moved to Texas we gave all of our vinyl records away. Kool aid? 

I lost the majority of our England and Scotland pictures. My fault for not paying attention when I got the reminder my Google pictures folder was full.. but here's a picture after the Tattoo. 

0823181841a.thumb.jpg.8ad74ac1a63cdb670f5f9b2df733b44b.jpg

Lifting prayers to all our friends on Roy's care list. Cheers and blessings to y'all today. 

Lovely happy photo of you all.

Graham 

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Sadly....a serious post....

Jacqui @kazu.....is crushingly devastated...

Her rescue dog, Shadow, is seriously disabled due to surviving a previous (non-disclosed) distemper that caused nerve damage affecting her back legs.

Jacqui is often struggling to physically lift and carry her.  She is in the painful process of trying to find a special needs/disabled rescue.

Please keep her in your prayers.....

Oh no that is very disappointing news for Jacqui and Shadow.

Shadow looked so well in Jacqui's photos.

My late mam and dad once got a dog from a rescue and after they took it for its vaccinations they were told it had Parvo.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

My heart goes out to Jacqui @kazu and to Shadow.  Poor Shadow, after a life on the mean streets, she deserves better than this.

Jacqui, has been through so much in the past eight months, she also does not deserve to have to go through this additional emotional pain and turmoil.  Sending virtual hugs and support to Jacqui.

For both their sakes, I hope Jacqui can find a good, loving special needs/disabled rescue for Shadow.

Finally, shame on the original rescue group for not disclosing the problem or not finding a special needs place for Shadow.

Lenda

+1

Lenda has summed up everything about this tragic situation that can possibly be said.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, all! It’s been years since I’ve had Kool Aid, although as kids we lived on it all summer. DH and I are planning to spend the window between sunset and moonrise watching the meteor shower. We have zero gravity chairs in the yard that are perfect for it.

After two years of trying, I think I’ve finally found a way to get good botanical prints from ferns! It’s on chiffon, so it doesn’t photograph well, but I’ll try the technique on something more substantial and see how it goes!

@richwmn Happy Birthday Rich! May the coming year be everything you could hope for. With a GWV in it, how could it not? @mamaofami thinking of you on this difficult day and sad anniversary. My heart is breaking for @kazu Jacqui. This is too much. It is just too, too much.

@dfish thanks for the recipe. I love sushi, but DH does NOT like seafood. I wonder how thinly sliced rare beef or maybe smoked brisket would work?

Happy Friday, everyone! I do envy those spending their weekend on a BHB, though!

• Like 22

We made it to Amsterdam and all luggage arrived except one. Forty five minutes later the bag came out on the carousel! Phew!

We did a walking tour today amounting to 15,000 steps and we are fatigued to say the least. It is currently 89 degrees F and the high was 91 so far! The locals are roasting and they even cancelled our Canal boat ride because it is to hot!

Tomorrow we head to Delft and Hague after getting a Covid test. Found a place that comes to our hotel and performs test. Sunday we go over to Rotterdam to board the MS Rotterdam!🤞🙏

Here are some more pics from Scotland mainly of the blooming Heather.

image.thumb.jpeg.851e4b72a6754c31693e9cffaa754f87.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e2a966876ede6919e1e5745cc385562.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9283e80daee2a6a8d7f1f86e89c2c5f6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.86011c02acee439a13a54d8e9e114924.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

We isolated for a week after we got home, then tested ourselves and as we were negative, we are back in the world, and have been so busy - I skim the Daily and most days don't even get that, DH is nagging me to get out and about!  He has had his laser eye surgery (cleanup after his cataract removals) and today we are bottling wine.  Pat is at exercise, so I have a few minutes.  

Rich, Happy Birthday!    And thank you for our Daily news which keeps us all together!

@mamaofami, sorry to hear about your friend, and your DDIL.

So sad about Shadow for Jacqui, she seemed to be coming along so well.  I'm sure Jacqui must have noticed Shadow's difficulties and looked into her background.  Hope she can find a good place for Shadow.

