Can you take food back to your cabin?

thermal

I'm doing a solo cruise on the Grand Princess in September.   On sea days, I just want to relax on the balcony with a good book and some snacks.  I'm wondering if we're allowed to bring food back to the cabin?   Especially from the pizza restaurant or from the buffet?

Thank you kindly. 

Yes. Bring back anything you want.   I do it all the time.   
but the judge people will tell you to cover your food.    And don’t leave dishes in the hall.   So I’ll just beat them too it. Lol 

I bring ziplock bags with me sometimes for treats like cookies or fruit. And I’ll keep that in the fridge for when ever. 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, thermal said:

I'm doing a solo cruise on the Grand Princess in September.   On sea days, I just want to relax on the balcony with a good book and some snacks.  I'm wondering if we're allowed to bring food back to the cabin?   Especially from the pizza restaurant or from the buffet?

Thank you kindly. 

You can take food back to your cabin from all food locations except from the main dining room & Alfredo’s Pizzeria. On Discovery I could order an Alfredo’s pizza from the app to be delivered to my cabin for $3 per pizza.

• Like 2

If you order from Alfredo's to take back to your room, there is a $3 charge.  Room service had conflicting prices in March.  $3 if ordered by phone.  No charge from the television.  You can still get free pizza from Slices on the Lido Deck.

There is an informative thread that gives great ideas on "how to" bring back food from the buffet.  

I bring along. a collapsible container and of course soap to wash it.  

"HE" beat me to the response.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I asked our cabin steward for a room service tray since they will not provide one at any of the food venues.  I took along a tea towel to cover the food we took back to the cabin.

I just don’t the big deal of covering your food tray.  
what’s the big deal.     I’d rather look at someone’s food than someone’s ugly feet in the elevator.        
⬇️⬇️  My morning trip to the buffet plate.   Doesn’t look so scary. 

36CC8022-8425-4073-9876-BC6249FC3EDF.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

what’s the big deal.     I’d rather look at someone’s food than someone’s ugly feet in the elevator.        

36CC8022-8425-4073-9876-BC6249FC3EDF.jpeg

I cover my food because I don't want numerous people breathing over it when in the lifts !

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I cover my food because I don't want numerous people breathing over it when in the lifts !

What’s the difference there’s tons of people around when you get your food in the buffet.   Walking to your room you only really encounter people in an elevator.    There’s germs flowing around the entire ship.  
I bet people who cover their food also wear a mask in their cars alone. Lolol.     😷😷😷🥗

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

What’s the difference there’s tons of people around when you get your food in the buffet.   Walking to your room you only really encounter people in an elevator.    There’s germs flowing around the entire ship.  
I bet people who cover their food also wear a mask in their cars alone. Lolol.     😷😷😷🥗

There's a world of difference between carrying your food 20 metres in the buffet compared to taking a lift and walking 100 metres.

But, it is just a personal choice.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

There's a world of difference between carrying your food 20 metres in the buffet compared to taking a lift and walking 100 metres.

But, it is just a personal choice.

100’s of people in that buffet.   And how many people do you think you pass in the 300 feet.   Lolol.  2-4 people in the lift.  And maybe 1-2 walking by in the halls.    Lol. I’ll take the chances. Lolol.  

yup personal choice.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

I confirm. On our latest cruise, on a tightly packed elevator, a lady stuck her face directly into my plate (stupidly uncovered) and said something like: "it's mine now!" 

Even in pre-pandemic times it would have been gross.... During the pandemic it is downright awful. I learned my lesson and covered up the food from then on.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Lolol.  2-4 people in the lift.

lol, 2-4 people in the elevator? You must always be cruising off season. We cruise during school breaks, with an average of 8 average sized people in one.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I confirm. On our latest cruise, on a tightly packed elevator, a lady stuck her face directly into my plate (stupidly uncovered) and said something like: "it's mine now!" 

Even in pre-pandemic times it would have been gross.... During the pandemic it is downright awful. I learned my lesson and covered up the food from then on.

