Cunard princess grill questions. Is it still ok or to be avoided?

cruiselovingbears

I have a deposit on princess grill QM2 round trip Caribbean cruise this 12/22/2022. I have read some really negative comments about Cunard lately. We were previously on 4 with them and all were ok to very good. I fear with the pandemic and all they might have really declined. Recent cruisers: should I cancel this cruise or go through with it ?

A P1 cabin isn’t cheap so I’d really like feedback from recent cruisers, particularly in the grill suites. My previous favorite lines were Crystal and Regents, as a point of reference. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cruiselovingbears said:

I have a deposit on princess grill QM2 round trip Caribbean cruise this 12/22/2022. I have read some really negative comments about Cunard lately. We were previously on 4 with them and all were ok to very good. I fear with the pandemic and all they might have really declined. Recent cruisers: should I cancel this cruise or go through with it ?

A P1 cabin isn’t cheap so I’d really like feedback from recent cruisers, particularly in the grill suites. My previous favorite lines were Crystal and Regents, as a point of reference. 

Thanks!

Well Cunard certainly doesn't fall into the luxury small boat concept, so pretty sure your cruise will be drastically different than your previous favorites. Why on earth would you go from Regent to Cunard (truly curious)? 

I'm guessing you don't mind getting all spiffed up for dinner and a leisurely walk around the promenade after hours. But, Regent has more luxurious ships, better ports (because they're smaller ships), a higher staff to passenger ratio, and more inclusive fares. 

Recently...well back in January/February I researched all the lines to figure out where my husband and I wanted to go. We landed on NCL's Haven concept, because we wanted the large boat experience, freedom to wear whatever wanted, whenever we wanted, and the exclusivity/perks the Haven provides.

Cunard, and its' grills, was kicked to the side long before we said no to Regent (which was actually my first choice until I saw the dress code), then we saw their sister line's Haven concept, ergo NCL it was, and is. We've had one cruise with them, with another coming up in two weeks, and a third in May. 

I know there are a lot of Cunarder's forever, but I just can't get it through my feeble mind why. I'd love to take a spin on the only ocean liner and take the dogs with us, but I just can't get past the 1920's vibe of Cunard, which is why I suppose many do sail Cunard (just not this guy). 

I know I didn't answer your question, but I think if you come up with some questions to ask yourself, especially those more existential "why" questions, you'll be able to determine if you actually want to ride the waves on Cunard. 

• Like 1

• It depends what you like. I have cruised with Regent and found it to be an impersonal but luxurious experience. QM2 is a different vibe altogether as you well know having cruised 4 times with them. We were on QM2 in Princess Grill last winter and I thought the experience in the Grill as as good as it ever was. As for the rest of the ship, I felt that some cuts had been made and some crew could have done with more training.
  • We will definitely book the Grills again but it suits us - Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Like 1

As I said, I've been on 4 or 5 Cunard cruises before so I know what they entail. Yes I loved Crystal and preferred it. It's not an option now.

This Caribbean cruise is from NYC (wanted that) and covers the holidays (also desirable). 

I am asking recent Cunard cruisers: has the experience deteriorated significantly  recently (my last QM2 cruise with them 3 years ago) and especially: is the Princess Grill worth all the money (still?)?

• Thanks 1

As I said, I've been on 4 or 5 Cunard cruises before so I know what they entail. Yes I loved Crystal and preferred it. It's not an option now.

This Caribbean cruise is from NYC (wanted that) and covers the holidays (also desirable). 

I am asking recent Cunard cruisers: has the experience deteriorated significantly  recently (my last QM2 cruise with them 3 years ago) and especially: is the Princess Grill worth all the money (still?)?

Thanks! Appreciate the why! Have fun wherever you decide to sail, and with whiche er line...Ill curtsy my way out now. Bowing is just so drab.

I haven't been in PG on QM2 for a couple of years, but we were in PG on Victoria in June and I thought it was as good as ever. Our cabin steward was excellent and kept us supplied with fresh fruit. Our dining experience was superb - with crepes suzette and chateau briande when we requested it. The rate we booked at had the all inclusive drinks package and gratuities, so it did feel more like one of those all inclusive lines. I do think that the Grills are superior on Victoria to QM2 because of the outside terrace dining and large shady sun deck, the Grills Terrace on deck 11 on QM2 is a bit small, but I usually make good use of the hot tub. If it's the Christmas/New Year Caribbean cruise that you are looking at, this is a great time to be on QM2

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiselovingbears said:

Thanks!

Our last two cruises were in PG on QE. November last year and March this. The service we received was excellent, as always and we're looking forward to sailing in PG again in two weeks time on QE out of Barcelona. My blog --LINK-- covers them in detail.

• Like 1

Some of the negative comments I have seen have been about the condition of the ship. She is 18 years old and spends a lot of time at sea. Unlike a lot of ships which might have 1 sea day a week she often only has 1 day in port a week.

If you prefer your ships to look like pristine land based resorts you might be better off cancelling. On the other hand if you have a realistic expectation of what a ship looks like I'm sure you will be fine.

I haven't sailed since the re-start so I don't have any first hand experience.

