When did Pinnacle Grill start charging for appetizer?

TotallyCruzin

16 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

If they start charging for additional starters in the MDR, I'm heading to the Lido where i can accumulate many plates of food without guilt or extra charge.

Maybe without extra charge, but the guilt part... not so sure about that. 🤪

2 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Already too many complaints about the PG - Best that HAL focus on quality & service vs surcharges IMO.

I still can't figure out what is so bad about the PG.  Do you eat better at home?  Heck, I'm glad it isn't the Golden Corral or something like that.  People always find something to complain about.  I avoid them like the plague.

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I still can't figure out what is so bad about the PG.  Do you eat better at home?  Heck, I'm glad it isn't the Golden Corral or something like that.  People always find something to complain about.  I avoid them like the plague.

I couldn’t agree with you more. Sone of these people probably think Olive Garden is the best Italian ever, and will gladly pay $40 to eat there and gorge on rubber bread

• Thanks 2

We ate at the PG on our last trip (Koningsdam), and were impressed by the quality, service, and overall cost. We occasionally enjoy high end dining all over the world and our PG experience was on par with some of the better bistro/steakhouses we've seen. One caveat: we're from the west coast of Canada, so may be more familiar with modest portions and a focus on saucing and sides (with some French influence in our high end restaurants here).

We chose to pay for a few add-ons, including the lobster Mac (wow!), and the caviar (to celebrate our first real vacation post-pandemic). The up-charges seemed reasonable, and we ended up with leftovers that we brought back to the room for midnight snacks.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, robotpony said:

We ate at the PG on our last trip (Koningsdam), and were impressed by the quality, service, and overall cost. We occasionally enjoy high end dining all over the world and our PG experience was on par with some of the better bistro/steakhouses we've seen. One caveat: we're from the west coast of Canada, so may be more familiar with modest portions and a focus on saucing and sides (with some French influence in our high end restaurants here).

We chose to pay for a few add-ons, including the lobster Mac (wow!), and the caviar (to celebrate our first real vacation post-pandemic). The up-charges seemed reasonable, and we ended up with leftovers that we brought back to the room for midnight snacks.

I've got caviar on my "wish list" on the Koningsdam for Xmas cruise!! Can't wait!!! 🙂

• Like 1

So, just back from Pinnacle Grill on Rotterdam.  Service was attentive and food was acceptable to good.  I had the crab cakes and fillet mignon with green pepper sauce.  I found the pepper sauce to be a bit too fluid for my liking, however I had held back on the garlic butter that was served with the bread and used it instead.  I requested medium, and it was served medium rare (it was more than pink in the middle it was red).

DW had the iceberg salad and lamb chops, which were served the way they were ordered.

My chocolate souffle was a shade undercooked but DW's lemon sorbet was perfection.

There was no notice about a charge for additional starters, but it did mention the charge for additional entrees.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I have always been able to order 2 appetizers (soup & salad or salad & something else usually) plus one main & one desert for the cover charge. I think many people (most maybe) usually do this for a specialty restaurant. I wish they would just raise the price of the cover charge a few dollars rather than nickel and dime you at every turn. I also notice that the lobster mac & cheese is gone which I always found to be quite good. The big question now is will this roll over to MDR and other specialty restaurants as well.

• Like 1

DW and I have found a solution to the “classy” Pinnacle issue re add ons.  If we order a salad and starter and they tell us we must pay an add on we simply refuse.  Than DW sends me up to the Lido to get two free salads which I bring back to the Pinnacle.  But not a word to the waiter or the staff. But simply the deed.  They likely could care less.  Of course we could care less about any tip.  Such is the state of the “upscale” line we all call HAL.

Hank

PS. A few years ago we paid for dinner in the Pinnacle and they charged us extra for DWs tea.  A few nights later we returned for another dinner and DW asked for a cup of hot water which was free.  She had her Tea Bag taken from the Lido at breakfast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

DW and I have found a solution to the “classy” Pinnacle issue re add ons.  If we order a salad and starter and they tell us we must pay an add on we simply refuse.  Than DW sends me up to the Lido to get two free salads which I bring back to the Pinnacle.  But not a word to the waiter or the staff. But simply the deed.  They likely could care less.  Of course we could care less about any tip.  Such is the state of the “upscale” line we all call HAL.

