DVD player available?

whoshwhosh

54 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don't even have one at home anymore.  Are you actually planning to travel with DVDs?

We always brought some dvds on older rccl ships , tv shows are pitiful on rccl, we don’t spend the day watching tv but I like watching when my wife is dressing , never watch a whole movie but watch some music videos or Big Bang episodes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Not stirring the pot Mr busy body. Making a rational opinionated comment. I believe that is the idea of an open forum. SMH

I think opinionated as in arrogant correctly describes your comment.  

• Like 2

Just now, George C said:

Concierge did have a small selection that you good borrow.

Makes sense. Thanks.   One would hope if they have a DVD selection they also have a way to play them!  😃

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

We always brought some dvds on older rccl ships , tv shows are pitiful on rccl, we don’t spend the day watching tv but I like watching when my wife is dressing , never watch a whole movie but watch some music videos or Big Bang episodes.

We have PlutoTV loaded on our iPads. Watch Johnny Carson every evening on the stateroom tv. 

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I'll assume the key word here is "did"...Haven't seen this in years as being something the CL did used to offer.

I have not cruised on the ships that used to have them so I am not sure , in last 5 years did mostly celebrity or oasis class and one MSc yacht club. 

8 hours ago, hey-buc said:

Don't you still have to have a good wifi for this to work?

Not sure if you are referring to the DVD Player or the FIrestick, but you wouldn't need WiFI for the DVD Player. Firestick, yes. I had Voom S &S, and as the WiFi quality went down, the picture quality decreased. But it was still usable.

See my answer in this thread:

Edited by RobInMN

48 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We used our firestick with very little to no problems on our recent Arctic Circle cruise.

May I ask how you connected it? Last cruise we were on they had the “input” button blocked so we couldn’t change it to use the fire stick.  What is the trick to change the input?

37 minutes ago, thethreeofus said:

May I ask how you connected it? Last cruise we were on they had the “input” button blocked so we couldn’t change it to use the fire stick.  What is the trick to change the input?

It seems to depend on the ship. On Jewel, we could just switch it. This is the first, and so far only, time I've tried to use the Firestick.

I've read other threads that say that on newer ships, like you indicate, the remote either doesn't have an input button or that it is locked out. I'd have to search and find the instructions, but I think it involves, turning off the TV, disconnecting the network cable, then turning the TV back on. Without begin connected to the network, it will no longer boot automatically to the ship menu locking you out. I am not sure if it will automatically detect the HDMI Input or if you can then use the Input button to switch. The other thing I have seen mentioned (and I brought one, but did not need to use it), is to bring a universal remote.

I believe I read that the difference on which method you can use depends on whether or not you can  view your bill via the TV. 

If traveling internationally, you may want a VPN service installed. Especially for any streaming service where you can get local channels (YTTV or Hulu+Live)

1 hour ago, thethreeofus said:

We've had no problem on the older ships and the newer ones bringing our firestick and universal remote to use when necessary. On one of the newer ones our cabin steward had an electrician come to our cabin and they showed my DH how to access the input and disconnect the interactive TV. On another ship they even came and switched out the TV for us. Amazing service we tend to get when staying in suites. Thanks RCI !!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moltar said:

Please read my first post on this at 10:28am Saturday morning 

We have done 6 grand suites well after your 2002 cruise that had DVD players 3 on navigator 2 on Liberty and one 7 years ago on brilliance all had DVD players, only suites we cruised on without dvd was oasis and last years allure. 

Another option is to RIP your DVDs to .mp4 files.  Then copy them to your tablet or  thumb drive.  You will need an HDMI cable and a cheap universal remote.

I just recently returned from a Celebrity Summit B2B to Greenland and Iceland where I was unsuccessful in getting my universal remote to change the input on the TV.  So we watched the movies on my tablet.  I did not think to disconnect the network cable from the TV.  Now I know and as G..I. Joe would say "and knowing is have the battle."

Having all my favorite movies available was great as we both got Covid on the second leg and had to quarantine for 7 days.  

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I just asked about a DVD player from my Suite Concierge for my upcoming trip on Serenade of the Seas and they stated they don't have them on the ship any more. I am hoping my Firestick will work. I have 4 sea days and the activities during the day are kinda meh. The plan is to relax on my balcony, defrost in my suite and stream a movie or 2, and catch up on my reading.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, Ashland said:

We also brought our firestick on our Jewel July cruise and had no problem watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount Plus and Hulu. We hooked it up and could see it on our large OS TV.

We do this on all our cruises and have had no problems.

So just to be clear, you need an internet package to use a firestick/appletv in your cabin?  We were just planning on bringing our DVD player along with a bunch of movies for the kids at night before going down.

36 minutes ago, Scotico said:

So just to be clear, you need an internet package to use a firestick/appletv in your cabin?  We were just planning on bringing our DVD player along with a bunch of movies for the kids at night before going down.

That is correct.