Is Paxlovid Given on Board to Covid patients?

LewiLewi

One could probably request it, if they were willing to pay for it, about $500 for a course, and the associated tested, since the ships Doctors would not have their medical history. Figure $1000 +

We just returned from a Zaandam cruise on which we caught Covid--while masked 100% when indoors on the ship & excursions...........

We were not offered Paxlovid, or any other anti-viral.  We were told we could buy cough medicine.  We were moved from our inside room to a 6th floor balcony.  The doctor called 4 out of 5 mornings to see how we were.  The cruise ended on day 5 in the US, so we were released from quarantine & sent on our way.  We were deeply unhappy with the way it was handled.

Fortunately, I had the forethought to take Paxlovid with us.  I asked our PCP to prescribe it when she did our proctored test for the cruise.  She was a bit reluctant because of the possibility of rebound, but I'm so glad she did. 

We filled it b/4 we left and included it in our "Covid kit" that included 10 rapid tests, a pulse oximeter, a thermometer, decongestant, sore throat drops, pain relievers.  ALL came in handy.  DH's O2 saturation rate dropped to 92 & he had a fever of 100.2 as his first symptoms.

Others in quarantine told us at disembarkation that they still felt poorly, but we were feeling really well.  So far, so good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

We just returned from a Zaandam cruise on which we caught Covid--while masked 100% when indoors on the ship & excursions...........

We were not offered Paxlovid, or any other anti-viral.  We were told we could buy cough medicine.  We were moved from our inside room to a 6th floor balcony.  The doctor called 4 out of 5 mornings to see how we were.  The cruise ended on day 5 in the US, so we were released from quarantine & sent on our way.  We were deeply unhappy with the way it was handled.

Fortunately, I had the forethought to take Paxlovid with us.  I asked our PCP to prescribe it when she did our proctored test for the cruise.  She was a bit reluctant because of the possibility of rebound, but I'm so glad she did. 

We filled it b/4 we left and included it in our "Covid kit" that included 10 rapid tests, a pulse oximeter, a thermometer, decongestant, sore throat drops, pain relievers.  ALL came in handy.  DH's O2 saturation rate dropped to 92 & he had a fever of 100.2 as his first symptoms.

Others in quarantine told us at disembarkation that they still felt poorly, but we were feeling really well.  So far, so good.

Thank you for this information. I hope that our pCP will also give us Paxlovid before we leave on our cruise. I don't know why they are reluctant to do so; we will be cruising for 60 days, anything is possible. We also intend to be very careful, mask and avoid crowds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Not everyone is a candidate for Paxlovid. Some types of meds and other physical conditions don’t allow it to be prescribed. 

This is true--and, research shows that it doesn't do much of anything for those under 65 [Israeli study].

It's for those with pre-existing conditions that may result in hospitalization or death due to covid, so age [65+], obesity, high BP, etc.

DH & I each have 3 common risk factors:  age, obesity, & treatment for mild HBP.

His med for HBP had no interaction.

My cholesterol med & HBP med do interact, so the procedure was to stop taking those meds for the 5 days of the Paxlovid.

Neither of us had any problems following this procedure.

This info is on the internet & I suggest that you look it up so you can discuss it with your doc.

My doc didn't think my HBP med was an issue, but seeing it on the list for myself made me feel better about not taking it for the 5 days.  Again, my HBP is pretty minor, so I wasn't in danger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Docs vary a lot on this issue.  Even though it's technically free, it's ideally to be dispensed to people with an active infection.  I'm sure the government doesn't really want people to have it "just in case", but we were uncomfortable traveling to Canada, on a ship, without it, and with no way to get it. I'm very thankful that I nudged our PCP,  believe me.

We are confident that we got infected on a shore excursion.  We were on a bus all day--about 35 people--where only 10 of us wore masks.  It was a wet, rainy day.  Air circulation was poor.  The servers at lunch were not masked and for the first time, we were forced to have 2 table mates [neither wearing masks].  We went to an historic home that was packed to the gills--again, poor air circulation, many unmasked "strangers" passing through rooms--and then to an overcrowded creamery where we had to stand in a long line for ice cream with more "strangers".  When not eating ice cream--which we did outside--we remained masked.

We've since canceled 2 cruises that originate & terminate in Canada because of their 10 day quarantine should we be infected again.

