I thought I would see a lot of excitement over this. I am thrilled not to have to pre-cruise Covid test!

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, looks to me like testing is no longer required for vaccinated passengers for voyages from the US, UK, and EU, regardless of the length of the cruise.  Here's a cut and paste from the Princess website today:

Vaccination Status

Definition by Country's Health Authority

Pre-Travel Test Type &
When to Take Test Before Boarding

Voyages from the
U.S., UK, EU
Voyages with Enhanced Guidelines^

Fully Vaccinated*

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation.

Testing not required

Medically assisted Antigen or PCR within 3 days

Not Vaccinated

Not fully vaccinated are welcome to cruise. If cruise includes a Canadian port, an additional medical exemption is needed.

Self-administered Antigen OR medically assisted PCR within 3 days

Medically assisted Antigen or PCR within 3 days

Kids under 5 do not require pre-travel testing. Minimum age to sail is 6 months or 12 months based on cruise itinerary, review Passage Contract for details.

^Enhanced Guidelines Voyages include full Panama Canal transits, Trans-Ocean crossings, special voyages, Greek guidelines (voyages departing, arriving or visiting Greece), Canadian guidelines (voyages, arriving or visiting Canada).

* Note all Alaska voyages include Canada and must follow Canadian guidelines. For voyages departing, arriving or visiting Canada, please refer to the Canada table for Vaccination and Testing Requirements.

**The Greek government has their own testing requirements. For voyages departing, arriving or visiting Greece, please refer to the Greece table for Vaccination and Testing Requirements

CruiseHealth™ - Vaccination & Testing Requirements by Region - Princess Cruises

That's Princess.  Royal's is a little different.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

I'm glad the pre-test is gone. We have had the original vaccines and also the two booster shots. What bothered me was the fact is the possibility of getting a false positive on the pre-test. I had a false positive on a colon cancer test two years ago and had to have a colonoscopy which came back negative as I thought it would. 

Good, Great news for you on the negative colonoscopy. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, PCWalton1 said:

Actually we didn't mind the pre-test. It meant most of the cruisers were covid free at least at the start of the cruise. 😀 

I totally agree. Waiting to see the outcome of non testing and non vaccinated new rules. If there is an increase again we will be back to square 1. Our cruise isn't until next May so we have plenty of time to see how this plays out

Marg

Two weeks ago I was at an event in Las Vegas with approximately 25,000 attendee's.  Mask were required in all the spaces where event sponsored activities, spread across three hotels and Caesar's Forum, took place.  

A least a dozen of the people I had 'close contact' with during this even tested positive yet my test was negative on the Wednesday following my arrival home on Monday.  I did not have any symptoms and this past Saturday I tested negative as part of my Alaska cruise that sails today.  
I cannot explain, for instance why three of the six people I had dinner with the last night in town tested positive for COVID-19 within three days of arriving home and I never tested positive nor did three others at the same dinner.  Nor can I explain why four of the 10-12 people I spent the most time with in bars and socializing tested positive and the rest of us did not.  I do know that I received my second booster shot four days before leaving home to go to Las Vegas and I did wear a mask when I was around large groups of people and throughout the event I was attending except while eating or drinking.  

I am in favor or pre-cruise testing despite all of the comments and rationale others give for why it is not 100% effective at preventing the spread of COVID-19.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Two weeks ago I was at an event in Las Vegas with approximately 25,000 attendee's.  Mask were required in all the spaces where event sponsored activities, spread across three hotels and Caesar's Forum, took place.  

A least a dozen of the people I had 'close contact' with during this even tested positive yet my test was negative on the Wednesday following my arrival home on Monday.  I did not have any symptoms and this past Saturday I tested negative as part of my Alaska cruise that sails today.  
I cannot explain, for instance why three of the six people I had dinner with the last night in town tested positive for COVID-19 within three days of arriving home and I never tested positive nor did three others at the same dinner.  Nor can I explain why four of the 10-12 people I spent the most time with in bars and socializing tested positive and the rest of us did not.  I do know that I received my second booster shot four days before leaving home to go to Las Vegas and I did wear a mask when I was around large groups of people and throughout the event I was attending except while eating or drinking.  

I am in favor or pre-cruise testing despite all of the comments and rationale others give for why it is not 100% effective at preventing the spread of COVID-19.  

