Cruise Guest Listings

iramack

Hello all.....................

Question here about gust listings compiled by the cruisellne of names of fellow passengers on a specific sailing taken in the recent past.

I seem to recall in the good old days that a list was sometimes provided with the final on board charges statement........?   Is my memory faulty???  Yes!   LOL!  BUT that's another topic for another forum.  

I was recently on Ovation for two weeks in Norway and met several nice people that I socialized with, but didn't get (or remember) their last names.  Just first names and city of residence.

Any idea if Seabourn will provide a list of pax and city of residence (not full address) if requested???

Thanks in advance.

Steve in Dallas

Seabourn used to publish a booklet with the names and town of passengers who consented during each cruise. I still have a few. That stopped in the last 3-4 years. 

You used to get a form a couple of days into the cruise asking if you would like to be listed.  The brochure would appear the next day or so. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, marazul said:

Seabourn used to publish a booklet with the names and town of passengers who consented during each cruise. I still have a few. That stopped in the last 3-4 years. 

You used to get a form a couple of days into the cruise asking if you would like to be listed.  The brochure would appear the next day or so. 

I remember it well.  Those were the days!   😊😊😊

5 hours ago, visagrunt said:

Short answer:  No.

Privacy laws will prohibit dealing with passengers' personal information in that way.

Actually the short answer is ....Yes....we did get them for many years! Just before Covid they changed to an Electronic version so instead of printed, it was via email. It wasn't "Compulsory" so no privacy laws comes into it, although the high majority of Guests took part. I haven't sailed since the return "post Covid" so maybe just something they haven't caught back up with yet. Might be time to remind them!!

I don't imagine they are being done at present, with shortage of staff etc. to deal with something not really necessary, but they were useful.  You did have to give your permission to be in the list, so it was not an intrusion on anyone's privacy, and it was sometimes interesting to see what titles people had which  you had not known (Seabourn passengers usually not boasting about themselves) and I think there was also a list of the numbers from various countries.  I remember receiving them within a week of embarkation.  It also listed the Officers and senior staff on board.

3 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Actually the short answer is ....Yes....we did get them for many years! Just before Covid they changed to an Electronic version so instead of printed, it was via email. It wasn't "Compulsory" so no privacy laws comes into it, although the high majority of Guests took part. I haven't sailed since the return "post Covid" so maybe just something they haven't caught back up with yet. Might be time to remind them!!

Yes, can confirm we received it via email on our last SB cruise which was December 2019. 

• Like 1

We last received in 2019.  We cruised both in 2021 and 2022 and there was never a consent form for a passengers list and no passengers list.

Yes, the titles were interesting.  Not long ago there was a Royal Highness from a now defunct monarchy.  

21 minutes ago, marazul said:

We last received in 2019.  We cruised both in 2021 and 2022 and there was never a consent form for a passengers list and no passengers list.

Yes, the titles were interesting.  Not long ago there was a Royal Highness from a now defunct monarchy.  

Titles?  Seriously?  

I would miss the lists of guests as it was always interesting to see how many places everyone was from.  

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, mainly Doctors, Sirs, Ladies and Professors.

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, mainly Doctors, Sirs, Ladies and Professors.

I get it.  But, can't imagine Professors using that title on a list of passengers.  Our daughter in law is a professor, but would never put that on a general listing of names.  It's only pertinent in academia.  Doctors usually do put that before their name--but not always socially.  They often just go by their first and last name in a casual setting.   And of course we have no Sirs  or Ladies in the United States and have some difficulty with that kind of thing.  I

1 hour ago, marazul said:

This summer, June/July, we sailed with a Count and Countess.   They are a very interesting couple, and we enjoyed their company.  

• Like 1

A Professor in the UK is not at all the same as one in the USA.  In the UK they are someone like the Head of a Department, not a fairly junior member of staff, who would be a lecturer.  And they would be addressed by their title in 'real life' as well.  Doctors are often, of course, a PhD and not necessarily medical.

I have to admit to a personal interest here; sorry if it sounds a bit snooty.  And, naturally, they would not introduce themselves to anyone using their title, or mention it unless it came up in conversation.

