Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

omahatxgirl

I have loaded the ArriveCan app to my phone, and although NCL no longer requires pre-embarkation COVID testing, it appears that Canada does, even if you are fully vaccinated.  Looks like the choices are a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding the ship or an antigen test 2 days before boarding.  We are arriving in Quebec late afternoon on Oct. 5th prior to our cruise beginning Oct 7th, so we will either have to get a PCR test the afternoon of Oct. 4th before we leave home or find somewhere in Quebec to do a rapid test on Oct. 6th.  For anyone else who is arriving ahead of your cruise, is this also your understanding of the testing requirements? I have a fear of being denied boarding.

We used Azova when traveling to proctor the free govt tests that we took with us.  They’ll also proctor a variety of tests purchased at pharmacies.  As long as you have a smartphone, it’s much easier than hunting for a testing company in a strange city.  We just did the tests in our hotel room using the hotel wifi.

https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Does anyone know how the 72 hour rule for PCR test works - i.e. what is considered "your scheduled boarding time" and how is it monitored?

Here is why I ask.  We have a cruise that departs Quebec City at 4:00 PM on a Sunday.  We board some time on Saturday for an overnight stay.  No boarding times have been assigned yet, but the Holland America website states check-in starts at 12:00 AM (midnight) on Saturday.  If I can use Saturday at 12:00 AM for my 72 hour window, I can get tested at home before I fly to Canada.  If I have to use a more realistic time of 12:30 PM (only a guess), then I need to find a way to tested after I arrive in Canada.

image.png.0e5d0cf12bc460d593df5eeca32085e6.png

image.png.8ccad93c115fb64496e435b73b381b43.png

Edited by Jersey42

For starters, HAL's itinerary creates confusion by showing check-in commencing at 12:00am. What they really mean is that check-in begins at 12:00pm (noon). Remember, the ship isn't even scheduled to arrive in Quebec City until 7:00am.

So, using noon Saturday as your starting point, you are good to take your PCR test at any time after noon on Wednesday, October 5.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

For starters, HAL's itinerary creates confusion by showing check-in commencing at 12:00am. What they really mean is that check-in begins at 12:00pm (noon). Remember, the ship isn't even scheduled to arrive in Quebec City until 7:00am.

What makes you think they really mean 12:00 PM when they use 12:00 AM in multiple places?  My thought was HAL might be trying to make it easier for people to meet the 72 hour requirement. This would make it equivalent to the three day requirement that HAL currently requires (until Sept 5) in the US.  Obviously no one can be boarding at anywhere close to midnight, so Canadian officials might have a problem with HAL declaring an impossible "scheduled boarding time" if it is to circumvent the 72 hour rule.

Do you know who checks the COVID test results?  Is it HAL employees like in the US, or is it Canadian officials?   Have you heard any rumors (or facts) that Canada might eliminate the negative COVID test requirement like they have in the US and most other countries?

For other reasons, we may end up changing our flight to Canada from Wed afternoon to Thursday, so non of this may matter for us.  

2 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

What makes you think they really mean 12:00 PM when they use 12:00 AM in multiple places? 

Common sense. Check-in for cruises at midnight makes absolutely no sense whatsoever when the ship isn't even in port and boarding couldn't possibly begin for several hours. People have no difficulty differentiating between "noon" and "midnight", but there are those that don't realize that 12:00am is generally considered to be midnight, not noon. I'd suggest that is the case here.

I'd also point out that this box from your earlier post states that the ship departs on October 8 at 12:00am, the same time that the itinerary shows check-in starting. Obviously there is some confusion on HAL's part as to both check-in and departure.

image.png.0e5d0cf12bc460d593df5eeca32085e6.png

Check-in, including vaccination and testing requirements, is handled by port staff, not Canadian authorities. 

