A request for information from Princess about the 2024 Eclipse Cruise

bladerunner6

We are booked for this cruise as many others are already.  This will be my third eclipse cruise so I am familiar with the process.

I am however very concerned about one thing in the itinerary:

It shows us as being docked at Mazatlan on the day of the eclipse.  Weather prospects are not particularly for that location and time of year, only about 57% of at least some partially clear skies.

Weather for April 8 in Mazatlan.

We really need to be at sea on Eclipse Day unless the weather is so bad everywhere in that part of the world that it doesn’t matter or the satellite gives us overwhelming confidence that it is clear at port.

I got rained on for my first eclipse before I switched to cruising. Having mobility for eclipses is indeed what got me into cruising.

We can’t just assume the weather will be good at port. We need to have the mobility of being at sea.

Thank you.

Edited by bladerunner6

The cruise is still, 18 months away and you are in a panic about the weather already? Did it occur to you that the Matzatlan port hours might just be a place holder for now? Relax or you'll have given yourself a nervous breakdown by the time the eclipse rolls around.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I understand your concern. I was on the Carnival Jubilee in 1991, and it was supposed to be docked at Mazatlan for the eclipse. Mazatlan was totally clouded over. The ship docked, let off all the people who wanted off, and went back out to sea. We sailed around in circles for a few hours, getting rained on a lot, and finally found a hole in the clouds. My hope is that Princess will do this if it's cloudy. I might be disappointed in that, but it's a fact that no matter where you put yourself for an eclipse, there's never a guarantee you'll see it unless you're in a plane above the clouds. 

I'm sorry if many of you have seen this tale of mine about the Jubilee too many times. I keep telling the tale because Carnival made the right choice and came through for all of us. Maybe Princess is paying attention?

Edited by Sea Hag
apology
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

The cruise is still, 18 months away and you are in a panic about the weather already? Did it occur to you that the Matzatlan port hours might just be a place holder for now? Relax or you'll have given yourself a nervous breakdown by the time the eclipse rolls around.

Yes, I am absolutely concerned about the weather for any eclipse expedition.  You have to be.    I am thinking it is a placeholder but I really would like confirmation before I totally commit to thousands of dollars and a huge wasted opportunity.

• Like 1

Have you noticed this cruise, barely 14 days available to book, has very limited availability?  I think when I email customer relations I’ll be sure to add this to the reasons they should drop off who ever wants to get dropped off in Mazatlan then head out to sea for the eclipse viewing if there’s any chance of inclement weather. Clearly, people are booking this cruise for only ONE reason!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Have you noticed this cruise, barely 14 days available to book, has very limited availability?  I think when I email customer relations I’ll be sure to add this to the reasons they should drop off who ever wants to get dropped off in Mazatlan then head out to sea for the eclipse viewing if there’s any chance of inclement weather. Clearly, people are booking this cruise for only ONE reason!  

Unless the weather conditions are absolutely assured one way or another we shouldn’t port.

My summation of the OP’s request: 
“Dear Princess please control the weather for a specific date, on a cruise more than 15 months from now or I will get my knickers in a twist and badmouth you.  Many Thanks - KAREN!”

Seriously?…. Even if the ship is at sea there is ZERO assurance of clear skies.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2022 at 12:11 PM, bladerunner6 said:

Unless the weather conditions are absolutely assured one way or another we shouldn’t port.

Or you shouldn't cruise on this ship. Have you thought about hiring your own yacht so that you would have more control of conditions?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 9:04 AM, Coral said:

Honestly - if this is your concern, you should probably book a land trip which has higher probability of better weather conditions and viewing opportunities.

It is a solar eclipse cruise- they should do everything they can to optimize the chances of seeing the eclipse.

If you or anyone else places a higher value on porting than trying to see the eclipse than they should book an alternative vacation.

Would you book a whale watching cruise and not expect them to optimize your chances of seeing whales?

On 8/30/2022 at 11:28 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

My summation of the OP’s request: 
“Dear Princess please control the weather for a specific date, on a cruise more than 15 months from now or I will get my knickers in a twist and badmouth you.  Many Thanks - KAREN!”

