Upper Suite Benefits

oh2cruise

3 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Enjoy the boat ride. The beds have sheets on them. Watch a sunset (or two). Eat some food. Have a drink. Chill.

Much peace to all.

I book inside staterooms and that's my general cruise philosophy. But i still expect a decent level of service. If i chose to pay 10 X more for a suite, I'd be disgruntled if I didn't get the advertised perks , such as a helpful shoreside concierge or butler. 

No one here is talking about an employee's one bad day. They're discussing systemic drops in service over a week, a month a year. It sounds like there's 2 reasons for it .

---Individual employees who may be in the wrong line of work, just not good people pleasers..Just an employee who tries to get away with doing the bare minimum.

---The cruiseline cutting staff and also lowering the quality of products like food. Puts time constraints on good employees and lowers morale because passengers are complaining about missing drink choices, slow service, etc.

Also, thanks for making me laugh whenever i read your posts. I always know what you're gonna say.😀

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I book inside staterooms and that's my general cruise philosophy. But i still expect a decent level of service. If i chose to pay 10 X more for a suite, I'd be disgruntled if I didn't get the advertised perks , such as a helpful shoreside concierge or butler. 

No one here is talking about an employee's one bad day. They're discussing systemic drops in service over a week, a month a year. It sounds like there's 2 reasons for it .

---Individual employees who may be in the wrong line of work, just not good people pleasers..Just an employee who tries to get away with doing the bare minimum.

---The cruiseline cutting staff and also lowering the quality of products like food. Puts time constraints on good employees and lowers morale because passengers are complaining about missing drink choices, slow service, etc.

I agree with you, we love the Celebrity product.  But we recognize that many things Celebrity are not the same as they were "pre-Covid"  (also true in the rest of the world).  If the Shoreside Concierge is inconsistent as it appears it may be becoming at times, perhaps it should be offered to only the Upper Suites at least until they have enough trained staff to do the job properly.  

I work in the hospitality industry, managing a resort on the east coast of Florida.  To say that finding employees is incredibly difficult these days is putting it mildly.  It is near impossible to find and hold onto quality employees, no matter what your pay level is. Our level of service is dependent on having a fully trained staff, which takes far more than a day or two.  I am certain that the same is true for Celebrity and all the cruiselines.  These days, it seems, we are in a constant state of training and putting some employees not fully trained out to do the job because the level of business dictates we must do it.  I have no doubt that Celebrity is in the same position.   

So we had a lousy shoreside concierge experience. Oh well?  It did not impact the cruise one iota because we handled the requests on our own with the butler and the Luminae Maitre'd.  Should we report it to corporate as @C-Dragons stated, absolutely agree and we will.... not to bash the employee but to let them know more work needs to be done in that regard.

We can't wait for our next Apex cruise in April.  Once more in a CS, perhaps things will be better in that regard by then, if not we will hop on board and just be very glad to be there. After all, every day above ground is a good day!!!😁

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I agree with you, we love the Celebrity product.  But we recognize that many things Celebrity are not the same as they were "pre-Covid"  (also true in the rest of the world).  
…………….

We can't wait for our next Apex cruise in April.  Once more in a CS, perhaps things will be better in that regard by then, if not we will hop on board and just be very glad to be there. After all, every day above ground is a good day!!!😁

That pretty much sums it up… 👍

Guest 4-2-N-8
4 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

Also, thanks for making me laugh whenever i read your posts. I always know what you're gonna say.😀

And that I understand. 

I'm trying out Celebrity in the coming months and I have no baseline from before. Hopefully, it's filled with good memories.

Not at all looking to anger anyone. Heck, the world just got through a pandemic.

It ain't (and I do mean "ain't") the old way for so much in life.

Just a different, and perhaps less stressful alternative view, even if I am paying full price for specific cabins with what I think have decent balconies, the so-called EVs.

Also, truth be told, I do not have an emotional support goose. Those things are way too noisy.