• Like 2

We had a nice time on QM2 in 2019, and probably an even nicer one in July this year, both QG. The PG cabins on QM2 are a nice square shape, much nicer than those on the Vistas. The food and, particularly, service were very good, and there were lots of people all over the place sprucing her up. I can see no possible reason to cancel and miss an enjoyable and serene experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were in  Princess Grills suite on the QM2 starting on July 1 this year. It was a round trip NYC. Biggest issue was with the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (That is discussed on other threads.)

Our stateroom attendent was wonderful and very helpful with a few issues,  as was the concierge.  

The Princess Grills dining room staff were great. We had no problem with service. Onenight we requested a special dessert. It was prepared for us the next evening. 

We also enjoyed the Grills lounge before dinner. The staff was great there, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit rev said:

We were in  Princess Grills suite on the QM2 starting on July 1 this year. It was a round trip NYC. Biggest issue was with the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. (That is discussed on other threads.)

Our stateroom attendent was wonderful and very helpful with a few issues,  as was the concierge.  

The Princess Grills dining room staff were great. We had no problem with service. Onenight we requested a special dessert. It was prepared for us the next evening. 

We also enjoyed the Grills lounge before dinner. The staff was great there, too. 

Thank you Jane.... will report back..though we have a number of more days added to yours....

Edited by BklynBoy8

4 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Having experienced the lines you mention on many occasions I am curious as to why you would not sail Queens grill? Surely it would be a more comparable experience to the luxury lines?

Good point. But I've read there is little real difference between PG and QG bookings - unless you are in need of a bigger room. I'm not. And I Dont need a butler. Otherwise PG and QG pretty much the same and a big upgrade from Britannia (I hope). No? My previous 4 QM2s were all Britannia.

• If your previous 4 QM2 s were in Britannia , I would suggest that the Grills, either PG or QG are a different world. The staterooms are significantly bigger and the level of cuisine  and choice of menu in the restaurant are significantly enhanced.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think PG is Cunard’s sweet spot.  Allocated table in the restaurant, freedom to dine when you like, subject to opening times, and a near-identical menu to Queen’s. No, you can’t go off menu as much in Princess, but we rarely do in Queen’s anyway, and on Queen’s Liz and Vic the PG restaurant is a far more pleasant space than the QG restaurant, which always puts me in mind of a school canteen it’ so tight-packed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:42 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm guessing you don't mind getting all spiffed up for dinner and a leisurely walk around the promenade after hours. But, Regent has more luxurious ships, better ports (because they're smaller ships), a higher staff to passenger ratio, and more inclusive fares. 

I know there are a lot of Cunarder's forever, but I just can't get it through my feeble mind why. I'd love to take a spin on the only ocean liner and take the dogs with us, but I just can't get past the 1920's vibe of Cunard, which is why I suppose many do sail Cunard (just not this guy). 

I detect a not-so-subtle put-down of people who enjoy one of the traditions of the sea.  I doubt I would go on a forum of a line I have no intention of sailing with and make comments about people who like to dress casually - or even like slobs - at dinner. 

People unfamiliar with Cunard should realise that Cunard has dumbed down the dress code over the past few years. I'm not going to compare the present with our first crossing almost 50 years ago. As recently as 2008, on the soon-to-be-retired QE2, there were four formal nights out of six. The non-formal nights required a jacket and tie in all four restaurant classes. The cafeteria was available, as it is now, as an alternative.  I met a lot of people on that crossing and not one complained about the tradition of dressing for dinner.  

After that, the number of formal nights was reduced to three even though the crossings were soon increased to seven nights. Now it is a mere two "gala nights".  

On our first cruise on the QE in 2013 there were three formal nights out of seven. On the 10-day Alaska cruises we have taken there were just two.

I think 99% of the ships in service have a casual dress code. Surely there is room on the seas for a few ships (and not just those of Cunard) for people who want something different.  

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If you make a request off menu, is it refused?  Or, just discouraged?  

Refused, in our experience, with the Maitre d' being very apologetic but saying that Cunard were imposing this to mark a more significant difference between Queen's and Princess because people were booking Pricess and expecting Queen's perks. 

That said, our assistant maitre d' was happy to do crepes suzette and some other bits and bobs, but lobster thermidor was a definite no.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yorkshire Mike said:

Refused, in our experience, with the Maitre d' being very apologetic but saying that Cunard were imposing this to mark a more significant difference between Queen's and Princess because people were booking Pricess and expecting Queen's perks. 

That said, our assistant maitre d' was happy to do crepes suzette and some other bits and bobs, but lobster thermidor was a definite no.

I can understand Cunard's stance , given that off menu dining was only officially offered in Queens grill.  It's worth noting that whilst Cunard is still offering off menu dining in QG , it is no longer advertised as available on its website.

We couldn't get into QG for our return from Capetown in April,  we will be in PG , but not expecting  off menu options.  But then again paying substantially less.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I can understand Cunard's stance , given that off menu dining was only officially offered in Queens grill.  It's worth noting that whilst Cunard is still offering off menu dining in QG , it is no longer advertised as available on its website.

We couldn't get into QG for our return from Capetown in April,  we will be in PG , but not expecting  off menu options.  But then again paying substantially less.

We were in Britannia Club and did get off menu item. It was a special occasion and they honored our request one evening. So asking nice could make a special event special.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We were in Britannia Club and did get off menu item. It was a special occasion and they honored our request one evening. So asking nice could make a special event special.

It's my wife's Birthday during our cruise,  will have to think.