The Canadian government has announced no plans to eliminate the test requirement in the immediate future. As the Canadian cruise season is almost over, don't expect to see any changes implemented until next Spring.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 1:30 PM, omahatxgirl said:

I have loaded the ArriveCan app to my phone, and although NCL no longer requires pre-embarkation COVID testing, it appears that Canada does, even if you are fully vaccinated.  Looks like the choices are a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding the ship or an antigen test 2 days before boarding.  We are arriving in Quebec late afternoon on Oct. 5th prior to our cruise beginning Oct 7th, so we will either have to get a PCR test the afternoon of Oct. 4th before we leave home or find somewhere in Quebec to do a rapid test on Oct. 6th.  For anyone else who is arriving ahead of your cruise, is this also your understanding of the testing requirements? I have a fear of being denied boarding.

Could you do your RAT test on the 5th prior to your flight to Canada? Not sure when your flight leaves…

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

People have no difficulty differentiating between "noon" and "midnight", but there are those that don't realize that 12:00am is generally considered to be midnight, not noon. I'd suggest that is the case here.

HAL is causing confusion saying 12:00 a.m. Railways long ago put an end to possible confusion by having trains depart at either 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m.  Canadian railways and others that use the 24-hour clock will say 23:59 or 00:01.  

It is best to avoid times of midnight or 12:00 noon  if at all possible. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

Could you do your RAT test on the 5th prior to your flight to Canada? Not sure when your flight leaves…

Unfortunately we leave too early in the AM for that option. Another post recommended having a proctored test with e-med after arrival which sounds like it might be the easiest way to go. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, omahatxgirl said:

Unfortunately we leave too early in the AM for that option. Another post recommended having a proctored test with e-med after arrival which sounds like it might be the easiest way to go. 

I'd recommend doing a RAT (unsupervised) before departure - what you really don't want to have happen is to fly to Canada and then test positive once you're here! (To be clear, this is in addition to the supervised test you'd do to meet the cruise line/government requirements.) 

Edited by neeuqdrazil
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, bookbabe said:

We used Azova when traveling to proctor the free govt tests that we took with us.  They’ll also proctor a variety of tests purchased at pharmacies.  As long as you have a smartphone, it’s much easier than hunting for a testing company in a strange city.  We just did the tests in our hotel room using the hotel wifi.

https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/

Thank you for this information! This seems like an easier option.  Maybe you or someone else can answer another question for me about test.  Can we take the Covid test in the US 72 hrs prior to arriving in Vancouver for boarding a cruise ship?  Or do we have to test in Canada? And since our cruise leaves from Vancouver, then visits Alaska ports, then returns to Vancouver to disembark, do we need another Covid test before disembarking from the ship?  I didn't realize how complicated this all gets when I booked this cruise!

39 minutes ago, endoellen said:

Thank you for this information! This seems like an easier option.  Maybe you or someone else can answer another question for me about test.  Can we take the Covid test in the US 72 hrs prior to arriving in Vancouver for boarding a cruise ship?  Or do we have to test in Canada? And since our cruise leaves from Vancouver, then visits Alaska ports, then returns to Vancouver to disembark, do we need another Covid test before disembarking from the ship?  I didn't realize how complicated this all gets when I booked this cruise!

For testing see https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise for current requirements. Your questions are answered at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test.

A test is not required to enter Canada. A test is required to board a cruise ship that ports in Canada. You will only need the one test for boarding. No test is required to disembark.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, endoellen said:

You will only need a negative test to board your ship at embarkation. While there is no requirement for the test to be conducted in Canada, the timing of the test is important and depends on the type of test taken:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained 
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained

Hopefully this resolves the issues you have with testing. Are you comfortable with the ArriveCAN requirements?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You will only need a negative test to board your ship at embarkation. While there is no requirement for the test to be conducted in Canada, the timing of the test is important and depends on the type of test taken:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time 
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday

Hopefully this resolves the issues you have with testing. Are you comfortable with the ArriveCAN requirements?

