HAL drops testing!

julia

It looks like proof of a negative test (for fully vaccinated passengers) prior to boarding for cruises longer then 14 days has been dropped. We sail Dec. 20, 16 nights on Zaandam and it isn't on the Enhanced list.

Edited by tartanmom
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I don’t know about cruises that just have a stop in Canada, but definitely any cruise that begins in Canada requires a test before embarkation. Given that the Canada cruise season ends next month, they won’t likely change that before the start of next season.

That is our assumption as well and what we have planned for when we sail out of Quebec in less than a month. I'd rather be overprepared than under. 

I really don't understand this logic. My flight goes into Canada and at this point my ArrivCan app does NOT require testing to enter the country. My cruise departs from Canada at Vancouver and is on the enhanced protocol list yet ArrivCan does NOT require 72 hour testing at this point! So why would the cruise lines? Direct from the ArrivCan website: 

"Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult."

Just now, kathyRW said:

I really don't understand this logic. My flight goes into Canada and at this point my ArrivCan app does NOT require testing to enter the country. My cruise departs from Canada at Vancouver and is on the enhanced protocol list yet ArrivCan does NOT require 72 hour testing at this point! So why would the cruise lines? Direct from the ArrivCan website: 

"Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult."

Canada...not the cruise lines, specifically require testing if you are boarding a cruise ship that touches Canada..either starts, ends or visits Canada. That is the situation in 25 words or less.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Canada...not the cruise lines, specifically require testing if you are boarding a cruise ship that touches Canada..either starts, ends or visits Canada. That is the situation in 25 words or less.

Well, why does ArriveCan say they don't require testing for vaxxed persons then??? I will already be in Vancouver, through customs with no testing requirement. After the ship leaves we don't come into Canada again. Makes no sense.

1 minute ago, kathyRW said:

Well, why does ArriveCan say they don't require testing for vaxxed persons then??? I will already be in Vancouver, through customs with no testing requirement. After the ship leaves we don't come into Canada again. Makes no sense.

Its because you are involved with a congregate setting.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kathyRW said:

Ah but they do say you must test if you are getting on or off or your CRUISE ship touches Canada even if you personally don't get off.  Read it here: (my highlighting/bolding)

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    • it must be administered or observed by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth online service
    •  

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

Ah but they do say you must test if you are getting on or off or your CRUISE ship touches Canada even if you personally don't get off.  Read it here: (my highlighting/bolding)

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise. You must provide proof of one of the following accepted types of test results:

1. Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship
    • the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board
    • for example, if your ship is scheduled to leave on Friday, you could provide proof of a negative result from an antigen test taken any time on Wednesday, Thursday, or on Friday
    • the test must be authorized for sale or distribution in Canada or in the jurisdiction in which it was obtained
  2. Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time
    • for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday
    •  

This is *really* confusing because they directly contradict themselves. One page says Yes you proctored testing and the other page says NO you don't. What has getting on a cruise ship *to leave Canada* have anything to do with it? HAL says testing is because Canada requires it, yet they actually don't to enter the country. Where is any sort of common sense??? This is a problem for me because we do not have proctored testing anywhere near our home (last time I had to drive 45 miles R/T to get the test done).

@kathyRWIt's Canada's rule. You'll have to ask them about their "common sense".  As CruiserBruce said, it's because a ship is a congregate setting. When their site refers to entering by "water" they mean ferries, personal pleasure craft, etc.  The testing rule is specifically for cruise ships only.

The pre cruise testing for ArriveCAN is no more than 72 hours before boarding if you do a PCR test.  It's no more than 2 days if you take a proctored antigen test.

Do you have a Walgreens, CVS, Minute Clinic or the like near you.  There are several right in Sacramento.

There are also testing sites near the cruise terminal in Vancouver, or you could use one of the online proctoring test sites with your own approved test kit.  This can be done at your hotel or at home.  I will be taking my pre boarding online proctored test at my hotel in Vancouver within 2 days of boarding on September 25th.

When is your cruise?

~Nancy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@kathyRWIt's Canada's rule. You'll have to ask them about their "common sense".  As CruiserBruce said, it's because a ship is a congregate setting. When their site refers to entering by "water" they mean ferries, personal pleasure craft, etc.  The testing rule is specifically for cruise ships only.

The pre cruise testing for ArriveCAN is no more than 72 hours before boarding if you do a PCR test.  It's no more than 2 days if you take a proctored antigen test.

Do you have a Walgreens, CVS, Minute Clinic or the like near you.  There are several right in Sacramento.

There are also testing sites near the cruise terminal in Vancouver, or you could use one of the online proctoring test sites with your own approved test kit.  This can be done at your hotel or at home.  I will be taking my pre boarding online proctored test at my hotel in Vancouver within 2 days of boarding on September 25th.

When is your cruise?

~Nancy

I'll need to check again but I live outside of Sacramento, not in town. The last cruise I tried to find rapid proctored testing, none of our local Walgreens/CVS offered it. Only the "up to 2 days" results type, which is cutting it too close since we fly in before the cruise date. I had to drive 45 miles R/T to find a clinic that did rapid testing and it was $100pp. So really a major problem.

