Pub lunch returning, any news

antsp

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

We've enjoyed the Pub Lunch in the past. I've heard Brits complaining about the mushy peas though. I've never seen the rumored Shrimp and Chips offered.

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before.

DW loves the mushy peas and once asked for "extra peas". Seems something got lost in translation and/or accent problems, she got "extra pieces" of fish but didn't realize it until she complained that she didn't get "extra peas" when the server pointed to the extra fish. Everyone including the server had a good laugh.

Oh yeah, Shrimp and Chips is a real thing!

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before.

DW loves the mushy peas and once asked for "extra peas". Seems something got lost in translation and/or accent problems, she got "extra pieces" of fish but didn't realize it until she complained that she didn't get "extra peas" when the server pointed to the extra fish. Everyone including the server had a good laugh.

Note to self. On lobster nights and escargot nights, ask for extra peas! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Note to self. On lobster nights and escargot nights, ask for extra peas! 😎

On Lobster night, our waiter suggested that we order the lobster with two lobster tails!  I guess we must've treated him well.  But then, I forgot to order extra escargot ... 🤥

there was pub lunch in the MDR on the Enchanted during the July 22 sailing; it was the last sea day, but wasn't advertised in the Patter at all. We stumbled upon it purely by luck when we saw the hostess outside the MDR, telling passengers who walked by about it.

1 hour ago, thehowlingroad said:

there was pub lunch in the MDR on the Enchanted during the July 22 sailing; it was the last sea day, but wasn't advertised in the Patter at all. We stumbled upon it purely by luck

So if enough people do not know about it and therefore do not go to it, Princess might discontinue it saying it is not popular enough to continue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

So if enough people do not know about it and therefore do not go to it, Princess might discontinue it saying it is not popular enough to continue.

I think it’s not held in a separate venue,

yet because of the staff shortage. It is very popular.

Just like the reopening of Planks and Steamers…some day?

11 hours ago, thehowlingroad said:

there was pub lunch in the MDR on the Enchanted during the July 22 sailing; it was the last sea day, but wasn't advertised in the Patter at all. We stumbled upon it purely by luck when we saw the hostess outside the MDR, telling passengers who walked by about it.

Hmmm?  They did advertise it in the Patter on our sailing. At least I thought it was.

Edited by suzyed

4 hours ago, suzyed said:

Hmmm?  They did advertise it in the Patter on our sailing. At least I thought it was.

Maybe I missed it, but I was looking very specifically for the Pub Lunch on sea days and there was no mention of it at all on the Patter or on the TV menus-- it only showed the standard MDR lunch menu for the day.

On 8/20/2022 at 6:09 AM, Jadn13 said:

The same day that  the buffet held some fish offerings, I dare not call it Pub Lunch it was awful, they had fish and chips on the lunch menu in the MDR.

it was nothing like the pub lunch of the past, all a bit disappointing.

This was on the CB in May 

I'm with you. Not to get too picky here, but the appearance of fish and chips in the buffet or MDR doesn't pass for Pub Lunch to me no matter what Princess calls it.

I think those who miss it are missing the separate venue (Wheelhouse or similar) with multiple British menu options and draft ales in a pub setting. That's what I hope will return 

Jim

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, bronzey214 said:

We are currently on the Crown and it’s tomorrow (Juneau) in Da Vinci.

On a port day?  Now that sounds "different" from past sailings. I have to wonder who came up with that idea.

7 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

I'm with you. Not to get too picky here, but the appearance of fish and chips in the buffet or MDR doesn't pass for Pub Lunch to me no matter what Princess calls it.

I think those who miss it are missing the separate venue (Wheelhouse or similar) with multiple British menu options and draft ales in a pub setting. That's what I hope will return 

Jim

Having spent more than my share of times in pubs for lunch (and maybe a little earlier ...) the concept of a pub lunch on Princess is more of a novelty rather than authentic.  Nevertheless it is a reminder of days gone by.  But then, I've never encountered anyone from the UK (from the serving staff) to complain to about the quality of the Pub Lunch, and I didn't think it appropriate to address this issue to the Captain. ...😂

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, voljeep said:

We had it - not sure now about what ship and date - but we got it along with the fish and chips

We had both on the Grand before the pandemic.     Both excellent... would love to have again,    

A couple of people mentioned that the fish and chips at the pub lunch left a lot to be desired. For those of you visiting Juneau, Alaska, there is a well reviewed fish and chips restaurant just a few minutes walk from the cruise terminal. I just watched a video blog by Gary Bembridge, a UK citizen who reviews all the cruises he takes under the Tips For Travelers tag line. His latest is titled "Too Many Alaska Cruisers Still Get These 7 Things Wrong" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdG5xjaElwc

About 3/4 of the way through he mentions that the best fish and chips that he has ever had was at the Alaska Fish And Chips Company in Juneau - https://www.alaskafishandchips.com/  From a citizen of a country where I have always had great fish and chips, this place may be worth checking out if fish and chips are a favorite of yours. 

Alaska Fish and Chips Company.JPG

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 2:48 PM, jasbo49 said:

I'm not getting my hopes up.  With the Salty Dog pub (and its upcharge) replacing Vines on some ships, I think the handwriting is on the wall.  Princess passengers like pub lunches?  Hey!  Let's charge them for it.  All part of the plan to erase Princess' traditions (especially the free ones.)

On 8/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, SantaFeFan said:

About 3/4 of the way through he mentions that the best fish and chips that he has ever had was at the Alaska Fish And Chips Company in Juneau - https://www.alaskafishandchips.com/  From a citizen of a country where I have always had great fish and chips, this place may be worth checking out if fish and chips are a favorite of yours. 

When we spent a night in Southampton before cruising to Norway we went to a local pub to meet some other folks from our roll call thread. My wife and I ordered beer downstairs and got genuine "pulled" beer rather than what we get here in the US and ordered Fish and Chips. We went upstairs to drink our beer and wait for our dinner. When the dinner arrived we were blown away. It was nothing like what we get at home if we order Fish and Chips. It was freaking awesome. It spoiled Fish and Chips for us at home as it was soooooooooooooooo good.

Edit: Here is another version but not nearly as good. Of course, in the UK, this would actually be called Fish and Crisps...

image.jpeg.b071bef6b7c2a246b504c4617c321597.jpeg

Edited by Thrak
  • Haha 3

Just finished the Enchanted crossing and they offered the Pub Lunch on the last sea day at the Crown Grill and it was in the Patter.  It was beyond well attended (as in major lines for it, which is notable because there was never a line for anything as we sailed at only 65% full).  We both commented that it was far superior to pub lunches in the past, bigger crispier fish.  

It is clear it is making its was back into rotation.