I was at a conference in Nashville back in May with over 2,000 attendees.  It's normally held twice a year, but had been on hiatus since 2020 except for one very poorly attended socially-distanced one last year.  Anyhow, we were all unmasked and there was a lot of hugging and handshaking going on among many of us old-timers in the industry.  We had plenty of tightly-packed events and dinners, plus two nights out in packed honky-tonks.  The Monday after, a mass email was sent out to all attendees urging us to test because there had been some reports of attendees with COVID.  I tested and was negative as were the others in my company that were there with me.  I spoke to two customers who I had spent a great deal of time with who had tested positive.  Neither had any symptoms and would not have known they had COVID except for being urged to test.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Williamsburgcruiser said:

Unless you're going to Bermuda.  Doesn't matter the length of the cruise, you must pre-test to get on board the ship. 😭

Yup and that's my next cruise.  Not that it's a biggie but if I wouldn't lose all my money I would cancel and take a different non test and non $40  cruise but it's too late now.  I'm just over the testing thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

My husband was showing symptoms of covid but hadn't tested yet (he's stubborn).  We were sleeping facing each other one morning and he sneezed right in my face.  I actually had to wipe my face.  He tested positive three days later.  I tested same day he tested positive.  Negative.  I tested again three days later.  Negative. Never showed any symptoms. How I didn't get it after having to wipe a covid infected sneeze off my face I'll never understand.

Edited by rdtpm64

I'm thankful that our next cruise (Nov) doesn't require a pre-test. We were testing at DH's doctor's office, waiting for lab results to be available, etc. It was stressful to do the day before flying. So much to do that day.

43 minutes ago, rdtpm64 said:

My husband was showing symptoms of covid but hadn't tested yet (he's stubborn).  We were sleeping facing each other one morning and he sneezed right in my face.  I actually had to wipe my face.  He tested positive three days later.  I tested same day he tested positive.  Negative.  I tested again three days later.  Negative. Never showed any symptoms. How I didn't get it after having to wipe a covid infected sneeze off my face I'll never understand.

Viruses are interesting aren't they. My husband had covid in the spring of 2020, then the omicron variant when that started to spread. Took care of him both times and never tested positive - antibody test was negative in the weeks to come as well. Son had omicron early spring, took care of him, same thing, negative covid test and antibody test was negative as well in the weeks to come. Not to mention I've since been exposed to several of my co-workers for work events, who tested + and the company email goes out, still nothing.

So OF COURSE curiosity gets the better of me and I start googling: turns out they've had some studies on people who get repeatedly exposed but never pick it up. Theory is that they've had severe coronaviruses in the past that may have allowed their bodies to get right to work destroying the virus, so they just don't get sick. I know there's still a lot to be discovered as far as COVID19 goes (since it affects everyone differently), but there are some interesting studies coming out here and there for sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Viruses are interesting aren't they. My husband had covid in the spring of 2020, then the omicron variant when that started to spread. Took care of him both times and never tested positive - antibody test was negative in the weeks to come as well. Son had omicron early spring, took care of him, same thing, negative covid test and antibody test was negative as well in the weeks to come. Not to mention I've since been exposed to several of my co-workers for work events, who tested + and the company email goes out, still nothing.

So OF COURSE curiosity gets the better of me and I start googling: turns out they've had some studies on people who get repeatedly exposed but never pick it up. Theory is that they've had severe coronaviruses in the past that may have allowed their bodies to get right to work destroying the virus, so they just don't get sick. I know there's still a lot to be discovered as far as COVID19 goes (since it affects everyone differently), but there are some interesting studies coming out here and there for sure.

100% agreed. My wife has has Covid 3 times due to her compromised immune system following cancer/chemo (all in remission thank the lord), and I was around her all of the time. Plus, I'm around patients with Covid and I have yet to have Covid. My antibodies are very high plus my blood type has been documented to have better resistance. Showing vax cards to board and cruisers believing people are "fully vaxed" is a false sense of security. My vax was a year and a half ago, yet I'm considered "fully vaxed" when the efficacy of the vax has worn off over a year ago.

8 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Precisely.  

It is still a somewhat free country, if you want a test, by all means take one.  Since it is a free country, you can’t make someone else do something you want them to do.  See how that works?

Pretty simple logic.

jc

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Showing vax cards to board and cruisers believing people are "fully vaxed" is a false sense of security. My vax was a year and a half ago, yet I'm considered "fully vaxed" when the efficacy of the vax has worn off over a year ago.

