Wow - things have changed

We took a break from cruising when we had kids. They have always loved our annual Mexico, Jamaica and DR trips,  now that our boys are older (10+15) and they claim "all inclusive beach" vacations are for old people.  We returned from Universal Orlando last week and they loved it after being away from there for about 4 years. We thought we would try a cruise. We were looking at the Oasis class ships since there are a lot activities for them.  

I can figure out the staterooms I want that is easy (ocean view balcony X 2) but what I cannot figure out is what's included.    I saw there dinner packages, you have to pay extra for dinner now?   Where do I find what activities are free, and what costs extra money?    I am not partial to any cruise line, i thought Royal Caribbean looked like it would be the most fun (non-disney) but if I should look elsewhere let me know.  tips are not included anymore?  

Is there a link somewhere that's for us people who haven't cruised in 15 years, so much has changed.  What can't I find a page that breaks this down easy for me.  🙂  

There are so many free dining options on the Oasis class ships you don't even need to think about the "dinner packages."  You have the main dining room, the Windjammer buffet, the Solarium, pizza, to choose from  and even more options during the day.  Yes, there are specialty dining restaurants you can pay extra for, but it's definitely not necessary.  I think the kids would have a ball.  We keep an eye out on different travel agencies that may offer perks including free gratuities and ship board credit, but you would have to research those as they aren't always available.  If there's a ship you're interested in, go to YouTube and search for tours of that ship and you will learn a lot 🙂 

Edited by zoepipes

23 minutes ago, CanadianMAG said:

thank you! this was helpful. 

Tips were never included. You asked if they stopped including them. Ncl and celebrity offer more inclusive but higher prices. 

My favorite places to eat on oasis class johnny rockets free for breakfast but get there early. Hash browns are my favourite and very filling. Onions and peppers in them you can order eggs or bacon or sausage on the side. 

Cafe in the promenade had little bags of chips and they made sandwiches. I'm not a fan of sandwiches but the roast beef were good. Pre covid there was a fast food place your kids might like. Might only still be on allure. I don't do not dogs. Now it's been mostly replaced by some new place fresh and go or someone I'm sure will be along to tell me how wrong I am. It has mexican free now instead. 

I got allure coming up in dec and next sept and then harmony late 2023. It's been a while .. I cant wait. 

36 minutes ago, CanadianMAG said:

We took a break from cruising when we had kids. They have always loved our annual Mexico, Jamaica and DR trips,  now that our boys are older (10+15) and they claim "all inclusive beach" vacations are for old people.  We returned from Universal Orlando last week and they loved it after being away from there for about 4 years. We thought we would try a cruise. We were looking at the Oasis class ships since there are a lot activities for them.  

I can figure out the staterooms I want that is easy (ocean view balcony X 2) but what I cannot figure out is what's included.    I saw there dinner packages, you have to pay extra for dinner now?   Where do I find what activities are free, and what costs extra money?    I am not partial to any cruise line, i thought Royal Caribbean looked like it would be the most fun (non-disney) but if I should look elsewhere let me know.  tips are not included anymore?  

Is there a link somewhere that's for us people who haven't cruised in 15 years, so much has changed.  What can't I find a page that breaks this down easy for me.  🙂  

You'll probably want to do a good amount of reading on these forums, it's also neat to look up specific ship tours on youtube.  Also, the easiest way to see the ships (ages and sizes) for various cruiselines is probably on their wiki page.  Oasis (or maybe quantum, the next size down) class RC ships are a good choice.  Similarly, the newer, larger Norwegian ships are good for teens.  Carnival's very newest ships rival these others, but Carnival does get a lot of families with kids/teens, so I wouldn't rule them out either.  They all provide dinner.  Royal and NCL have really good dinner buffets too (not that many choices on Carnival buffet).   But the Oasis class Royal ships are a good choice, if the price and logistics work for you, that is as good of a choice as any.  The websites for each cruiseline show what is included and what costs extra for each ship.