When we cruise again, we'll embark & debark in the US and we won't go on any excursion that requires an enclosed bus, a common lunch where we have to sit with others [especially inside], or a venue that is small/tight that will be crowded with other tourists.

We did everything the way we should have, short of not going on the cruise at all and/or not going on any shore excursions with others.  We masked everywhere, including public restrooms, ate outside, used the stairs most of the time, etc.  It's a real crapshoot with the super infectious circulating variants, & we lost this round--and it's infuriating at this point, 2.5 yrs. into this cluster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

We did everything the way we should have, short of not going on the cruise at all and/or not going on any shore excursions with others.  We masked everywhere, including public restrooms, ate outside, used the stairs most of the time, etc.  It's a real crapshoot with the super infectious circulating variants, & we lost this round--and it's infuriating at this point, 2.5 yrs. into this cluster.

I'm not sure how to take this. COVID is still with us, whatever people might like to think. And because we were not able to stop the virus by shut-downs or vaccination (too many people did not participate in either), the virus is still circulating and will continue to evolve.  

Surely you did your research and knew how COVID would be handled on a cruise if you were infected?  It's the risk one takes if one wants to travel at this moment in time. So -- you pays your money and you takes your chances....

We chose to do no tours on our cruise this year.  Didn’t want to be on a bus with others.  There are many, many ports where you can enjoy the town, surroundings without being on a tour.  We often go to a local library.  Found my husband’s ancestors in  books in library in Scotland.  Wish other people would try different things than walking behind a guide with a sign!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Good news, though, that the new booster should be available within the next week or two.

Yes, both Pfizer and Moderna have new vaccines combining their old vaccines with new about to be approved. i believe Pfizer's approval is for 12 and over while Moderna is for 18 and over.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not sure how to take this. COVID is still with us, whatever people might like to think. And because we were not able to stop the virus by shut-downs or vaccination (too many people did not participate in either), the virus is still circulating and will continue to evolve.  

Surely you did your research and knew how COVID would be handled on a cruise if you were infected?  It's the risk one takes if one wants to travel at this moment in time. So -- you pays your money and you takes your chances....

Well, thank you for your very thoughtful comment.  You hear my sarcasm, don't you?

I did a ton of research.  I know how Covid SHOULD have been handled--and has been handled on other ships.  It was handled POORLY in our case because there is NO consistency between ships/cruise lines, etc.  I don't think that consistency is too much to ask at this point.

Feel free to ignore any of my future posts.

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, both Pfizer and Moderna have new vaccines combining their old vaccines with new about to be approved. i believe Pfizer's approval is for 12 and over while Moderna is for 18 and over.

Yes, boosters are wonderful things.  I believe that having had the 2 available to us led to "mild" infections.

That said, boosters don't prevent you from being infected.  They merely make it less likely to develop severe disease or death.

If the cruise lines continue to drop vaccine requirements......well, they'll have to deal with even sicker cruisers--and after our experience, it's clear that they're in no way prepared to do that.

• Like 3

We have posted, for the past 2 years, a very simple philosophy regarding COVID and travel.  For those who are postponing their travel/cruise plans I would toss out a simple thought, "What do you think will change in 1 year, 2 years, or following years.?    Experts (and lots of experience) tell us that this virus (like all Coronaviruses) will likely be with us for many years if not forever.  So folks either learn to live with this virus just like we live with other viruses (i.e. flu, norovirus, cold viruses, etc) or they will choose to alter their life plans.  

As this point it does seem that we will continue to have vaccines for COVID, but we now know that these vaccines (like flu vaccines) are not 100% effective.  So there will likely always be a COVID risk just like we always have a flu risk (even if vaccinated).  

Hank

• Like 5

Just a comment about Paxlovid. DW and I are in high risk groups where this drug is generally recommended by medical professionals.  This past week I visited with my family physician and brought up the issue that we had several cruises (in the next few months) and we had some concerns about the availability of Paxlovid (which our physician strongly recommends for DW and myself).  His reaction was to quickly give us a prescription for the drug and suggested we carry it whenever we travel/cruise.  So my suggestion to those who share our concern is to contact your own physician and ask his/her advice.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/1/2022 at 1:45 AM, OHCruiser said:

We took precautions, took no shore excursions. I realized I had caught Covid on a Celebrity cruise in April when I woke up with a sore throat on disembarkation day, confirmed shortly thereafter by testing at home.  DH a few days later. 