@kathyRWYou don't need the PCR, do you?  If you are flying in more than 2 days before, as I am, then you would need to do it in Vancouver anyway.  Several options there.  As I said, I'm doing the online proctored test for $25 using a test kit I already have.

Good luck, 

~Nancy

1 minute ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I PRAY Italy’s pharmacies will still offer monitored tests in November. Looks like a 14-day cruiser will need to be tested pre-sailaway. Hmm. 

You can do the online proctored tests in Italy, or anywhere worldwide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, julia said:

Yes, it is really news for many....

Not sure for whom if you have  been reading the boards, sorry.

Same rules as were posted for sailings after September 6th, 2022.  However, it is nice to see a clarification and the enhanced protocol cruises listed for testing for the specific cruises now to eliminate any questions.  👍 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

You can do the online proctored tests in Italy, or anywhere worldwide.

Anywhere..?? So… A Naples or Rome’s hotel Front desks can/will steer us guests to the proper ‘Test site’?? I asked this before, so apologies, but things are changing….

5 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Anywhere..?? So… A Naples or Rome’s hotel Front desks can/will steer us guests to the proper ‘Test site’?? I asked this before, so apologies, but things are changing….

Oakridge was talking about the on line proctored tests, I believe.  However, a minimal amount of googling will let you know the availability of test sites or you can email your hotel.

I’ve already checked it out for my embarkation port and it’s piece of cake unless things change and the cost is quite reasonable.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, oakridger said:

@kathyRWYou don't need the PCR, do you?  If you are flying in more than 2 days before, as I am, then you would need to do it in Vancouver anyway.  Several options there.  As I said, I'm doing the online proctored test for $25 using a test kit I already have.

Good luck, 

~Nancy

We're actually flying in the day before, so technically we could test here at home prior to flying. Which is much preferred just in the off chance that either of us test positive- no reason to get on the plane then. But we would need the same day results type test. Can't wait on the 2-3 day results that are commonly offered in case they don't show up. I am going to look into the possibility of virtual testing before we leave and hope that we can manage to do it successfully. Most of the virtual testing services charge a lot per person for same day results. *Maybe* we could do it in Vancouver but that would be scary last minute and we would have no car to get to a testing place. This is all such a major roadblock. Thanks Canada for applying different standards for cruise pax.

• Like 1

If you don't get your results in time, HA claims they will provide antigen tests at the terminal given a dated receipt for a test. There is also testing available close to the airport and cruise terminals (though we tested in the burbs, closer to home). We tested south of Vancouver in August, and had our antigen results in 20 minutes.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, Red Haired Lady said:

For Australia it says that a "medically observed or self-administered antigen test within 24 hours" is required.  What do they mean by a self- administered antigen test? Apparently not medically observed as it does say "or."  So can we use one of the free at home tests?  And how do we prove this? 

image.png.3fe05f7abc446d100be5c74dcfbcb3bc.png

You don't have to be supervised.  Bring a RATS from home and test yourself.  

12 hours ago, kathyRW said:

We're actually flying in the day before, so technically we could test here at home prior to flying. Which is much preferred just in the off chance that either of us test positive- no reason to get on the plane then. But we would need the same day results type test. Can't wait on the 2-3 day results that are commonly offered in case they don't show up. I am going to look into the possibility of virtual testing before we leave and hope that we can manage to do it successfully. Most of the virtual testing services charge a lot per person for same day results. *Maybe* we could do it in Vancouver but that would be scary last minute and we would have no car to get to a testing place. 

@kathyRW the antigen tests return results in 15 minutes and the proctoring or live sites will send an email with your result shortly thereafter.  Only the PCR lab-based tests are the ones that take a few days.  You don't need that one. Virtual proctoring sites are currently charging about $20-$25 per test if you supply the test and you have your results emailed in less that 30 minutes from start to finish.  You can get tests for free from the government or insurance. (You can also buy test from eMed or Optum and the monitoring is included in the price....it takes a few days to ship their test kits to you though).

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

@kathyRWEven though I will already be in Vancouver when the 2 day testing window opens up and I will do my test in my hotel, I am going to do a self-test (not proctored so not official) before I fly up.  If I should test positive, then there will be time to get retested officially before I fly and I can cancel if the positive is confirmed.

~Nancy

Just a horrible idea to not test. My wife and I got off the Oosterdam yesterday in Venice and she got Covid 5 days before the end of the cruise. Even with testing Covid was all over the ship maybe hundreds of unreported cases. Without testing who knows how many more cases would have been on our cruise. It has become a nightmare for us as my wife is now in 2 more days of quarantine at a hotel in Venice. You can read about our nightmare in this CC posting. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Dizziedi said:

You don't have to be supervised.  Bring a RATS from home and test yourself.  

How do you give proof of the negative test to the cruise line? How do they know when it was taken?  Needs to be 48  hours prior to boarding.  I board the Noordam in Sydney in Nov.