Tendering...personal weight limitation

Wink87

DH is 320 lbs. Skagway is now a tender situation due to rock slide at the normal dock. In looking at tendering, there is a mention of weight limitation but no #. Will tendering work for him?

2 hours ago, Wink87 said:

DH is 320 lbs. Skagway is now a tender situation due to rock slide at the normal dock. In looking at tendering, there is a mention of weight limitation but no #. Will tendering work for him?

These are the same tenders used in the case of an emergency. If there is a weight limit, they shouldn’t even let the person on the ship if he can’t get on the tender in the case of emergency.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Where do you see a mention of weight limitation?  It's a tender---not a kayak.  Same thing as a lifeboat.  No restriction.

Maybe the tender is also used for zip lining. 

• Haha 4

My reaction is the same--that the ship's own tenders are used as lifeboats and should be free of such a weight limitation.  Perhaps the weight limitation was with one of the commercial tenders at the port or it may be an issue with the gangplank used for the tenders.  Just a thought.

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

My reaction is the same--that the ship's own tenders are used as lifeboats and should be free of such a weight limitation.  Perhaps the weight limitation was with one of the commercial tenders at the port or it may be an issue with the gangplank used for the tenders.  Just a thought.

Ty for not giving me a snarky response. I read somewhere on the Celebrity website about weight limitations on tenders. I appreciate this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Ty.

2 hours ago, Kennedysa said:

My hubby also up in the 320 plus range.  Have been cruising for 22 years and his weight has never been an issue when tendering required at a port. Enjoy your cruise.

I appreciate this.

I’m not in the 320 range, but am still a big boy, have seen people who would be way over 320 on tenders no worries, height is more of an issue over about 6’4 and there is a lot of head ducking required.

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The same issue comes up with wheelchairs.

Actually the combination of weight limit and wheelchairs is an issue.

Many ships allow only foldable chairs up to a certain weight (100?) in tenders.

Only few ships have lifts for wheelchairs. These also come with a, albeit higher, weight limit.

7 hours ago, Wink87 said:

Ty for not giving me a snarky response. I read somewhere on the Celebrity website about weight limitations on tenders. I appreciate this.

If you ever remember where you read this on the site it could be useful to the next person.  But I suppose even if it’s on a website it may not be enforced.  I hope you both have a good cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wink87 said:

If you are a Celebrity cruise (this is the Celebrity board so I am making an assumption),  your ship may be using another pier for the port call.  There are two other docks, Broadway and ore terminal, that are still in use in Skagway and not closed.

The Millennium used the ore terminal dock on our cruise earlier this summer.

15 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

These are the same tenders used in the case of an emergency. If there is a weight limit, they shouldn’t even let the person on the ship if he can’t get on the tender in the case of emergency.

Not all tender ports use ship’s lifeboats, and not all are under Celebrity’s control. I suppose it’s possible that some port has a weight limit, but I’ve never heard of it.

What is true, though, is that some shore excursions have weight limits, so you do need to look out for that.

I have never heard of a weight limit on a tender and never had issues with a couple family members in the same weight range.  Some shore excursions, yes, but never a tender.  As Mark_K says however, maybe if they are using a non-Celebrity ship for tender there could be a weight limit.  I suspect as Skagway has never been a tender port before, they might be being creative in using local boats to get people ashore.  I guess it's possible there could be a weight limit because of this, but I really doubt it.  Hope it works out for you.  

12 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I suspect as Skagway has never been a tender port before, they might be being creative in using local boats to get people ashore. 

Solstice used her own boats last week---and, they drop passengers off much closer to town than the long walk from the south Railroad Dock.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 1

They usually count the number of passengers when loading the tender. I guess if there was someone extremely large they may just count them as two people. But it would be absurd to tell someone that they are too heavy for a boat that is carrying that many people!

As someone said, there are some weight limit for excursions but I would say that that is because the boat is much smaller.

12 hours ago, islabahia said:

Seriously?  What an unfunny snarky comment.

I completely agree with your reply!! It's amazing how many threads I've read lately with not only "unfunny snarky comments" but also outright insensitive and insulting!!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

I completely agree with your reply!! It's amazing how many threads I've read lately with not only "unfunny snarky comments" but also outright insensitive and insulting!!  

Unfortunately nothing “lately” about it, and there are a couple of posters who seem to follow each other around and pile on as a team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:23 PM, grandgeezer said:

Thanks for your judgyiness while not answering the OPs question. Very helpful. 

• Like 1