Hank

PS. A few years ago we paid for dinner in the Pinnacle and they charged us extra for DWs tea.  A few nights later we returned for another dinner and DW asked for a cup of hot water which was free.  She had her Tea Bag taken from the Lido at breakfast.

I love this idea 😂.  That is crazy about the tea.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:40 PM, mrspeck said:

We are currently on the Zuiderdam and were in the Pinnacle last night.  Everything was excellent.  We paid for three up charge items at our table of 7.  A Delmonico, Caviar and lobster Mac & Cheese.  I’m not a caviar expert so won’t judge that but the other two items were excellent.  However, last November on Nieuw Statendam the Delmonico and the lobster Mac were awful.  Wasn’t sure we’d go back, but they redeemed themselves last night.  I can’t believe how different the the two Mac and cheeses tasted.  Our experiences show how there can be big differences between ships.  We loved Rudi’s on that Nieuw Statendam trip but were much less impressed a couple months later on the Koningsdam.  One question…does anyone know if mariners discounts apply to up charge items in  the pinnacle or just the cover?

The Mariner's discount does not apply to the upcharge items, i.e. lobster, delmonico steak,etc.   Also - no more Mariner's Discount at the sushi bar in Tamarind.  Big disappointment when we learned that on our second trip onboard the Rotterdam.

1 minute ago, ABubbe said:

The Mariner's discount does not apply to the upcharge items, i.e. lobster, delmonico steak,etc.   Also - no more Mariner's Discount at the sushi bar in Tamarind.  Big disappointment when we learned that on our second trip onboard the Rotterdam.

Did Nami Sushi have a Mariner's Discount originally? I've never read that. 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Beecher's Lobster Mac n' cheese is still on the menu with a $10 surcharge.

Enjoy the Mac n' cheese while you can. 

New Pinnacle Grill Menu probably starting for the Caribbean season deletes it.  I have posted the new PG menu for my December Caribbean cruise that has the following changes of note:

• DELETED Tomahawk steak.
  • REPLACED Jindori chicken breast with corn-fed chicken breast.
  • REPLACED Mac n' cheese with hashed potatoes w/truffle blue cheese aioli.
  • ADDED gourmet cheesecake lollipops.
  • DELETED $18 supplement for Alaskan King crab legs.
  • ADDED four Chateau Ste Michelle wines by the glass.
  • No surcharges for sides/appetizers.

New PG Menu

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

THANKS @Crew Newsfor posting the updated menu! I'm very pleased with the changes and look forward to our upcoming sailings! And @albingirlI personaly wasn't complaining about the PG - just making an observation based on many other CC comments. We typically eat in the PG most nights and enjoy the food, the service and the experience - and like others, sometimes love just enjoying various appetizers for our evening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You must give the waitstaff such fodder to share down in their crews quarters

”So This Guy Disappears, Then Comes Back With Two Salads From The Lido”

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

59 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Enjoy the Mac n' cheese while you can. 

New Pinnacle Grill Menu probably starting for the Caribbean season deletes it.  I have posted the new PG menu for my December Caribbean cruise that has the following changes of note:

• DELETED Tomahawk steak.
  • REPLACED Jindori chicken breast with corn-fed chicken breast.
  • REPLACED Mac n' cheese with hashed potatoes w/truffle blue cheese aioli.
  • ADDED gourmet cheesecake lollipops.
  • DELETED $18 supplement for Alaskan King crab legs.
  • ADDED four Chateau Ste Michelle wines by the glass.
  • No surcharges for sides/appetizers.

New PG Menu

Thank you for posting.  It's nice how they do subtle changes that keep the menu fresh, but it's still familiar.   Nice to see crab legs back in the mix.   😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks so much for reporting back @VMax1700. Good to get confirmation that extra apps are included. I’ve had the same experience with undercooked beef on HAL. Learned to ask for medium if I want medium rare. 

Same here - I go with medium, especially on the filets.  Works our fine that way.  I think that they err on the side of more rare when cooking as they can always cook it a bit more if you do not like it.

• Like 3