Veranda suite differences ?

Lonedaddy

Probably my first stupid question…. (At least On this board) …but on the same ship are there any differences between classic deluxe and superior verandah suites other than location?  I’m assuming not but just checking.  Sorry I’m a silversea noob.

17 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Probably my first stupid question…. (At least On this board) …but on the same ship are there any differences between classic deluxe and superior verandah suites other than location?  I’m assuming not but just checking.  Sorry I’m a silversea noob.

Actually, on the Spirit there are some differences.  Only a handful of the deluxe suites (those created when the ship was stretched) have the bathtub removed and a huge and wonderful walk-in shower with a bench.  

• Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, Observer said:

Actually, on the Spirit there are some differences.  Only a handful of the deluxe suites (those created when the ship was stretched) have the bathtub removed and a huge and wonderful walk-in shower with a bench.  

Is that walk-on shower vs bathtub/shower combination also considered an improvement on the Cloud? I had the combo but just switched to the shower only since I think it is unlikely I will sit and take a bath and thought bath might be more slippery especially on sea days. I'm so used to other cruise lines that have tons of threads on which cabin is better than others -- feel a bit blind choosing on SS.

9 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Is that walk-on shower vs bathtub/shower combination also considered an improvement on the Cloud? I had the combo but just switched to the shower only since I think it is unlikely I will sit and take a bath and thought bath might be more slippery especially on sea days. I'm so used to other cruise lines that have tons of threads on which cabin is better than others -- feel a bit blind choosing on SS.

Probably for most people, but then it was only a 3/4 sized tub.

We've taken many cruises on a number of different cruise lines (Silversea, Paul Gauguin -now Ponant, HAL SeaDream Yacht Club, Regent, Viking). All but one of those cruises has been a minimum of 2 weeks. While I enjoy a bath at home, I have never taken a bath onboard. There's just too much to do. I would love to have the new ships include more cabins without a tub. The only thing we've ever used it for is to hang wet clothes.

13 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We've taken many cruises on a number of different cruise lines (Silversea, Paul Gauguin -now Ponant, HAL SeaDream Yacht Club, Regent, Viking). All but one of those cruises has been a minimum of 2 weeks. While I enjoy a bath at home, I have never taken a bath onboard. There's just too much to do. I would love to have the new ships include more cabins without a tub. The only thing we've ever used it for is to hang wet clothes.

I'm with you on that.  Never used a bathtub onboard.  I'd prefer the space be used for a larger shower.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We had one of the large walk in showers on the Spirit. In the ‘new’ section. Was very happy indeed. And a few fellow passengers we met had a touch of envy. The new ship Nova seems to have a lot of these showers i.e. no bathtub. That seems to be the default option. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have just booked our first Silversea cruise on the Nova in 2025 which our travel agent has combined with an India land tour so, as they block book, our choice of suites was limited. Knowing how annoying the dragging of furniture  can be if under the pool deck we avoided Deck 9 and were left with deck 8 (large shower) or Deck 7 (bath and shower). My worry is, on the deck plan there is a large, empty white box directly above the deck 8 suite - probably a staff area, could be storage but unknown and as I didn't want to be woken by the gentle rattle of room service trolleys (just in case) I have gone for the deck 7 option - surrounded on all sides by other suites and in the middle and a bit lower so good for the old mal de mer. Whilst I would have preferred the large shower I'm not too fussed. The travel agent thought it might be the same bath and shower combo as on the other ships but I am sure we will find out more in the fullness of time 😁

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

To each his own but I wouldn't cruise on a line that did not have at least the option of a bath.

Having some mobility and balance problems standing in a shower especially at sea is just too dangerous.

Although the majority seem to be showers, There do seem to be a fair few veranda suites with a bath - they are marked by a water droplet 💧 on the deck plan

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

To each his own but I wouldn't cruise on a line that did not have at least the option of a bath.

Having some mobility and balance problems standing in a shower especially at sea is just too dangerous.