• Like 2

lincslady is not being at all snooty here - she is quite correct - Professor in the UK and Europe is the highest possible academic accolade or title. It is of greater status than a knighthood (e.g. one is addressed as 'Professor Sir John Smith').

It is sad that the passenger lists are defunct, we always enjoyed getting them, for the reasons mentioned above. 

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

A Professor in the UK is not at all the same as one in the USA.  In the UK they are someone like the Head of a Department, not a fairly junior member of staff, who would be a lecturer.  And they would be addressed by their title in 'real life' as well.  Doctors are often, of course, a PhD and not necessarily medical.

I have to admit to a personal interest here; sorry if it sounds a bit snooty.  And, naturally, they would not introduce themselves to anyone using their title, or mention it unless it came up in conversation.

It's all ok, just very different from how it is done in the United States.  We do not address the head of a department (a professor) or the head of a scientific lab at a university with a PhD (our daughter in law) as professor even though they are that.  Their student's might do that and it might be done on university campuses, but not in regular society  socially, or on a cruise ship. There may be some who would LIKE to be addressed that way--but it is considered a bit pretentious outside of their own academic circles.  I recognize that there are differences and it is ok.  It DOES sound very snooty to some of us in the United States because we don't have a more rigid class system with royalty, aristocracy, dukes, earls, etc.  At the same time, I do find it interesting as a part of the social history of both countries.  If and when SB resumes the guest list, I will pay attention.  I didn't mean to sound as strident as I did--it is just a difference that stands out to me.  

Edited by SLSD

No booklets any more. On the Seabourn Source App there is a chat function for guests onboard. You can type in a first name, e.g. Ann and the full names of all Ann's on board will pop up. So one could take a note of the last name and/or send a message (or make your own passenger list by trying a lot of first names.... 😘. ) However, that function shuts down on disembarkation day.

1 minute ago, MJN1 said:

No booklets any more. On the Seabourn Source App there is a chat function for guests onboard. You can type in a first name, e.g. Ann and the full names of all Ann's on board will pop up. So one could take a note of the last name and/or send a message (or make your own passenger list by trying a lot of first names.... 😘. ) However, that function shuts down on disembarkation day.

Is it possible to opt out of that chat function?(Asking for a friend 😉)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Is it possible to opt out of that chat function?(Asking for a friend 😉)

Don't know, but one can always ask @ the SB Square.

Also not sure how many App users actually are aware of this function. The "button" looked like a "chat with a staff member/robot" one to us. I only found out that it is pax-to-pax when a CC member on board replied to an old fashioned hand-written note (sent to her via the Square) via the App.

• Thanks 1

To clarify - I am referring to people's names and titles when written down, as when you get mail , or if you are put on a written list.   Normally in the UK you get a dropdown asking if you are a Mr., Mrs..  Ms.,  Doctor, Professor etc.  Nothing to do with what is spoken - although ship's staff occasionally do call you by the title when they have seen the list, which is actually embarrassing when you are in company and have just used your first name, as we all tend to do on board.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lincslady said:

To clarify - I am referring to people's names and titles when written down, as when you get mail , or if you are put on a written list.   Normally in the UK you get a dropdown asking if you are a Mr., Mrs..  Ms.,  Doctor, Professor etc.  Nothing to do with what is spoken - although ship's staff occasionally do call you by the title when they have seen the list, which is actually embarrassing when you are in company and have just used your first name, as we all tend to do on board.

I understand.  I do think that Mr. Mrs. Ms. titles are becoming used less frequently in the United States.  You still see it, but a lot of mail arrives with just a first and last name.  And, if I was sending a letter to a friend, I would address it with just a first and last name.  Changing culture.  No comment if that is a good or bad thing.  I am not surprised that SB would go for the title--especially if they think their guests would like that.  Such a small point really.  I'm really sorry if I sounded hostile toward it.  I'm not.  Just noting that titles seem to be especially important in the UK.  I probably noticed because I've been reading several books about facets of UK society lately.