DVD player available?

whoshwhosh

On Jewel, you should have easy access to the HDMI ports. I brought a Firestick 2 months ago and was able to use it just fine.

So maybe bring something like this ($50). You can use the built-in screen or connect to a TV via HDMI.

71AR1n82MeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/YOTON-Portable-Battery-Multiple-Projector/dp/B09P12W1SQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2SNJZYWBAKZTX&keywords=portable+dvd+player&qid=1662120407&sprefix=portable+dvd+player%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-4

If you need BluRay support, here's one for $99, without a built-in screen:

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-Portable-Theater-Control-Support/dp/B08ZCNXN4W/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3ESIFQA1UXGOA&keywords=portable+blu+ray+player&qid=1662120616&sprefix=portable+blu+ray+player%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-6

8 hours ago, whoshwhosh said:

Will be staying in a Grand Suite on the Jewel in January. Will there be a DVD player with the television?

Yes we have had DVD players on most of our non oasis class grand suites , if it’s not there double check with concierge.

23 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Watching DVDs on a cruise? Maybe stay home and watch TV and save the $$$  🙂 

DH has mobility and health issues so he needs to limit his walking. Our cruise has 4 sea days, we get the Grand Suite for him to enjoy the space and enjoy movies when the walking is too much for him.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, whoshwhosh said:

DH has mobility and health issues so he needs to limit his walking. Our cruise has 4 sea days, we get the Grand Suite for him to enjoy the space and enjoy movies when the walking is too much for him.

No need to defend how you choose to spend your time on your cruise. Cruise Critic has lots of people who are helpful and  courteous, and unfortunately a few who feel the need to stir the pot.

In response to your question: you should receive an email from your concierge a few days before your cruise, and you can ask him/her if one can be made available. Or, if you want to be sure ahead of time, the products suggested by RobInMN would be a good option too.

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise! 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

No need to defend how you choose to spend your time on your cruise. Cruise Critic has lots of people who are helpful and  courteous, and unfortunately a few who feel the need to stir the pot.

In response to your question: you should receive an email from your concierge a few days before your cruise, and you can ask him/her if one can be made available. Or, if you want to be sure ahead of time, the products suggested by RobInMN would be a good option too.

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise! 🙂 

Thank you for the kind words and info

On 9/2/2022 at 5:12 AM, RobInMN said:

On Jewel, you should have easy access to the HDMI ports. I brought a Firestick 2 months ago and was able to use it just fine.

So maybe bring something like this ($50). You can use the built-in screen or connect to a TV via HDMI.

https://www.amazon.com/YOTON-Portable-Battery-Multiple-Projector/dp/B09P12W1SQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2SNJZYWBAKZTX&keywords=portable+dvd+player&qid=1662120407&sprefix=portable+dvd+player%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-Portable-Theater-Control-Support/dp/B08ZCNXN4W/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3ESIFQA1UXGOA&keywords=portable+blu+ray+player&qid=1662120616&sprefix=portable+blu+ray+player%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-6

We also brought our firestick on our Jewel July cruise and had no problem watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount Plus and Hulu. We hooked it up and could see it on our large OS TV.

We do this on all our cruises and have had no problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islandchick said:

If someone on these boards can tell you what brand of tv it is then you can buy a cheap remote control and small travel dvd player along with a hdmi cable (thats what I do). We also watch dvds on lazy sea days and I refuse to pay for the on demand movies. 

Their always Samsung TV's.

5 hours ago, Moltar said:

When I stayed in Grand Suite in 02 on Explorer we had a DVD player. That was 20 years ago 😉 

Not available in any OS we've been in the last few years. This is a thing of the past.

8 hours ago, whoshwhosh said:

Sorry someone made you feel the need to explain your husband’s medical issues. We’re kind of a tough crowd here, and many people make assumptions about others’ situations based on their own limited view of the world.

Enjoy your cruise….I myself will be bringing movies on my iPad for when the weather makes me use a treadmill instead of the outdoor track. Guess I should stay home too 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

Even if it isn't a suite, I would be shocked it they weren't available at guest services. Cruise ships love their up charges. 🤔

Be shocked....because they aren't available on any RCI ships.

14 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Not stirring the pot Mr busy body. Making a rational opinionated comment. I believe that is the idea of an open forum. SMH

10 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Not stirring the pot Mr busy body. Making a rational opinionated comment. I believe that is the idea of an open forum. SMH

So based on your 'rational opinion', people who may have disabilities or mobility issues, or others like me that take medications such as chemo, who may possibly have a day or two where they may require some extra rest and relaxation in the cabin should just stay home?  Are we offending your sensibilities because we are wasting money on a cruise to enjoy time away from home and not spending our time like you think we should?  I see nothing rational in your opinion, just your opinion.

Edited by jk04

On 9/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, RobInMN said:

Don't you still have to have a good wifi for this to work?

11 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

You’re calling him a busybody?

FYI that same open forum also extends to comments in response to yours. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

"rational opinionated" is an oxymoron. One is either rational or opinionated, but both cannot exist at the same time. BTW, when you SYH, do you hear a rattle?😇

• Haha 1