There should be a "fine print" on any cruise search that says something like "price includes cruise, port fees, but not government taxes, gratuities, excursions......." etc.

Included food is available for all meals.  We rarely do a specialty restaurant or other pay-for items.

The biggest costs beyond the price of the cruise is probably gratuities, which can be paid for ahead of time, and excursions, if you choose to do any.  Some people buy beverage packages.  Many family-friendly beverages can be had free of charge (juice, coffee, tea, iced tea, etc.)  On a big ship there will be some rides and activities for which there is a charge.

11 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Many family-friendly beverages can be had free of charge (juice, coffee, tea, iced tea, etc.)  On a big ship there will be some rides and activities for which there is a charge.

thank you! we only drink water, juices and tea. We are not pop people, so this is good to know.  

thanks again

• Like 1

Some of the free entertainment on the Oasis class ships include the Aqua show (water and diving show in the Aqua theater, only available on Oasis-class ships); the ice-skating show (which I love); the adult comedy club show; a Broadway musical show; and different headliners (ventriloquists, singers, comedians). 

2 hours ago, CanadianMAG said:

One thing you probably are not aware of is that Royal has moved to non refundable deposits.  If you cancel the sailing prior to final payment you lose the entire deposit.  If you move the sailing to another ship or sail date there is a $100pp penalty.  You can book refundable rates however they are more expensive.  You find this when you go to book online on the page right where you enter your credit card info or just before that.

• Like 2

I was in much of the same situation as you. We went on cruises almost yearly then stopped for about 15 years before going on one again a few months ago. 
While there is more that you can spend extra money on, there is also A lot more to do that is included. Things like the flow rider, Rock climbing and other free activities are on ships now that were not 15 years ago.  We never ate in any of the specialty restaurants and I thought the main dining room experience was just as good as I remembered from prior cruises. Buffet restaurants now have a lot more variety than they did a decade ago.  Don’t feel like you have to spend a lot over the basic cruise fare to have an enjoyable vacation.  Just getting back on one of the newer ships now you will be amazed by how much more there is to do. 
I don’t have time now to write a comprehensive list of what is included and what cost extra these days, but I’m sure an internet search would come up with a summary. 
Bottom line is things that I remember being included before are still included. Some of the new experiences that they have added cost extra, some have  been added for free.

• Like 2

Just something to think about, I paid for an Oceanview balcony for my kids. 🙃 I realized that it was a waste for them. They were perfectly happy with an interior room across the hall. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Sometimes if you get a great group rate, there is no difference but if booking with directly with Royal, you can save some $$$ w/interior room. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CanadianMAG said:

I saw there dinner packages, you have to pay extra for dinner now? 

Here is a break down of free dining vs for-fee dining, along with $$$$ scale to indicate how expensive each one is. You'll be able to purchase a specialty dining package to reduce the cost but if this is your first cruise in 15 years, plenty of free options before  you become bored.

https://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/ship/oasis-of-the-seas/dining/

For some odd reason it includes room service as a "free" dining option. I guess technically true but you'll pay delivery & gratuities.

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I like the way people toss around the word "free" here.  None of it is free.  A lot of it is included.

Good point and duly noted. I could argue that everything is included as well, it's just that some things cost a bit more to be included. 

But I won't.  Honestly, I'm a lazy typist so it's easier for me to write "free" vs "included in the base price". 🙂

• Like 4

Just go with the included food and beverage and see what was lacking , if any,

and next time you can purchase the extra packages if you want. 

I like how you referred to pop , as opposed to soda ... very Canadian 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I like the way people toss around the word "free" here.  None of it is free.  A lot of it is included.

I think we all understand the context of “free” as it applies here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But to be fair, Cruise ship's are having a lot of staffing problems..as well that you should know unlike 15 years ago...Tips are per person.billed daily to your account

So for a family of four would be over $400.00 for your cabin..Just something to think about!!