I learned a long time ago to cover everything. There's something about carrying food outside the buffet via the elevator that makes people feel they have to comment about it. This doesn't happen anyplace like the pool area, IC, aft section or even leaving the DR with smuggled desserts.

It's just being close on the elevator.

Strange. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

lol, 2-4 people in the elevator? You must always be cruising off season. We cruise during school breaks, with an average of 8 average sized people in one.

When I go for breakfast the elevators aren’t very busy.   
man’s I cruised 2 weeks ago so no I don’t cruise off season.  600 kids on board.  
Is there really an off season.   

And I don’t get in a pack elevator.  

Not because of Covid

I’ll take the stairs before I get in an elevator with more than 4 people.  And if people try to jam in while I’m in one.  I’ll get out.    
I don’t have a problem walking a few stairs.  

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I learned a long time ago to cover everything. There's something about carrying food outside the buffet via the elevator that makes people feel they have to comment about it. This doesn't happen anyplace like the pool area, IC, aft section or even leaving the DR with smuggled desserts.

It's just being close on the elevator.

Strange. 

So someone comments offend you?   Sounds like a trip to Dr Phil is in order. Lololol JK.   

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

even leaving the DR with smuggled desserts.

This brings up an interesting question:  some cruise lines have no problem with asking for your dessert to go from the MDR after eating, some do.   What is the policy/experience on Princess?

6 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

This brings up an interesting question:  some cruise lines have no problem with asking for your dessert to go from the MDR after eating, some do.   What is the policy/experience on Princess?

Just go to the Buffett and get anything you want and bring it back to your room.   They always have way more selections there.  
mom princess discovery 2 weeks ago I was shocked at how much stuff they had.  
and yes I walked back to my room with these uncovered.   Lol. 

170EE30B-7CBD-48FC-B933-85D1450A5F63.jpeg

42 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

They really don't want people to carry food out of the DR. If there's a dessert you want to eat later in the evening they'll send it to your room.

That is unless you just cover it with a napkin & carry it out yourself on the way out when the waiter is busy & turns his head. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Just go to the Buffett and get anything you want and bring it back to your room.   They always have way more selections there.  
mom princess discovery 2 weeks ago I was shocked at how much stuff they had.  
and yes I walked back to my room with these uncovered.   Lol. 

170EE30B-7CBD-48FC-B933-85D1450A5F63.jpeg

You're killing me here!

• Haha 1

Getting back to the original question, one thing to consider is the specialty restaurant policy. I am particularly speaking of Crown Grill. If you have any food at the end of your meal, they do NOT provide doggy bags, but WILL send the food to your stateroom. My wife will often only eat half of her steak and we send the rest to our room and put it in the refrigerator.

You will see people all over the ship carrying food. It may be from the burger bar, the buffet, the International Café, or any other venue. Just treat them the way you would like to be treated. Too many folks in the elevator? Wait for the next one.

• Thanks 1

There have been times we have gone to the buffet to get lunch and there was no seating available.  Our next cruise our cabin is on the same deck as the buffet and I would prefer to get my food and go back to my cabin if seating is not available.

We also go to the international coffee, get coffee and a donut, or breakfast sandwich, again taking back to cabin is a nice option and don't want other people breathing on and passing germs on my food.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 4:45 PM, Ptroxx said:

However if you get jostled, or that plate tips, and I end up with bacon grease on my clothing, you and I will be having a strongly worded conversation, and you WILL be paying for the laundry. Just how difficult is it to cover your plate with a napkin or another plate?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

However if you get jostled, or that plate tips, and I end up with bacon grease on my clothing, you and I will be having a strongly worded conversation, and you WILL be paying for the laundry. Just how difficult is it to cover your plate with a napkin or another plate?

What good is a napkin gonna do or another plate.   Guess the napkin can help clean up your greased clothes and the broken plates well that’s another discussion.   
and what are you doing that close to me.  Invading my space.  Seems like that would be your fault mom.   And you’re paying for your own laundry

But thanks for stopping by.  

Edited by Ptroxx