Any chance of seeings auroras mid September from a cruise ship?

spleenstomper

Hi, everyone.  The prices are so good, I’m thinking about booking a HAL cruise on September 11 (7 days, including Hubbard glacier).  Seeing auroras is on my bucket list.  Has anyone seen them from the cruise ship before? Thanks

Edited by spleenstomper

There is always a chance...particularly given there was just a major solar event that caused them to be seen in the northern part of the continental US.

But, as always, and most importantly,  the conditions have to be aligned. I wouldn't expect it to happen. 

• Thanks 1

If its truly on your bucket list, save your money and take a trip to Iceland or the Northwest Territories during winter months. Still not 100% you'll get to see them, but a lot better than from a cruise ship off Alaska in September.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We saw the Northern Lights just 22 years ago this past August 28th!!!

We were on a HAL ship and it was about 9:00 or 10:00 pm and we were leaving a port; sorry, I do not remember which port. I think I was basically the first to notice, then I spread the word. About 30 minutes later, the Captain announced it.

So................ just be on the lookout.

• Like 2

Three years ago we saw the Northern Lights while on a Celebrity cruise the first week of September.  The captain made the announcement around 11:00 -11:30 pm.  People went up on deck in their pajamas to see them.  They were great!  My daughter in law got some terrific pictures.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SueMo said:

Three years ago we saw the Northern Lights while on a Celebrity cruise the first week of September.  The captain made the announcement around 11:00 -11:30 pm.  People went up on deck in their pajamas to see them.  They were great!  My daughter in law got some terrific pictures.

Very nice! Maybe very late August and September are the right combo! We will be on the lookout during our September 14th twelve night cruise this year!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

Hi, everyone.  The prices are so good, I’m thinking about booking a HAL cruise on September 11 (7 days, including Hubbard glacier).  Seeing auroras is on my bucket list.  Has anyone seen them from the cruise ship before? Thanks

It is always possible, but based on my experience, highly improbable.

I have worked pax vessels on the West Coast for over 30 years and in September have seen the Northern Lights a couple of times.

• Like 2

@spleenstomper:  You have found the University of Alaska Geophysical Institute's aurora forecast -- one of the best but I am somewhat biased.

If aurora viewing is on your bucket list also consider a winter visit to the Chena Hot Springs Resort which is northeast of Fairbanks.  Plan to spend several days there.  And if you are not fortunate to see the aurora you will have soaked in an outdoor rock pool, taken sled dog rides, petted reindeer, ridden on a snow machine, visited an ice museum where you can purchase an appletini in your souvenir ice glass and visited hydrophobic green houses which are operated year round with heat off the natural hot springs.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

@spleenstomper:  You have found the University of Alaska Geophysical Institute's aurora forecast -- one of the best but I am somewhat biased.

If aurora viewing is on your bucket list also consider a winter visit to the Chena Hot Springs Resort which is northeast of Fairbanks.  Plan to spend several days there.  And if you are not fortunate to see the aurora you will have soaked in an outdoor rock pool, taken sled dog rides, petted reindeer, ridden on a snow machine, visited an ice museum where you can purchase an appletini in your souvenir ice glass and visited hydrophobic green houses which are operated year round with heat off the natural hot springs.

Sounds amazing! I’m writing it down so I don’t forget it! Thanks 

The other consideration besides whether you will see them at is is how intense they will be.  I saw them once on a cruise and they were so faint that they were hardly worth looking at.  As Northern Aurora and CruiserYC  have rightly suggested if you really want to see them take a trip up north in the winter time.  I did exactly what Northern Aurora suggested - I spent a week in Fairbanks and almost a week in Chena Hot Springs in February.  The aurora were wonderful. One of the coldest time in my life but also one of the high points in my life.

DON

• Like 3

Your ship will have a naturalist. On our trip with Princess in May the naturalist was taking cabin numbers and offered to contact anyone interested in the middle of the night if the lights happened to be out. Not sure he got much sleep but it was a great offer. Check with the naturalist.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The other consideration besides whether you will see them at is is how intense they will be.  I saw them once on a cruise and they were so faint that they were hardly worth looking at.  As Northern Aurora and CruiserYC  have rightly suggested if you really want to see them take a trip up north in the winter time.  I did exactly what Northern Aurora suggested - I spent a week in Fairbanks and almost a week in Chena Hot Springs in February.  The aurora were wonderful. One of the coldest time in my life but also one of the high points in my life.

DON

I think the suggestion of going up to the lodge in Fairbanks is fabulous! I did not know it existed and appreciate the information. For us, the flight is not too bad, as we live on the Washington coast. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Here is the forecast for tonight,  just in case anyone is on a cruise. You might want to look. 

The days I’m in Juneau and the glacier are supposed to be partly cloudy with showers when I’m there, so I’m not really expecting to see one. 

039108F9-D8CD-45CB-A744-112CC3E03E46.png

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

As others have written, it will be difficult to see northern lights from where you will be sailing, and at that time of the year.  Odds are stacked against you.  The big problem is that it is much easier to see the polar lights when you are in darkness, away from all lights.  Unfortunately, most ships are lit up like Christmas trees.  

• Like 1

It is early September - - -

I am in Minnesota and already we are having tremendous displays of the Aurora Borealis.

This best in the northern lake country - no city lights !

The cities is not the place to view - way too much metro and street lighting - hard to find a

dark place to amplify the contrast.

Viewing in Alaska from the inland (interior) would be even better -

Cruise ships have to be away from the ambient coastal twilight (out to sea) and squelch

the deck lighting for best results.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is early September - - -

I am in Minnesota and already we are having tremendous displays of the Aurora Borealis.

This best in the northern lake country - no city lights !

The cities is not the place to view - way too much metro and street lighting - hard to find a

dark place to amplify the contrast.

Viewing in Alaska from the inland (interior) would be even better -

Cruise ships have to be away from the ambient coastal twilight (out to sea) and squelch

the deck lighting for best results.   

Lucky you!

• 3 weeks later...

Took my sister in law and her husband on cruise 1-11 Sep. She really wanted to see them and I told her it was a very slim chance at best. Then on first sea day at night which wss probably around 3:30 AM the sky lit up in pale green then began an Incredible display of green light dancing in the night sky. It would appear, disappear then appear. Like a switch being turned off and on over and over again. That's the only time we saw it. The weather was nothing short of outstanding with clear night skies and bright stars. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

Took my sister in law and her husband on cruise 1-11 Sep. She really wanted to see them and I told her it was a very slim chance at best. Then on first sea day at night which wss probably around 3:30 AM the sky lit up in pale green then began an Incredible display of green light dancing in the night sky. It would appear, disappear then appear. Like a switch being turned off and on over and over again. That's the only time we saw it. The weather was nothing short of outstanding with clear night skies and bright stars. 

Congrats! I saw them a few years ago via cruise ship, quite special!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, spleenstomper said:

No way to predict, but it is possible. Just back from a land tour/cruise. The Aurora occurred twice during that time.  The first time in Denali on September 3rd around midnight. The second time was on the ship between Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay: September 6th around 1 a.m.

You can request a wake up call from your hotel and cruise ship - the Aurora is sighted.  

• Like 1