Seriously?…. Even if the ship is at sea there is ZERO assurance of clear skies.  

Sir, I politely say you summation of my attitude and concern are totally incorrect.

This is being promoted and PRICED as a solar eclipse cruise.

That means they need to optimize the chances of seeing the eclipse.

I am merely requesting confirmation that they will be doing that.

And yes, after being interested in astronomy for decades and decades I realize there is no guarantee of clear skies.

I just am asking for confirmation that they are intent on doing whatever is needed to maximize our chances of success so they are justified the premium pricing.

If this was just a regular cruise then I would have seen more promotional offers but I haven’t, have you?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Coral said:

Or you shouldn't cruise on this ship. Have you thought about hiring your own yacht so that you would have more control of conditions?

My response is: if they are promoting this as a solar eclipse cruise and charging a premium for that then they should make every practical effort to deliver that service. 

If going to port is more important to you than seeing the eclipse (although once you experience an eclipse you will see my concern) then perhaps you should book a cruise that is not aimed at this special event.

Guys, I have been into astronomy so long that I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t enthused about it.

My mom just passed away after a slow and hard decline and  at her funeral reception dinner I talked about how her and my dad supported my interest in astronomy, amongst many other ways she and my dad were good parents. My mom wasn’t a hoarder but she did keep a few random things and I found a set of letters from 40 years ago when they wrote back and forth to a company that they bought a telescope from for me.

I can talk to you all day about what a total eclipse is like and you won’t get it anymore than a woman telling me what it is like to give birth.

I just want confirmation that they realize their first responsibility is to optimize chances of seeing the eclipse.  

So far I haven’t seen that.

But I ramble- in one sentence: the mention of a port on eclipse day throws some doubt on them realizing what their first and foremost priority is and I just want confirmation that they realize they need to do everything possible to optimize chances for success.

If anybody says anything else about my concern  not being valid, I will just have them go back and read that sentence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

I can talk to you all day about what a total eclipse is like and you won’t get it anymore than a woman telling me what it is like to give birth.

This is absolutely true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bladerunner6 said:

It is a solar eclipse cruise- they should do everything they can to optimize the chances of seeing the eclipse.

If you or anyone else places a higher value on porting than trying to see the eclipse than they should book an alternative vacation.

Would you book a whale watching cruise and not expect them to optimize your chances of seeing whales?

Even the highest rated whale expedition ships do not promise 100% you are going to see whales.  But they do try and if I was to book this voyage, I would have 100% confidence that the Captain would get the ship into position providing it was safe to do so.  Yah pays yer money and yah takes yer chances.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Even the highest rated whale expedition ships do not promise 100% you are going to see whales.  But they do try and if I was to book this voyage, I would have 100% confidence that the Captain would get the ship into position providing it was safe to do so.  Yah pays yer money and yah takes yer chances.

Let me be clear: I don’t expect success.  But I do expect the maximum effort and I am pretty confident of it.

But for thousands and thousands of dollars I do also expect confirmation when the itinerary shows something different.

Does that make sense?

11 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

Let me be clear: I don’t expect success.  But I do expect the maximum effort and I am pretty confident of it.

But for thousands and thousands of dollars I do also expect confirmation when the itinerary shows something different.

Does that make sense?

Itineraries can be changed.  They may not be ready to announce as yet.  Have you tried writing a nice letter to Customer Relations and inquiring since this voyage is advertised for the Eclipse, do they plan on an itinerary change so the ship will not be in port?  TBH, I have not looked at the path of the eclipse.  Does the full eclipse path cover the port stop?

Edited by Steelers36

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Itineraries can be changed.  They may not be ready to announce as yet.  Have you tried writing a nice letter to Customer Relations and inquiring since this voyage is advertised for the Eclipse, do they plan on an itinerary change so the ship will not be in port?  TBH, I have not looked at the path of the eclipse.  Does the full eclipse path cover the port stop?

I was hoping a post here would get attention but it looks like that isn’t happening. So yes, a letter appears likely.