Never seemed “infuriating” to me. Life always is a crapshoot. I continue to be very glad that in the past 2.5 years “into this cluster,” pharmaceutical companies rapidly developed vaccines and treatments that enabled me to resume activities like cruising and to survive.when I contracted the virus. 

I agree with Hank. It’s with us to stay. We all have to either live with it or alter our plans. 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:45 AM, OHCruiser said:

… I'm very thankful that I nudged our PCP,  believe me.

We are confident that we got infected on a shore excursion…The servers at lunch were not masked and for the first time, we were forced to have 2 table mates [neither wearing masks]…

@OHCruiserglad you are okay. I recall earlier this year, some chatter about PCPs prescribing Paxlovid in advance. Not everyone has been able to get it, but it’s helpful hearing of those who have been.

Do you happen to know if your table mates were also infected? I wouldn’t be happy in these times if I were “forced” to share a table. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

For those who are postponing their travel/cruise plans I would toss out a simple thought, "What do you think will change in 1 year, 2 years, or following years.?    Experts (and lots of experience) tell us that this virus (like all Coronaviruses) will likely be with us for many years if not forever.  So folks either learn to live with this virus just like we live with other viruses (i.e. flu, norovirus, cold viruses, etc) or they will choose to alter their life plans. 

But don't you know it's so much more fun to blame others when you catch the virus?  If only folks would have followed this!  Cruise lines should have implemented this!  I wish I had the cruise ship to myself!

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a comment about Paxlovid. DW and I are in high risk groups where this drug is generally recommended by medical professionals.  This past week I visited with my family physician and brought up the issue that we had several cruises (in the next few months) and we had some concerns about the availability of Paxlovid (which our physician strongly recommends for DW and myself).  His reaction was to quickly give us a prescription for the drug and suggested we carry it whenever we travel/cruise.  So my suggestion to those who share our concern is to contact your own physician and ask his/her advice.

Hank

This is exactly what we did and I'm extremely grateful for having done so.

7 hours ago, 1pinehurst said:

My wife was treated with cough medicine on the ship for one night in Quarantine and then we were transported to The Sheraton Vancouver Airport  for 10 nights of Quarantine. Never a word from Holland America.

This ^^^^^^^ is what I find so terribly unacceptable. 

This ^^^^^^^ is why--if, and when, we cruise again during Covid that is "surging" [and I doubt that]--we will not embark or debark in Canada, or any other country that requires >5 days of quarantine.

Please keep us posted on how the charges for your quarantine are handled--by HAL, by travel insurance [thru HAL or other], etc.

I hope your wife had/has an uneventful recovery.

9 hours ago, syesmar said:

@OHCruiserglad you are okay. I recall earlier this year, some chatter about PCPs prescribing Paxlovid in advance. Not everyone has been able to get it, but it’s helpful hearing of those who have been.

Do you happen to know if your table mates were also infected? I wouldn’t be happy in these times if I were “forced” to share a table. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sadly, no, I don't know if they were infected. 

They were 2 from a family of 6....including 2 teen daughters, one of whom seemed extremely tired and curled up sleeping most of the time on the bus--my husband's primary initial symptom was extreme fatigue.  I won't lie, it makes me wonder if she was infectious at the time....

Let's face it, the prospect of onboard and portside quarantine is a bit scary.  We honestly debated self-quarantine without reporting it when we tested ourselves & my DH was +.  We had exactly 5 days left on the cruise.  We knew that per US policy, we could disembark, wear masks, and head home.  We had medication, more tests, a pulse oximeter, and Paxlovid--probably the only people on the ship with such an extensive "Covid Kit" just in case.  

BUT, we also knew that wasn't the right thing to do [we were probably pollyanna-ish in thinking that the ship might do some tracing & notification of close contacts.....like a bus full of people...haha]. 

We also figured that days of in room dining would trigger a call or visit from someone and we weren't going to lie about the circumstance.

I guarantee you that there were people on the ship doing just that--having no tests themselves, attributing their illness to allergies or cold, and going about their business because....if it's not confirmed then they don't have it.

This is what we've come to and it's pretty sad.

• Like 2