However, I do have a support cobra. The concentration it takes me to avoid being bitten allows for little time to think (or worry) about much else. I traded being an emotional wreck for insomnia, and I know that thing is around here somewhere!

Is there a bar on the boat, and preferably nearby? I just want a good bourbon drink. And a sunset. Maybe two. 😅

Edited by 4-2-N-8

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I agree with you, we love the Celebrity product.  But we recognize that many things Celebrity are not the same as they were "pre-Covid"  (also true in the rest of the world).  If the Shoreside Concierge is inconsistent as it appears it may be becoming at times, perhaps it should be offered to only the Upper Suites at least until they have enough trained staff to do the job properly.  

I work in the hospitality industry, managing a resort on the east coast of Florida.  To say that finding employees is incredibly difficult these days is putting it mildly.  It is near impossible to find and hold onto quality employees, no matter what your pay level is. Our level of service is dependent on having a fully trained staff, which takes far more than a day or two.  I am certain that the same is true for Celebrity and all the cruiselines.  These days, it seems, we are in a constant state of training and putting some employees not fully trained out to do the job because the level of business dictates we must do it.  I have no doubt that Celebrity is in the same position.   

So we had a lousy shoreside concierge experience. Oh well?  It did not impact the cruise one iota because we handled the requests on our own with the butler and the Luminae Maitre'd.  Should we report it to corporate as @C-Dragons stated, absolutely agree and we will.... not to bash the employee but to let them know more work needs to be done in that regard.

I believe the shoreside concierge is already intended for upper level suites only.  The fact that they contact other suite levels sometime should not be considered a negative IMO.  Now ,it appears that some people believe it is suppose to be a benefit for all suites, when it is not.  The selection of the alcohol and mini bar contents and advanced no charge Speciality Restaurants are two of the most significant requirements and they only apply to upper level suites.  

My comment reference the Shoreside concierge contacting those with this include benefits not the process where you can call in if you are staying in the Retreat.  

Edited by jagoffee

35 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I believe the shoreside concierge is already intended for upper level suites only.  The fact that they contact other suite levels sometime should not be considered a negative IMO.  Now ,it appears that some people believe it is suppose to be a benefit for all suites, when it is not.  The selection of the alcohol and mini bar contents and advanced no charge Speciality Restaurants are two of the most significant requirements and they only apply to upper level suites.  

My comment reference the Shoreside concierge contacting those with this include benefits not the process where you can call in if you are staying in the Retreat.  

I suspect you may be right that it "was" intended for upper level suites.....and yet they are emailing, somewhat haphazardly all suite levels.  So it should either be redefined as "upper level" only and advertised that way or do it right for everyone, which is not happening.    We will not worry about whether we get contacted from here on out unless we happen to get lucky and book something above a CS.  Just happy to be able to cruise again...... the rest is all fluff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

I suspect you may be right that it "was" intended for upper level suites.....and yet they are emailing, somewhat haphazardly all suite levels.  So it should either be redefined as "upper level" only and advertised that way or do it right for everyone, which is not happening.    We will not worry about whether we get contacted from here on out unless we happen to get lucky and book something above a CS.  Just happy to be able to cruise again...... the rest is all fluff.

Agree….

A few things happened during the early post covid cruise that I think upset the previous known expectations for suites at different levels.

Firstly, in those first few cruises suites were not fully booked. Meaning generally a great staff to guest ratio.

We read several reports that RS/PH guests had been given unlimited access to the spa. Not normally a perk.

Several guests reporting room service from Luminae as a rule rather than an organised treat.

Several sky suite guests reporting free minibar and drink delivery service. In room drink service has never been standard even if in a higher suite…Again a treat rather than an expectation.

Guests in multiple suite categories reporting contact by the shoreside concierge rather than ‘always’ in a higher suite, sometimes in a CS and randomly in a SS.

From experience over many years there was a lot of ‘moving the bar’ on what you were ‘entitled to’ and what you received. Enabled by low numbers and a genuine desire to provide guests with exceptional service experiences….Now we are back to pre covid numbers, several staff on shore and on the ship with limited experience and the need to re-establish expectations…

One of the snags now is the Retreat is constantly full, some staff are not fully trained and some guests may anticipate that the service level they received on these start up cruises is the ‘norm’.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I could offer ad infinitum to nit pick human behavior.

