Cancellation rules for non refundable deposit rates

asalligo

Good morning, can someone verify this policy for me? If I book a nonrefundable deposit and cancel before the 90 day final payment. Do I get that deposit back as Carnival future cruise credit minus $50? 

Offer is valid with a qualifying VIFP number. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Onboard Credit is provided as a non-refundable and non-transferable credit to your Sail & Sign account up to $25 per room for 2-5 day sailings and up to $50 per room for 6+ day sailings and may not be applied to cruise fare or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses which are additional for each guest and varies based on itinerary. Guest may select the room but category exclusions apply. Free upgrade is assigned at the time of booking and is based on availability in like to like categories only (interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view and balcony to balcony). Free room location upgrade is not available on upper/lower, obstructed, and cove categories. 50% per person reduced deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date and is valid for all ships, stateroom types and sail dates. Deposit is non-refundable. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Early Saver fare is backed by a unique price protection policy and does not apply to group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. No name changes are allowed. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit (FCC) in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. FCC issued in USD and must be used to book a new cruise within 12 months of cancel date. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia. Offer is applicable on sailings where Early Saver is available through April 2024. Offer is applicable on new bookings only and guests have up to 6 weeks to book. To submit a Price Protection claim, visit https://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/price-protection.aspx. Requests will be accepted up to two business days prior to sailing. Rate Code OEZ.

Since you posted the terms of your fare type, I'm assuming that you read them?  They normally mean what they say.

Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit (FCC) in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. FCC issued in USD and must be used to book a new cruise within 12 months of cancel date.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Related - Can someone enlighten me on "why?" the cruise lines have so many non-refundable deposit fares?  I wish, as a past cruiser, especially, that CCL would give me some discounts with refundable deposits.

its a money maker for carnival with the fees and penalties when you cancel a non refundable fare. this is why a refundable deposit is soo much more money

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Related - Can someone enlighten me on "why?" the cruise lines have so many non-refundable deposit fares?  I wish, as a past cruiser, especially, that CCL would give me some discounts with refundable deposits.

Carnival is seriously on its last leg and non refundable deposits are helping limit those losses. I hope that the vaccination requirement ending means an upturn for them and the ability to stop offering steep discounts for cruises. I know we love those discounts, but Carnival has been hemorrhaging money for the last two quarters. Capacity for Q1 was 64% by the way, no matter what it looked like to cruisers. Half the people on those sailing at 64% capacity were paying near zero to be there due to deals. And before someone says Carnival is doing fine. 

Motley fool, August 3rd, 

Carnival's $1 billion capital infusion may not be enough if the company cannot stem its losses. In its second quarter of this fiscal year, Carnival lost $1.8 billion. That was better than the $2.8 billion it lost in the third quarter of fiscal 2021, when it resumed sailing -- but, again, the company doesn't expect occupancy levels to return to normal until 2023.

Edited by asalligo
  • Haha 1

When you put a deposit down on a cabin, you are making it unavailable for Carnival to sell it to anyone else, sometimes for a year or more. If you cancel, Carnival has a much shorter time to resell it, and often, at a lower price than what you agreed to. A small cancelation fee sounds reasonable to me. 

If Carnival canceled your cruise, you would expect some compensation. Why shouldn't it work both ways? 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

It's very common in the travel industry - not just with cruises or Carnival. If you want flexibility to cancel or make changes, you pay more. If you are sure you're going, or are OK with penalties, then you can pay less for your booking.

It’s to discourage the many people who make deposits on several cruises for the same time frame, and at final payment deciding which one to take.  Thus, as mentioned above, tying up those cabins from others.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Carnival is seriously on its last leg and non refundable deposits are helping limit those losses. I hope that the vaccination requirement ending means an upturn for them and the ability to stop offering steep discounts for cruises. I know we love those discounts, but Carnival has been hemorrhaging money for the last two quarters. Capacity for Q1 was 64% by the way, no matter what it looked like to cruisers. Half the people on those sailing at 64% capacity were paying near zero to be there due to deals. And before someone says Carnival is doing fine. 

Motley fool, August 3rd, 

Carnival's $1 billion capital infusion may not be enough if the company cannot stem its losses. In its second quarter of this fiscal year, Carnival lost $1.8 billion. That was better than the $2.8 billion it lost in the third quarter of fiscal 2021, when it resumed sailing -- but, again, the company doesn't expect occupancy levels to return to normal until 2023.

The non-refundable deposit has been around for years and years, it has nothing to do with the last 2 years and Carnival's current financial situation.  It is more to do with business practice in general.

If they didn't charge this even MORE people would book cruises and just cancel willy-nilly at the last minute since it doesn't impact them at all.  It is meant to be a deterrent and help keep Carnival from having to deal with last minute unoccupied rooms - which really does hurt their bottom line.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

It’s to discourage the many people who make deposits on several cruises for the same time frame, and at final payment deciding which one to take.  Thus, as mentioned above, tying up those cabins from others.  EM

To expand on the above post I have attached a link to another post I recently made which discusses "fare Churning" and the way it has impacted booking a cruise over the years.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1