Thanks for all the info!  From some things I had read I thought we would need negative test to fly into Canada so if that's not necessary it makes it a bit easier!

This was one thing I read online:  Starting July 19, 2022: Mandatory random arrival testing resumes for air travellers qualified as fully vaccinated.   

I'm just learning about ArriveCAN & need to read more because I don't know all of the requirements yet.  I do know there is an app to download & I'm assuming certain info has to be entered prior to arrival in Canada.

We are planning on arriving to Vancouver 2 days before our cruise but our flight may be arriving later at night so looks like we would only have the day before or day of cruise to hopefully have a negative antigen test!! Any knowledge if there are pharmacies that offer it for reasonable cost in Vancouver cruise port area or downtown Vancouver?   I haven't booked the hotel yet so not sure of exact location now. If it's possible, since the flights I have been looking at leave NOLA in the afternoon, we might be able to get it done at Walgreens here at home before our flight & our results are emailed to us usually within 2 hrs. 

30 minutes ago, endoellen said:

This was one thing I read online:  Starting July 19, 2022: Mandatory random arrival testing resumes for air travellers qualified as fully vaccinated.   

Arrivals are randomly selected for testing. Don't worry about it. If selected you should get instructions for being tested. There is no cost for the test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, endoellen said:

We are planning on arriving to Vancouver 2 days before our cruise but our flight may be arriving later at night so looks like we would only have the day before or day of cruise to hopefully have a negative antigen test!! Any knowledge if there are pharmacies that offer it for reasonable cost in Vancouver cruise port area or downtown Vancouver?   I haven't booked the hotel yet so not sure of exact location now. If it's possible, since the flights I have been looking at leave NOLA in the afternoon, we might be able to get it done at Walgreens here at home before our flight & our results are emailed to us usually within 2 hrs. 

We used CVM right at the port (stayed at Pan Pacific) https://bookings.covid-medical.ca/#/customer/conventioncentre. The Fairmont Waterfront (right across the street) also had testing https://empowerclinics.com/covid19testing/

13 hours ago, endoellen said:

I'm just learning about ArriveCAN & need to read more because I don't know all of the requirements yet.  I do know there is an app to download & I'm assuming certain info has to be entered prior to arrival in Canada.

For an Alaskan cruise such as yours, it will be fairly straight forward. You will require two submissions, the first before flying into Canada and the second before boarding the ship in Vancouver. at the beginning of the cruise. The latter is to cover off your eventual arrival back in Vancouver at the end of the cruise. 

I'd suggest that you download and become familiar with the app now. You can enter such mandatory information as your passport details and proof of vaccination, and you could also enter a fictitious trip just to get the feel of it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's helpful information!  I appreciate it.  I've already downloaded the ArriveCan app & will get familiar with it.  I'll also do more checking on the Covid testing sites when it gets closer to our sail date.  Maybe things could change for the better by then😊

On 9/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, endoellen said:

Thanks for everyone's helpful information!  I appreciate it.  I've already downloaded the ArriveCan app & will get familiar with it.  I'll also do more checking on the Covid testing sites when it gets closer to our sail date.  Maybe things could change for the better by then😊

We used OnPoint Testing prior to the cruise we just disembarked from.  I brought the free government-issued test kits and purchased the proctored testing from OnPoint @ $18.04/pp (includes the 5% discount code). Once you have purchased the testing you will be able to choose a date and time.  A very friendly and professional healthcare tech walked us through the instructions and emailed the results within a couple of minutes of the completion of the process.  Our appointment time began at 10:15pm and we had our results at 10:28pm.

In Vancouver, All CVM locations are closing by the end of September. They will be reimbursing our tests for Oct 14. 

We now will book a RAT at a Shoppers Drug Mart near us. They are cheaper and an accepted Travel document on the cruise ships. You can only book by phone' and no sooner than 3 weeks prior to departure date. 

• Like 1