And that's how you started out here...

11 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Now, I have my own service staff.

And hearing this yet again is just a tad annoying...at it's best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
58 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

And that's how you started out here...

And hearing this yet again is just a tad annoying...at it's best. 

Well, I think I've always been polite, even when offering an alternative perspective. My apologies if anyone has been offended. Never my intention. 

This being an open forum, I didn't know there were speech codes or things that shouldn't be stated.

I'm one of those proverbial "glass half full" types. Good fortune no doubt smiles on each of us in different ways. I try to find the good in people and in life.

Having said all this, and if it would help, I could post a daily gripe. If I do it enough, maybe I'll become an Elite Gripe'osaurus. 🦖

Hope your day is awesome and memorable otherwise. If you happen to be in the U.S., Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

@dlh015 For some strange reason, I just recalled the old Bugs Bunny cartoon....

"I am Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht". 😀

LOL. Love the old Bugs cartoons!

We are in a RS.  Received an email from the shoreside concierge.  I called.  Had a long wait time (it WAS a Monday) and then spoke to someone.  She was helpful and has followed up on my questions promptly with emails.  So, the issues the above posters had night be due to suite level.  Or it could be that we’re on a smaller ship so not as many suite guests overall.  

13 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

We are in a RS.  Received an email from the shoreside concierge.  I called.  Had a long wait time (it WAS a Monday) and then spoke to someone.  She was helpful and has followed up on my questions promptly with emails.  So, the issues the above posters had night be due to suite level.  Or it could be that we’re on a smaller ship so not as many suite guests overall.  

I think like anywhere, you are going to find excellent, well-trained shoreside concierges and others who either lack sufficient training or aren't in a job that matches their skillset.

I was in a penthouse on a smaller ship (the Constellation) and although he wasn't bad and most of our requests ultimately were passed on to the ship, it took him over a week and a followup from us before he ever got back to us and he wasn't particularly helpful in answering questions.  And then this survey I received this week about some phone call I supposedly had with him post-cruise (a phone call I did not have) was a bit odd.

• Like 1

When you request some things from the Shoreside Concierge and get on the ship to find only some have been handled it could be the SSC messed up or it could be the folks on the ship dropped the ball.  

It would be unlikely that the Suite Manager or Retreat Concierge would say , “yes Mr Royal Suite we got your request for 6 dinner reservations, a yoga mat, extra hangers, 2 bottles of Tanqueray 10, and a cheese plate at 4 on embarkation day, but we only had time to make the dinner reservations”. Easier to say “ we didn’t get that info but we will take care of it right away.”  Nicer yo be the hero vs the goat. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, 4-2-N-8 said:

While I am giving Celebrity a try in 2023 with two cruises, I am also trying their sister cruise line RCL for one cruise.

Decided to take my family (with two younger kids) on Harmony of the Seas. I booked the Royal Loft Suite and both Star Loft Suites. The balconies appear nice size, as do the rooms. I believe I am to have access to a "genie" of sorts to help facilitate my schedule. I understand that Coastal Kitchen is the assigned dining for my staterooms.

However, I also understand that my staterooms include unlimited dining venues. I expect to dine in all specialties for dinner. Was at least hoping Coastal Kitchen breakfast would be a viable option for my group.

Sounds like Coastal Kitchen will be as chaotic and overwhelmed as is Luminae on Celebrity, at least in terms of difficult to find seating and rushed servers. That's a shame.

So much for an elevated experience. 

We did SLS on Harmony this year. Yes balcony was awesome but cabin itself was a huge let down. Bathroom door does not open fully as it his the side of the bed and you have to stand on the top step of the stairs to get into the wardrobe. Our genie was disappointing to say the least. 

yes unlimited dining included. CK we tried for one breakfast and never went back to say it was slow is an understatement and it wasn’t even busy. The main difference with CK is you have to book dinner unlike Luminae where you can just turn up. 

