E-Med Covid test kit reimbursement

marymount

Since I can’t find a local drug store or facility that offers FREE pre-cruise travel Covid testing anymore, I’ve had to resort to paying for those online monitored test kits each time we cruise. Has anyone had any luck getting reimbursed? I don’t think Medicare does for those, only the self test kits.

46 minutes ago, marymount said:

Since I can’t find a local drug store or facility that offers FREE pre-cruise travel Covid testing anymore, I’ve had to resort to paying for those online monitored test kits each time we cruise. Has anyone had any luck getting reimbursed? I don’t think Medicare does for those, only the self test kits.

We are sailing soon. We will be doing a monitored test to get the travel certificate of negative reading. When we arranged for the test we were advise to purchase their test or use one of our own in the self test.

We are using one of the Medicare reimburse ones but knew the monitored part of the test we were responsible for. Since it is not for Therapeutic use. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marymount said:

Interesting thought process. I might learn something here.

Whom do you expect to reimburse you? Share what you find please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the OP meant health insurance. There was a point where health insurance companies were all reimbursing covid testing costs. I don't know if that is still the case today. But really, at this point a covid test is just part of the cost of the trip. Not sure the obsession with a "free" test. Are you also expecting a "free" baggage fees and a "free" uber?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Yesterday we picked up 8 covid test kits (per person) from CVS and they billed Medicare.  They said under this program you are eligible for 8 test kits….per month….per person!!  😳

424270A4-FB07-4E91-A23F-1731CA10C509.jpeg

Us too......

29 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Yes, but those tests can't be used for travel purposes as they are not proctored.  Why anyone would need eight tests per month is beyond me.  

If you are possibly exposed to someone who has or possibly has been exposed to Covid, it will tell you what further action u need are. Masking or medication.

At 24 dollars for two tests / 10 for 1 test, it's worth having on hand. With USPS stop sending, glad Medicare is covering. 

This disease is Endemic and here to stay.  Need to take the proper action for self safety and others.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Yes, but those tests can't be used for travel purposes as they are not proctored.  Why anyone would need eight tests per month is beyond me.  

I think a lot of the cruises now just need a picture of a negative test with your name and date on a paper in the picture.  I think 1 test would work for everyone in a party, you would just need to change the name for each picture.  Since we are retired and will not cruise until all the protocols are finished we have never needed to take a test so I am not sure why people are getting so many.

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

If someone tests positive, the protocol is to isolate for 5 days and wear a mask at all times except when eating/sleeping,  test every other day. After 5 days if your symptom free, you can leave isolation, but your supposed to wear a mask when ever you leave home. In the meantime you're testing every other day. If symptom free after a total of 10 days...you're free.  However if you have symptoms during the 10 days, the clock starts over. YMMV per your local rules.

The free test kits from the feds ends today. 

• Like 1

CDC US COVID isolation rules are to isolate five days (day one is the first day after you noticed symptoms, or the day you tested positive if no symptoms).  You are not required to wear a mask if you are alone isolating.  If you had no symptoms, you may end isolation after day five.  You may end isolation after day five if you had symptoms, as long as you have had no fever for 24 hours and your symptoms have improved. You should continue to wear a mask around others until day ten unless you have two sequential negative test results at least 48 hours apart, which allows you to remove your mask before day ten.  You are not required to test every other day during isolation, nor are you required to test after your isolation ended. 

I worked as a COVID-19 contact tracer for ~18 months and must have given these instructions hundreds of times.  Free test kit program was suspended as of today, 02 Sept, because Congress has not approved additional funding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I think a lot of the cruises now just need a picture of a negative test with your name and date on a paper in the picture.  I think 1 test would work for everyone in a party, you would just need to change the name for each picture.  Since we are retired and will not cruise until all the protocols are finished we have never needed to take a test so I am not sure why people are getting so many.

That would be totally worthless.  I had a young lady trying to check in for a flight to a country that required a negative COVID test.  She brought her testing stick to show me as proof.  I could not accept that; an official lab test was required.  To make her flight, she had to use the airport testing facility and pay $259 for an Antigen test.

For All Sailings Departing on or after September 5, 2022 from U.S. Homeports with No Stops in Bermuda or Canada 

If your cruise visits Bermuda or Canada, test protocols for your cruise are in the next section. 

Guests 5 years of age and older who are not fully vaccinated must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day, regardless of the duration of their cruise.

Fully vaccinated guests 5 years of age and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 antigen or PCR test taken within the 3 days before boarding day on sailings that are 10 nights or longer only. Testing is not required for fully vaccinated guests on shorter itineraries. 

Guests younger than 5 do not have any testing requirements.

Required testing for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, can be completed using any type of PCR or antigen test. It can be professionally proctored by a healthcare professional, such as your doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits are not required to be conducted under live video supervision. 

Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense. 

The above is from Royal Caribbean's website.  Depending on the itinerary, date, number of nights etc. home test kits do not need to be under live supervision.   Totally worthless would be a good description.  LOL 

14 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

That would be totally worthless.  I had a young lady trying to check in for a flight to a country that required a negative COVID test.  She brought her testing stick to show me as proof.  I could not accept that; an official lab test was required.  To make her flight, she had to use the airport testing facility and pay $259 for an Antigen test.

26 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Also from Royal Caribbean website:

Accepted Tests for U.S. Cruises Departing on or After September 5, 2022; with No Stops in Canada or Bermuda

• The test you take can be professionally administered by a health professional, such as a doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits for these sailings are not required to be administered under live video supervision.
  • You will present the negative test result at the time of boarding. You can show it in the form of a printout, an email, or an app screen from the test provider.  Or you can show a picture of your negative home test on your phone, or present the actual negative test itself.

4 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

These tests can be used because Royal accepts results from other online companies who will proctor all type of test kits…

Onpoint

Rapid Test and Trace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1