Yes, Mazatlan is pretty close to the centerline.

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

But that is not the issue. The probability of clear to partially cloudy skies is only about 57%.

https://weatherspark.com/d/3239/4/8/Average-Weather-on-April-8-in-Mazatlán-Mexico

Now that is way better than many places in the US but it is not great.  And if it is cloudy at port driving inland will not be a viable option. 

So being mobile is critical.  I got into cruising because I did a land trip for my first eclipse and got rained on.

Mobility is the key my friend.

3 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

3 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

Mobility is the key my friend.

You are willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars solely for an event that will last 7-12 minutes. And demand mobility. While seemingly only giving lip service to the fact that the ship can't guarantee that the eclipse will be viewable. If its that vital, why not fly to Mazatlan and hire a boat to take you out to sea. It would probably be cheaper and take less time, since you have shown no interest on the cruise itself.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You are willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars solely for an event that will last 7-12 minutes. And demand mobility. While seemingly only giving lip service to the fact that the ship can't guarantee that the eclipse will be viewable. If its that vital, why not fly to Mazatlan and hire a boat to take you out to sea. It would probably be cheaper and take less time, since you have shown no interest on the cruise itself.

1) The event last much longer than 7-12 minutes.  As said previously, I can’t explain the experience and others agree with me

2) Mobility is why I got into solar eclipse cruising

3)I am not giving lip service to the fact that they can’t guarantee results. What I am asking for is a guarantee of a best effort

4) I have a tremendous interest in the cruise itself. I have been on a number of cruises that have not been eclipse cruises

I am trying to be pleasant here but I don’t understand why people insist that Princess should implement an awful strategy for seeing a eclipse by porting?

But I ramble- in one sentence: the mention of a port on eclipse day throws some doubt on them realizing what their first and foremost priority is and I just want confirmation that they realize they need to do everything possible to optimize chances for success.

As someone who is flying from the UK for this cruise anything Princess can do to make it as successful as possible is much appreciated. I am assuming that nearer the time, the timetable of the eclipse day will become clearer. If the weather isn't kind then I will enjoy all the other ports and cruise experience. I am looking on the eclipse as an added bonus which we might be lucky enough to experience. I did the same when we visited the Falkland Islands and it worked out in our favour.

• Like 1

To Atlantic, Steelers, Mom and Coral and anyone I might have missed.

People are explicitly booking this for the eclipse.  It is listed as a Solar Eclipse Cruise. I called Princess customer service and they described it as a Solar Eclipse Cruise. That is what people are paying the premium for.  If that is not your agenda then you are the ones on the wrong cruise.  But you missing this would be a tragedy for you so I hope you will come around.

I am wondering, do you think you can just show up anywhere on the eclipse path and expect to see the eclipse? It doesn’t work that way.  Like I said, I got rained on in 1984. One of my coworkers thought he was so clever going on a business trip along the path  for 2017 and he got clouded out.  He admitted when he got back he shouldn’t have been so sure and commended me on my planning and success.

So please  tell me why they should not make the best possible effort, which is being at sea?  And let me be clear,  I am not demanding results, just the best possible effort.

And as I said, the CSR at Princess described it as the Solar Eclipse Cruise. 

I just gave them my booking number and that is how they described it.  This is not described as “A Cruise with a Premium Price and a half-hearted attempt at an Eclipse”. 

As for how long myself and others having been planning for this it certainly has been years if not decades. I can’t remember when I first looked at the path of this eclipse.  It might have been in 1998 after my successful sailing on Veendam.  I know I got a book on that cruise that chronicled eclipses up to 2017.  

So people do plan for these things decades in advance.  In fact, here is a map of eclipses from 2011 to 2060.  I don’t expect to live to be 98 though. My dad passed at 88 and my mother just passed after a brutal four month decline at 95.

In any case my lovely wife and I have been planning for a cruise for this one and for a Nile River Cruise for 2027 since at least 2017.  

And assuming I live long enough, I hope to have my last solar eclipse on a cruise in 2045.

Path of 2045 eclipse.