Personally we will never sail Star Class with Royal again. Would rather book Sky class and buy a dining package. 

looking forward to our first PH on Beyond to see how it compares, but honestly can’t be any worse.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:51 AM, 4-2-N-8 said:

Great info. Had a concern about soot.

Other concern is the view over basketball court. I'll stick to the side view near the hot tub.

Good thing all dining options outside CK are included.

Would be ideal for genie to handle all three of my rooms. I think RCL would figure that out, but I'll prompt them otherwise.

Many thanks.

Definitely contact them about this. We were in CLS and the other cabins our genie had were aqua theater suites and I think the 4 bed vista suite.

Edited by Spurschick

Guest 4-2-N-8
7 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Definitely contact them about this. We were in CLS and the other cabins our genie had were aqua theater suites and I think the 4 bed vista suite.

Very much appreciate your feedback. Definitely making me consider possible alternatives since final payment not due as yet.

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

That would seem long(er) walks for the Genie.

I'm inclined still to move forward and try RCL with this ship for the kids. Would not attempt this line or ship as a couple (no offense to anyone, so please don't get riled up).

Thank you for your time.

4 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

That would seem long(er) walks for the Genie.

I'm inclined still to move forward and try RCL with this ship for the kids. Would not attempt this line or ship as a couple (no offense to anyone, so please don't get riled up).

Thank you for your time.

The ship is great for kids. Our honest opinion was what we got for Star class service was not worth the money. Our genie could never accommodate our requests on time as she was too busy running around the ship looking after her other guests. 

that’s why we are sailing CLS on our upcoming sailing  and only book sky class now and just add paying grats and dining package separate. That way our expectation levels are not ruining our experience.

Edited by Spurschick

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

The ship is great for kids. Our honest opinion was what we got for Star class service was not worth the money. Our genie could never accommodate our requests on time as she was too busy running around the ship looking after her other guests. 

that’s why we are sailing CLS on our upcoming sailing  and only book sky class now and just add paying grats and dining package separate. That way our expectation levels are not ruining our experience.

That's a nice alternative. Good thinking...

1 minute ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

That's a nice alternative. Good thinking...

Agreed as the suite concierge will still make reservations for shows, dining etc. our genie blocked off seats for comedy club and she put all her guests on bar stools instead of the comfy chairs. I’m shorter and suffer with a bad back so it made for a very uncomfortable evening. 

58 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Very interesting, and MUCH different experience than we had on Harmony traveling as a couple in the RLS and with our Genie. Sure, he was looking after the other guests but if we ever needed something, it was done. There were a few cases where we could see he was spending a lot more time with his other guests so we didn't have as much of a "personal" connection, but the level of service he provided us completely masked that "bias" in his attention.

For example, I sent him a message asking if we could possibly get lunch at Izumi. He said it was closed for the sushi making class, but would check. 10 minutes later he asks if we can be there ASAP (was towards the end of lunch time), so we headed down. Personally met by him and the Izumi manager who put us at a table and he (the Izumi manager) acted as our waiter.

Another day, my wife wanted to see about doing the skating, he again was able to get us in even though they were having a private session.

I would echo what a lot of others have said about RCL's Genies, sometimes you get "lucky" and have a fantastic one that will do absolutely anything and everything in their power (including asking for favors) to fulfill your requests.

We actually had a much different experience with our Butler on the Edge in a PH. While he was great, there were some hiccups, confusion, and a few other issues along the way.

At the end of the day, I think the experience for either RCL's Genies/Star Class or Celebrity Butlers comes down to their service, and your working with them. If either of those parts are lackluster, you end up with an entirely different experience than someone else!

All that said, we chose to go back to Celebrity because comparing the experience between RCL in an RLS and Celebrity in a PH on the Edge, it was just a MUCH nicer experience with Celebrity all around - ignoring the Genie/Butlers.

Just my two cents!

Edited by behtyas