@smitty34877, I hope Tana is feeling better.  She has had such an awful time.  I hadn't followed along for a bit, had she been on Paxlovid and that caused the Covid to come back?   I was talking to our PCC yesterday and she said she and her DH both had Covid, she had taken the Paxlovid for the proper length of time and hoped she would not have a reoccurrence, and I didn't twig at the time that there might be a connection?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Jacqui, @kazu, so sorry about shadow. 

Rich @richwmn, Happy Birthday. 

We got to go out kayaking last night to watch the Sturgeon supermoon but the clouds came in. It was still nice to get out on the peaceful river with friends and family. 

FKHO0282.JPG

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We isolated for a week after we got home, then tested ourselves and as we were negative, we are back in the world, and have been so busy - I skim the Daily and most days don't even get that, DH is nagging me to get out and about!  He has had his laser eye surgery (cleanup after his cataract removals) and today we are bottling wine.  Pat is at exercise, so I have a few minutes.  

Rich, Happy Birthday!    And thank you for our Daily news which keeps us all together!

@mamaofami, sorry to hear about your friend, and your DDIL.

So sad about Shadow for Jacqui, she seemed to be coming along so well.  I'm sure Jacqui must have noticed Shadow's difficulties and looked into her background.  Hope she can find a good place for Shadow.

@smitty34877, I hope Tana is feeling better.  She has had such an awful time.  I hadn't followed along for a bit, had she been on Paxlovid and that caused the Covid to come back?   I was talking to our PCC yesterday and she said she and her DH both had Covid, she had taken the Paxlovid for the proper length of time and hoped she would not have a reoccurrence, and I didn't twig at the time that there might be a connection?

Yes,the Docs have told us that there is a possibility  of rebound.So far DH and I are  ok because we took it as well.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Greetings to all,

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Don’t think I will watch the Meteor shower, don’t drink Kool Aid.  However we have a collection of Vinyl Records.  We have a turntable that converts the Vinyl records to CDs and are in the process of doing just that.  The CDs take a lot less room than the vinyls and the digitized versions sound better.

I like the quote, but don’t think I would wake anyone at 4 am unless it was really an emergency.

Pass on the meal and drink and the wine is a bit above our budget.

We have not been to the destination.  However, the photos are great and happy to see them.

Thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration List

@mamaofamiCondolences on the passing of your friend and remembrance of the other friend.

@kazuI am so sorry to hear of your troubles with Shadow.  Hopefully you can find the right home for her.

@smitty34877Here’s hoping that Tana is doing better.  Prayers for her and all of you.

Today I FINALLY TOOK MY LAST PREDNISONE MEDICATION.  I am officially off this medication and i could not be happier.  I hope and pray that this condition does not return and cause me to have to again take this medication and go through the pain again.

I can finally start to exercise and also get my 4th Covid vaccination.

I hope everyone has a great day.  

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Oh my, my heart just sank when I read @Rowsby's post.  I thought maybe things had started to brighten up in @kazu's world with the addition of Shadow.  I can only hope there is a disabled rescue service that can take her in.  

My worries pale by comparison - our lovely salmon dinner  with friends that we had  planned for tonight had to be canceled.  DH has tested positive for Covid.  Crap.

Prayers to all who need them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 17

Good morning all!

And a very Happy Birthday to Rich @richwmn!  Ann @cat shepardbeat me to it (darn Pacific time zone lol)

I'll try to quickly get a post done, we're just getting going here this morning after a very tiring afternoon and late night with the DGSs yesterday.  I need to get the waffles started and then it's a (hopefully quiet) hang at Nana and Pa's day before taking them home tonight.

I love meteor showers, never cared for Kool-Aid even as a child, and like everyone, have had lots of vinyl records.  DH inherited his brother's large collection (he worked in a record shop in the 80's).

