What I don’t understand about Celebrity & surge protection

cruisestitch

This was my experience.

I am not a long time cruiser, I think we have had 8 cruises, all on X.

Ever since 1st cruise I have taken a 3 way adapter, plain 3 way adapter.

I didn't get bags same time wife got hers, cabin attendant told me to go to the naughty room.

Sure nuff, security pointed out my 3 way and confiscated it.

WHAT ???

But, they did not mention my 5 way USB hub, lol 🤣

26 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

The only reason I can see for an extension cord is to plug in a CPAP unit since a lot of the ships don't have an outlet by the bed.  In that case, Celebrity will gladly provide it via a Special Needs request.  

The need for additional outlets seems to have grown as electronic devices became common.  My wife and I will bring 2 phones, 2 tablets, a Kindle and the aforementioned CPAP. In the past,we have also had a video camera or digital camera. And, the number of people who also travel with one or two laptops seems to be growing.  There are times when outlets are at a premium. 

The problem is there isn't an unlimited amount of extension cords and they are first come first serve; delayed flight or a major unexpected traffic delay.  X provides them by request and doesn't ask if it's medical related or not.  This has been debated and discussed many times but the reality is if you bring your own cord, many including myself have always been able to get them on board.  If they take them then you get it back at the end of the cruise.

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

This was my experience.

I am not a long time cruiser, I think we have had 8 cruises, all on X.

Ever since 1st cruise I have taken a 3 way adapter, plain 3 way adapter.

I didn't get bags same time wife got hers, cabin attendant told me to go to the naughty room.

Sure nuff, security pointed out my 3 way and confiscated it.

WHAT ???

But, they did not mention my 5 way USB hub, lol 🤣

The confiscated one of THESE things???  That's silly...

3-wqy.jpg.4e63adea6b7e6e456b8b84d4fdc023a3.jpg

Trying to figure out what sort of outlets/charging ports would be available on our first cruise is literally how I stumbled upon this site. I hope the following helps others wondering this same thing...

We recently finished a cruise aboard Silhouette and carried aboard -- with zero problems and no trips to the naughty room -- this 6-outlet charger from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJXVHVK It worked great, I recommend it and I get absolutely nothing if you buy it, too.

In our room, there was a single U.S. outlet and a single Euro outlet (top part of attached photo). These were semi-inconveniently located beneath the desk/counter running underneath our TV. The 3-foot cord from the USB charger I bought easily reached underneath, however, and enabled us to charge two iPhones, two iPads and my wife's Apple Watch at the same time using just the U.S. outlet.

On one side of our bed, the nightstand lamp-base had two USB ports built-in (middle of image). These are the most common type, often called "duck mouth" because of their appearance. I believe these only appear on updated "Revolutionized" ships, but I'm sure somebody here will correct me if that's not the case.

Finally, in our bathroom, there was a combo U.S./Euro outlet (bottom section of photo). This accepts only one plug format at a time, and will not accept a 3-prong (grounded) U.S. plug. Also, the bathroom outlet can't handle the "heavy stuff," such as my wife's curling iron, hair straightener or hair dryer. For those, she unplugged the charger from the U.S. outlet in the top part of the photo and used them one at a time.

The outlets/ports shown in the photo were literally everything available in our stateroom.

Again, I hope this helps!

cjr

CRUISE_OUTLETS.jpg

On 9/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

Thanks.  I haven't laughed so hard in a few days!  Just for 3 of us (when our college son travels with us), there are 3 laptops, 2 ipads, 3 iphones, a switch, I forget his other game console, dvd player, and my cameras - just off the top of my head! I forgot the fans and my CGM monitor.  Oh, and my hair dryer.  Hmmm, wonder why we need more than one outlet?  And yes, for EVERY vacation, cruise or not.  I have always packed a power strip.  But now I'm finding that's not acceptable on X so I will find other alternatives.

well geez. Yeah, if you are going to lug 3 laptops, 2 iPads, and multiple gaming stations I’m sure U have room for a power strip. I assume u drive because all that by itself sounds like a suitcase full of stuff. I pack light. 2 iPhones and a multiple usb plug is really all u need on vacation. That’s a camera, phone, game boy, and video player all in one.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, sanger727 said:

well geez. Yeah, if you are going to lug 3 laptops, 2 iPads, and multiple gaming stations I’m sure U have room for a power strip. I assume u drive because all that by itself sounds like a suitcase full of stuff. I pack light. 2 iPhones and a multiple usb plug is really all u need on vacation. That’s a camera, phone, game boy, and video player all in one.

Three people, so luggage for 3 people.  I've always taken a power strip but I'm reading on here that it would most likely be taken.  And all of that is pretty small, though my son's backpack will be full of electronics.  I take a lot of photos - with cameras (though I'm usually down to one depending on the travel) and my phone.  My camera battery chargers are not USB chargers.  I download photos to my laptop daily.  On a cruise, I'm not sure my husband will take his laptop anymore.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:38 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

These are great but a little dicey with apple products (lightning or watch) as they're generally not MFi certified and some may lie, say they are but they're not.  Some have luck with them working for years, they often stop working for me after a few months.  At a minimum, I would highly recommend bringing a backup apple cable whether one buys this or anything else.  Too many times I've heard passengers say "my charging cable stopped charging my phone!"

If I don't use at least one Apple product for charging my iPad, either the cord or charging brick, I get a message in the upper right hand corner "Not Charging"....arrogant little brat.