You are considered fully vaxxed, but not "up to date". I am in Amsterdam right now waiting to embark in 2 days. You would have had to test prior to entering the Netherlands as you are not "up to date". You are correct that the vaccines are doing a poor job of preventing infection from Omicron. I managed not to catch the original strain in July 2020 when both my wife and daughter caught it, but caught it on my last cruise after having my second booster 2 weeks before that cruise. Ran a slight fever for three days (100.8 the highest, low 99's for the most part). Not much coughing. Really only felt bad for a few days, mostly just the fever effects. But the virus absolutely destroyed the back of my throat. It pretty much ate away the surface skin layer, exposing muscle and blood vessels. It was a nightmare sight. But at least the Omicron strains appear to be confined to the nose and throat, compared to the damage the original was doing to the lungs. I really hope it works out OK with the cruise lines dropping testing and vaccination requirements.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'm not spending a week with all those other people, however. 

When I said: "Just about as covid free as that airplane, train, bus, taxi, airport terminal, grocery store, concert, sporting event, and everywhere else."  I was pointing out that covid is everywhere and here to stay. 

If anyone is concerned about catching covid and thinks that pre-cruise testing protects them, they should be wearing an N95 in all of the situations I mentioned above for protection as well. 

• Like 2

Like many, I too was quite happy to see this. We have 2 cruises planned this fall and on both cruises we'll be travelling with one of our children. While we'll be Florida for the month anyway, I was a bit nervous for my kids who will be flying down to meet us for the cruises. 

It takes a big pile of uncertainty off my shoulders and in truth, its time. People are going to ball games, hockey games, movies, restaurants, hotels, all-inclusives and so on. There's little point in singling out the cruise industry at this point.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

When I said: "Just about as covid free as that airplane, train, bus, taxi, airport terminal, grocery store, concert, sporting event, and everywhere else."  I was pointing out that covid is everywhere and here to stay. 

If anyone is concerned about catching covid and thinks that pre-cruise testing protects them, they should be wearing an N95 in all of the situations I mentioned above for protection as well. 

Agree 100%. I have a good friend who basically hasn't left the house in 2 years. No travel, restaurants, meeting people outside his family, no gym etc. While I think he's nuts, he's decided this is the best thing to do at this point. I reached the "time to get on with life" point when despite all my precautions, I got Covid anyway. I wore an N95 everywhere, stopped going to the gym, didn't eat out - all the stuff I was supposed to do. When I got it anyway I decided, it was time to move on and get back to normal. For me it was a really bad cold for about 3-4 days. Nothing I haven't dealt with a hundred times in my life.

16 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Agree 100%. I have a good friend who basically hasn't left the house in 2 years. No travel, restaurants, meeting people outside his family, no gym etc. While I think he's nuts, he's decided this is the best thing to do at this point. I reached the "time to get on with life" point when despite all my precautions, I got Covid anyway. I wore an N95 everywhere, stopped going to the gym, didn't eat out - all the stuff I was supposed to do. When I got it anyway I decided, it was time to move on and get back to normal. For me it was a really bad cold for about 3-4 days. Nothing I haven't dealt with a hundred times in my life.

The last time (I've had it 3 times, I believe, two for sure) I had COVID was over a year ago, all after the initial 2 Jabs.  The first time was verified by my Dr., and I didn't know I had it.  I took the test because we were going visit with my daughter and her family.  It was a complete surprise to us.  Yes, us.  My wife and I had it at the same time.  We didn't have a symptom, one!  

To make a long story short.  I now have long COVID.  I've had a runny nose since one of my COVID bout.  And it seems to get worse every time I get a mild cold.  I can't prove it, but I blame it on the Jab(s), 1 or all 3 of them.  There won't be a 4th. 

This is not to start a conversation of the efficacy of the shots or anything else, just facts.  

My first cruise is to Bermuda in October so I still will be testing and will be on a mostly vaccinated cruise since our cruise is almost sold out and Bermuda just changed their vaccination policy. This does make me feel a little safer for going on my first cruise in 3 years. I realize my chances of getting Covid are still high in a cruise environment though. Less chance of having to emergency evacuation of very sick individuals that can cause delays and missed ports. I’ll be watching what happens on cruises with larger numbers of unvaccinated since they are more likely to get sicker. Even though most are getting mild symptoms now there are still people in the ICU and dying. Although it’s much easier I do think doing a self test without a proctor is a joke. There will be people talking a picture of a negative test and using it for the whole family.

59 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Once I was vaxxed, I only wore a mask when required.  I've been on five cruises since the restart, several flights, many hotels, busses, subways, taxis, a circus, concerts, and numerous grocery stores. I have never had any symptoms.  The times I was tested - pre cruise - were all negative.  With more decades behind me than ahead of me, there's no time to waste hiding.

• Like 2