So yes, we need to be at sea because that is how we will maximize the chances for myself and others, many/most of whom have been waiting years and even decades  for this.

Ask anybody that has seen a Total (not partial) Solar Eclipse and they will go on and on about it.   It is epic, it is indescribable, it is life changing.   You have no idea what you are in for.  It will leave you filled with awe and it will leave you humbled.  You will be laughing, crying, shouting and clapping. You will applaud as the dolphins leap into the air to celebrate the return of the sun.

It will be one of the greatest moments in your life, please embrace  it and do everything you can to achieve it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

To Atlantic, Steelers, Mom and Coral and anyone I might have missed.

People are explicitly booking this for the eclipse.  It is listed as a Solar Eclipse Cruise. I called Princess customer service and they described it as a Solar Eclipse Cruise. That is what people are paying the premium for.  If that is not your agenda then you are the ones on the wrong cruise.  But you missing this would be a tragedy for you so I hope you will come around.

I am wondering, do you think you can just show up anywhere on the eclipse path and expect to see the eclipse? It doesn’t work that way.  Like I said, I got rained on in 1984. One of my coworkers thought he was so clever going on a business trip along the path  for 2017 and he got clouded out.  He admitted when he got back he shouldn’t have been so sure and commended me on my planning and success.

So please  tell me why they should not make the best possible effort, which is being at sea?  And let me be clear,  I am not demanding results, just the best possible effort.

And as I said, the CSR at Princess described it as the Solar Eclipse Cruise. 

I just gave them my booking number and that is how they described it.  This is not described as “A Cruise with a Premium Price and a half-hearted attempt at an Eclipse”. 

As for how long myself and others having been planning for this it certainly has been years if not decades. I can’t remember when I first looked at the path of this eclipse.  It might have been in 1998 after my successful sailing on Veendam.  I know I got a book on that cruise that chronicled eclipses up to 2017.  

So people do plan for these things decades in advance.  In fact, here is a map of eclipses from 2011 to 2060.  I don’t expect to live to be 98 though. My dad passed at 88 and my mother just passed after a brutal four month decline at 95.

In any case my lovely wife and I have been planning for a cruise for this one and for a Nile River Cruise for 2027 since at least 2017.  

And assuming I live long enough, I hope to have my last solar eclipse on a cruise in 2045.

Path of 2045 eclipse.

So yes, we need to be at sea because that is how we will maximize the chances for myself and others, many/most of whom have been waiting years and even decades  for this.

Ask anybody that has seen a Total (not partial) Solar Eclipse and they will go on and on about it.   It is epic, it is indescribable, it is life changing.   You have no idea what you are in for.  It will leave you filled with awe and it will leave you humbled.  You will be laughing, crying, shouting and clapping. You will applaud as the dolphins leap into the air to celebrate the return of the sun.

It will be one of the greatest moments in your life, please embrace  it and do everything you can to achieve it.

After reading through this thread I have to say that I agree with you.  Princess shouldn't call this an Eclipse cruise and charge higher prices without making every attempt to actually give the guests what they advertised.  Being in port during the main event makes no sense.  And obviously they have no control over weather, but to plan a port stop on the big day over a year out just shows that someone at Princess isn't thinking.  Would suggest that you write to Princess to see if they can adjust the schedule . It may not happen but it's worth a try and clearly better than asking here.  Here's the current contacts per Elliott.org - good luck!

Email Contacts

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Collin Steinke
Director, Customer Relations
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
csteinke@princesscruises.com

Secondary Contact
Lorna Warren
Vice President Guest Services
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
lwarren@princesscruises.com

Chief Executive
John Padgett
President
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
jpadgett@princess.com

Also, try padgett@HAGroup.com

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

Maybe it is just a cruise that happens to be in Mazatlan when there is a solar eclipse. Makes a good marketing ploy to call it a solar eclipse cruise. But, Princess calls it a 10-Day Mexican Riviera with Total Solar Eclipse, not a Solar Eclipse cruise. They price it about the same as the other Mexican cruises.

Edited by billco
  • Like 4