Another job for the Butler?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

It's odd, I feel the opposite. I also have some mobility and balance issues and would prefer a shower to a bath/shower combo especially in rough seas. The bath tends to be slippery and not best shape for shower option. Plus the shower has a bench. 

35 minutes ago, sherylc said:

It's odd, I feel the opposite. I also have some mobility and balance issues and would prefer a shower to a bath/shower combo especially in rough seas. The bath tends to be slippery and not best shape for shower option. Plus the shower has a bench. 

I agree with you 100%. Getting in and out of a tub is the last thing I want td do.....and I sail on my own.

Actually getting into the tub probably would not be so bad but getting out? I don't know if I could do it!

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I agree with you 100%. Getting in and out of a tub is the last thing I want td do.....and I sail on my own.

Actually getting into the tub probably would not be so bad but getting out? I don't know if I could do it!

I agree.  I have a garden tub in my house now that goes unused most of the time unless I want a good long soak with bath salts.  Then when its time to get out, the fun begins and I remember why I only take showers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I agree.  I have a garden tub in my house now that goes unused most of the time unless I want a good long soak with bath salts.  Then when its time to get out, the fun begins and I remember why I only take showers.

Have to smile about your tub.  We remodeled our master bath a few years ago and Mrs K picked this amazing tub.  It does all sorts of things like mood lighting, bubbles, keeps the water warm, etc., etc.  Mrs K has occasional back problems so she thought this tub would be a help.  I figure right now the baths she’s taken in it are running us about $500 a bath.   We much prefer showering and would have no problem with a cabin with only a shower.   🤔🙄😬

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 2

Wow.  At home, I find time for a long bath at least once a week and feel deprived if that doesn't happen.  On a cruise, MUCH more often, and that's in addition to soaks in the jacuzzis.  I don't know what would happen if I were to walk into my suite one day and find only a niggardly shower!

The only reason I can think of for eschewing the tub is perhaps you're forgetting to bring the bottle of Whiskey in with you???  Hot water, bubbles, single malt and a good book...  Ahhhhh!  (Don't let the cats in with you.  They only pretend they're interested until you're wet and relaxed.  THEN they bang on the door for some urgent activity they just remembered).

Edited by pf778c
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, pf778c said:

Wow.  At home, I find time for a long bath at least once a week and feel deprived if that doesn't happen.  On a cruise, MUCH more often, and that's in addition to soaks in the jacuzzis.  I don't know what would happen if I were to walk into my suite one day and find only a niggardly shower!

The only reason I can think of for eschewing the tub is perhaps you're forgetting to bring the bottle of Whiskey in with you???  Hot water, bubbles, single malt and a good book...  Ahhhhh!  (Don't let the cats in with you.  They only pretend they're interested until you're wet and relaxed.  THEN they bang on the door for some urgent activity they just remembered).

I remember a few years ago I had my bathroom remodeled. You would not like it, but I love it😀.....I had the tub removed and a full shower was installed. I cannot remember the last time I took a bath to be honest. Some folks are just shower people and I am in that group. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in a country where water is a precious resource and baths are considered an expensive waste. Even a long shower is considered profligate. 
On one SS cruise some years ago, I came back from an excursion to find that my butler had run a bath for me, had even sprinkled some sort of petals on the water. I was utterly appalled at the waste and hated just pulling the plug but I shower, not bathe. 
Then I had a rather awkward moment setting the butler straight without hurting his feelings. 

PS Those of you who know me are probably falling off their chairs laughing thinking of me and petals in the same sentence. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I live in a country where water is a precious resource and baths are considered an expensive waste. Even a long shower is considered profligate. 
On one SS cruise some years ago, I came back from an excursion to find that my butler had run a bath for me, had even sprinkled some sort of petals on the water. I was utterly appalled at the waste and hated just pulling the plug but I shower, not bathe. 
Then I had a rather awkward moment setting the butler straight without hurting his feelings. 

PS Those of you who know me are probably falling off their chairs laughing thinking of me and petals in the same sentence. 

one could apply that to many things food, private cars, private jets....... a slippery slope indeed