The quote is good, and although I hope I'm that friend you could call at 4 am,  I turn my phone off when I go to bed (too many wrong numbers/spam/etc. etc. calls from people who don't care that I'm 3 hours earlier than they are) you wouldn't be able to reach me. 😞  

Will pass on the meal, wine and drink.  We were in Edinburgh on the VOV in 2018.  We were only able to see the exterior of the castle that day because there were several festivals going on and the lines were hours long.

Sue @Rowsbythank you for the update on Jacqui @kazuand Shadow --- heartbreaking and devastating that it is.  My heart breaks for Jacqui, so, so sad!!

Some photos from our day in Edinburgh.

Street performers

1194566369_streetperformers.thumb.jpg.2bc051d17d6ac8dac599dfd3609f3fba.jpg

Home of Robert Louis Sevenson

503255471_HomeofRLS.thumb.jpg.d3278ab2e87730a881cc88c67efdfce3.jpg

Some exterior shots at the castle.  Some day I'd like to get inside!

exterior.thumb.jpg.4c58acae6abc2f674cde6566df10ab1b.jpg

1219750263_Edinburghcastle2.thumb.jpg.747f3f90e2c2409af06b348e06e3ddac.jpg

1285982526_clocktower.thumb.jpg.60bf1fdb5f281aa1215bc20cb9a61d70.jpg

2067529567_cannonatcastle.thumb.jpg.4337a48eeab6cf6e9141ddeffbb385b9.jpg

2069826077_castlefromfreeway.thumb.jpg.e7e275a5a71208c1c2e9414f37bb23f4.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Oh my, so much sadness in our group.  I am stunned at the news about Shadow, and disgusted at the thought that anyone could withhold this information.  So cruel to every soul involved.

In the face of all that ---

I appreciate being mentioned on the celebrations list, and welcomed home.  We had a wonderful visit, and were so relaxed.  The descriptor that kept coming to my mind was "healing" although we are fortunate not to have any obvious troubles needing healing.  Anyhow, a wonderful time.  Except for an unexpected 9 hour delay at Dallas Love Wednesday night.  There were storms, and much-needed rain.  It was after 3:00 a.m. on Thursday when we finally got in our front door, but we and all luggage arrived safely.  Travel is sometimes difficult, but always worth it.

Good wishes to @richwmn on your birthday - looking forward to meeting you and other Dailyites in about 2 months.  Hooray for everyone who is celebrating.  Heartfelt healing wishes for those with illness, grief, and troubles.

My best, as always ~~

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Feel Good Article of the Day.

I am the guy who actually subscribes to a newspaper.  I've done so for the last 40-something years.  These days I pick up the paper from my driveway every morning and read it at the bagel shop.  I have a certain routine in my read, but the only thing that I never ever miss is the comics page.

This article appeared in today's edition and I just loved it.  While I characterized it as a "feel good" article it is not a story about somebody overcoming some tragedy and moving on with their life.  It is about a self-described "lifelong professional grammar nerd" who decided to set up a folding table in a local park and hung up a hand-written sign that this was "a pop-up grammar-advice stand."  

She was amazed at the response she received and, subsequently, mover her "Grammar Table" around to different cities.  What she found is that people could disagree civilly.  

Imagine that.

Additionally, I did learn some interesting tidbits:

• The Oxford comma is the comma before the “and” in a list
  • The correct spelling of “poopyhead”

If one ignores the political implications of the headline and a couple other references, I think you can see hope for humanity.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-08-12/grammar-fight

Of course I regain that hope every day when I visit the "Daily."  Thank you for being and isle of hope for me,

I have to also add that Dailyites consistently use excellent grammar in their posts.  Sadly, that is quite unusual for an internet board.  Well done, folks.

Also, I am very OK with correction of any grammatical errors in this or any of my posts.  😁

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Rowsby said:
Over three months ago....I finally broke down and bought a smartphone....a Pixel 6 Pro....

Yesterday....I had to watch a youtube video on how to turn it off.....!!

There really should be classes for old dotty seniors....:)

Wow, and I thought I was the last dinosaur. Got my first smart phone 8 months ago. I was using a dumb phone with rotary dial 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 13